When designing a Transformer...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SoundShock, Oct 1, 2009.

1. SoundShock

SoundShock Go home, Steve.

Some of you will see this thread and go "lol stupid question." But please bear with me on this topic. Which is designed first? The robot or the altmode?

2. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I guess back in the day it was all about finding a real-life alt mode and creating a robot out of that. But nowadays I think it's a little of both, a kind of give-and-take and will vary depending on the designer in charge of any given Transformer. I think they only real exception recently are the movies, where Bay and co pick what they want the robots to transform into and ILM and Hasbro go from there.

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Aaron Archer once stated on these boards that the designers always start from the alt mode. I imagine that where they aren't trying for total realism and accuracy, it's common for the vehicle mode to then be adjusted a bit to help accommodate the robot form. Otherwise I can't imagine "Hey, I'm going to put a robot head on top of this truck! Now let's design a robot mode that ends up with its head in the same place" being the design approach for Energon Ironhide...

The movie TFs might be an exception in the case of the Cybertronian alt-modes, I don't know.

4. Ellamin

Ellamin Moonbeam Dreamer

News Credits:
    Realistic; Alt modes first. Cybertronian; Bots first.

5. HiKaizer

HiKaizer Plot Botherer

Well when I personally draw and make up stuff it's the alt mode first for one simple reason. I need to know what kibble I'm working with. Drawing it also gives me a feel for the important elements. Then in my mind I sort of do a concept transformation, so I can figure out what parts end up where.

Of course sometimes I do it in reverse. Sometimes I just have a robot with character. But then I have to work hard to create an alt form.

I suppose it's harder for me as I really don't know cars, so I largely make up vehicles. If you're using existing cars you already know what your vehicle is. The same issue of not having the vehicle applies to Cybetronian forms as well.

6. tony77tony77

tony77tony77 Well-Known Member

its the alt modes that comes first!

7. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I'd say the alt. modes come first, especially in lines like BT/Alternators, where you want the alt. mode to be realistic.

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    flamepanther already posted the answer.

9. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I doubt its so black and white.

Especially when it comes to legacy characters, there's certain traits you want to preserve in either mode. So I'm sure basic character concepts are envisioned first. Bot mode, alt mode, general features, whatever.

When it comes down as far as actual engineering, though, yeah. Alt-mode first makes sense. They generally want the 'bot mode to fit into that framework, so it's hard to finalize the robot until they know what they're working with.

With indescript Cybertronian alt-modes, though, it can probably go either way.

10. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    When working with a well known bot, like, say, Soundwave, they probably look at alt. modes that would work well enough so that they could do a recognizable robot mode.