When did the obsession with articulation start?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Recall, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    These days I find so many people finding faults with many TF figures and that the lack of articluation to be the most common one, especially when looking at say G1 or a specific mold.

Am I the only one whose really doesn't care about articulation and doesn't exactly spend their time wanting to create "action" poses? For myself it being a giant robot that folds into a car is simply enough.

When did articluation become an important aspect of Transformers for you?

2. Xaedrahk

Xaedrahk Prime-otions!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Articulation became a factor for me when I got my G2 black trailer Optimus Prime and was mildly frustrated that his legs couldn't bend forward.

Frustration magnified when I got G2 Tankmegs and noticed he was a brick save his arms.

3. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Beast Wars introduced the ball joint, I think the rest is history.

As for me I do not have an obsession wiht articulation. All my figures are displayed basically standing with arms to the side holding thier weapons.

Thanx
    Transbot90210

4. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    For me, it was around late 2005 or so, when I started noticing how much fun the Revenge of the Sith figures with what was then much greater than standard articulation were. Once I got a taste of it and enjoyed it more and more, I eventually got to the point that I expected it.

Gimmicky or pre-posed figures (or brick TFs) can still be fun for me, though - I don't automatically hate a TF because I can't rotate its head or a 3.75" figure because it doesn't have ankle joints.

5. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When toy engineering tech reached a point where the Transformation gimmick was not enough for me. People want to do stuff with their figures. Bricks are just transformable statues. Many times this results in inaccuracies from their screen counterpart, not to mention they can't do half of what the screen counterpart can do. Or heck even a better looking and engineered toy.

Most of the time articulation gives the figure the ability to transform anyway, so the two go together quite nicely. Also you are paying big bucks for a figure, you might as well get your money's worth. Plus, Articulation is a ton more fun. Posing and action are basically half the joy in a figure in my opinion. It's what makes Transformers special. They are action figures that can change form and still retain the abilities, such as articulation, other comparable action figures have.

6. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Most probably it's around the time of BW for me & continued over to RID.

7. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I've ALWAYS wanted articulation on my Transformers since the 80's when the G1 toys first hit. When I was a kid, I wasn't able to give them articulation or anything, BUT I certainly hated some of them for being straight up BRICKS. I still loved the toys regardless, but I did hate the way they wouldn't move well or pose well.

It wasn't until I got into kitbashing that I really went all out on articulating some of my figures or building what I had always wanted since I was a kid.

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Nope

Ball joints were in TFs for quite a while before Beast Wars. Hell, G1 prime's trailer has a ball joint(combat deck arm). astrotrain has ball joints in his shoulders. the aerial bot limb members have ball joints in their shoulders. We first saw them gain widespread use in G2 though. the cyberjets were almost completely reliant on balljoints for their articulation.

9. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    While I do whole-heartedly agree that there can be too much articulation, I can not stand not having articulation unless it is g1 or legends size. I think at the very least a toy needs to have shoulds, hips, knees, elbows and a neck. and I'd really prefer the things I buy to have shoulder, thigh, and wrist swivels as well. plus ankle movement for better stability.

Personally I am more annoyed with extra fiddly kibble, like on rotf brawns hips, that I have to keep rearranging if I accidentally hit it while fidgeting with the toy

10. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

For me, articulation in a Transformer toy started when I got into the Master Grade Gundam kits. The Zeta and later Zeta A1 and C1 really showed that you could have a fully articulated "action figure" that could still pull insanely intricate transformations.

As a kid, I didn't mind that most of my Transformers were bricks because I played with them using my imagination. As an adult collector, I like articulation as it gives me many more options for posing.

11. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    In the beginning of G1, Transformers were basically approached as diecast toy vehicles that happened to transform. It was a toy car with a gimmick. They weren't really thought of as 'action figures' till later on. It's only when you think of them as action figures that you begin to prioritise things like articulation and proportion.

I've never been an action figure person so articulation didn't really bother me until I came to expect it. I'm more the sort to leave the TF in alt mode.

12. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    G1s are the only line that can get away with being bricks (but I'd classify pretenders as being "unacceptably lame") & the fact that a lot of G2 was still bricks (combined with their gawdy colours) means I will never be a G2 fan.

That's why (IMO) BW was the massive leap forward in toy-engineering TFs needed. The poseability & playability of BW had a massive appeal to kids who wouldn't have given G2 a second glance. That's one of the main reasons why we get so shitty at the regression from "articulation back to brick" that was Armada & Energon.

I wouldn't say "obsession" is the right word - more like "adding to the fun factor". :) 

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    some modern bricks are awesome though. overload and wing saber. wing saber's the biggest brick to have ever bricked, but he looks fantastic.

14. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I sort of recall Beast Era and Car Robots instilling articulation as a stated necessity by the vocal majority online.

15. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I dont rate G1 figures on their articulation because, let's face it, they didnt have any back then and you can't retroactively grade them. However, because I like articulation, I simply don't buy G1 unless I really like the character. Besides, most of them are too small and overpriced.

But to answer your question of when did it become an issue to me... I got back into TFs when RiD was ending, and at first I was buying G1 stuff, but then I got Cryotek, and I decided toys with knees are a lot more interesting.

16. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    TF articulation didn't start until AFTER I started collecting other figures and for some reason ToyFare magazine started drooling over it.
    Spawn toys had tons of it and so on.

I didn't notice articulation in TFs because i was ignoring the current line (Beast Wars.)

But i guess it was RiD that opened my eyes and it started to matter.
    There are still brick-TFs out there (even in newer lines) that i like more than some really articulated figures. I like Robot Heroes G1 Jazz 1000x more than Scalpel.

it isn't everything to me, but what articulation we get past standard G1, if done right, is just a bowl of cherries to me.

17. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    At the tail end of G2 - some of the first Transformers I received were the Cyberjets, Laser Rods, and Laser Cycles - obviously the line moved from there to Beast Wars quite fast and the rest is history.

For me it's one of the first things I look for in a Transformer - I absolutely can't stand toys with limited articulation and that's why I don't collect any G1 stuff.

18. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    To clarify that I expect at least universal movement (be it through ball joint, universal joint, a combination of hinge and swivel) in at least 8 areas (2x Shoulders, 2x Elbows, 2x Hips, 2x Knees).

19. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    For me it's not so much a factor of being able to put them in action poses, it's not being limited in how I can play with the toy. If I want an action pose, I can have one, something a G1 toy cant do for instance, but I can also goof around and see if I can do anything silly with the toy, or have it interact with another like my Kamen Rider figures with TF bikes. I love my G1 toys, don't get me wrong, but the less limited a toy can be the better.

20. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Toys must have articulation in my opinion because it adds so much to the wow factor. Otherwise, they are just boring....

Personally, most of my toys are in action positions because I don't play with them but I love making little mini battles on my shelves.