When changing a character is a good thing...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SaberPrime, Jan 29, 2012.

1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

I was wandering what are some of your favorite characters who are nothing like the character they're based on but you think are more interesting than the original version. Some examples of this are...

BW/M Silverbolt not being a flying robot who's afraid of heights.

BW Dinobot/R.I.D. Grimlock not being idiots who refers to themselves in the 3rd person.

BM Thrust not being a jet or sharing a mold with 5 other named characters and countless generic Transformers.

R.I.D./Cybertron Scourge not leading an army of drones who look exactly like him.

R.I.D./Animated Ultra Magnus not really have any respect for Optimus Prime and having his own mold.

Armada Wheeljack/Energon Downshift/Prime Wheeljack not being failed inventors.

Energon/Animated Rodimus being the leader of his own little group of Autobots instead of just being an Optimus Prime replacement.

Animated Prowl not being a police car.

Animated Jetstorm and Jetfire being twins even though they previously had nothing to do with each other.

Animated Jazz for knowing a form of martial arts.

Animated Blitzwing for having multiple personalities.

Animated Shockwave/Longarm not being two entirely different characters.

Animated/Prime Bulkhead not being a crazy old man.

RotF/DotM Sideswipe being a total bad ass.

RotF/DotM Wheelie not rhyming every single line of dialog.

DotM Sentinel Prime not being dead or Captain America and the Tick's secret love child.

Prime Arcee not being pink and actually having character development.

I think that about covers it for me so yeah, basically when is changing a character a good thing?

2. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Prime Arcee not being pink is by far the best change.

3. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    Armada Cyclonus

4. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    He is cool but i dunno I just like the G1 stoic warrior badass loyal servant to the insane leader.

How about the G1 Charecter with the Armada Vehicle?

5. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Prime Arcee. She took a character who was pretty much just a joke at that point to become one of the best TF characters in recent years.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    ROTF Jetfire actually having a personality of some kind.

7. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    Ehh I don't know. I grew up with Armada Cyclonus and I've always liked that version more than G1. He was a more fun and likable version to me.

I'd like a Cyclonus like him but even more insane and voiced by Mark Hamill. He could have a G1 based appearance, though.

8. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've got a few changes I'm happy with.

Prime Arcee is just fantastic in every way.

I like Ironhide as a pickup truck.

I like Optimus as a long nose semi.

I LOVE Prime Ratchet.

I love the mythology being developed, though I would prefer it to be a mostly fictional account as opposed to factual which is what they are likely doing.

I like Soundwave and Megatron not being objects. Megs I love as a tank and Soundwave I love as an SUV-ish (WFC for example).

9. gregles

gregles quintesson

I really like how they completely changed unicron for transformers prime when I heard he was going to make an appearance I wasn't really looking forward to it as his traditional form has been done to death and most continuity's tend to end or struggle to follow up his story line after he has been and gone, but it seems like transformers prime is only just getting started.

idw whirl is one of the most insane re-imaginings I have ever seen who would have thought that character with a dodgy toy would indirectly start the war by beating on megs, would take up sadistic torture and for an encore would also take up the galvertron hobbie of beating up cyclonus

idw doubledealer was cool too

10. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I find it interesting when James Roberts added a new side to Optimus Prime in Chaos Theory. I liked it when Rodimus overheard his conversation with Megatron and when Hot Rod told him, he shouted, "get out all of you!" while banging the table. Roberts must not have like the idea that everything Prime says has to sound noble. So, he did something about it, and established that Optimus can get angry just like any other human being.

Then there was that time he found Whirl's friends after they killed Optimus' friends. Whirl said he didn't ask them to rescue him, and Optimus responded, "liar, you're all liars". Clearly, this is not the voice Peter Cullen now uses for Prime. This Optimus Prime is a much younger bot than the Optimus Prime in the movies.

11. Hellbat

Hellbat ヘルバット

I second this and I think everyone can agree with this.

12. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

The Cyclonus one I never thought of, mostly because I don't like either one of them.

I do like the Armada Cyclonus Toy, mostly because there are 4 different Mini-cons that can alternatively be attached to the front of his helicopter mode. He's really the only one that had a Mini-con pack that was obviously made for him.

I like the vehicle mode more on the original but I'm not a fan of the rabbit ears he has in robot mode.

BTW I just added one I forgot to my original list...

Wheelie, the original possibly being the most annoying character in the history of Transformers and the live action version being nothing at all like him.

13. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Prime and IDW Arcee

Movie Bumblebee

Animated and Roche Prowl

IDW Hardhead

IDW Thundercracker. I know his previous bios had him with doubts about the Con cause but IDW actually used it and to great effect.

Sunstreaker as a Headmaster.

Swerve being funny.