When a new toy is broken what do you do?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by novabeam10, Aug 20, 2009.

1. novabeam10

novabeam10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hi,
    After recently buying ROTF mixmaster and found it missing both of the "claws" you can see from underneath the cab I emailed hasbro's customer service about it. Later the same day I was talking to a friend who works at the local Toys R Us and mentioned my problem. He said I probably did the better thing than what most parents do. He has seen so many ROTF toys returned mainly due to ball joint popping which parents think means the toy is broken or the transformation could not be done by the kid. He has only seen 2 actual damaged TF's in everything but the saddest part is the other when processed have to be destroyed filling our landfills with stuff that does not have to be there
    I just wondered if you return broken toys or do you call up Hasbro? This is my second time calling them (first one was for a broken joint on energon stormjet which resulted in me getting a voyager cybertron vector prime!)

2. flamingunicron

flamingunicron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just return them and a get a new one.

Calling hasbro is simply a waste of time and you never know what your gonna get back

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Last issue I had was one missing rotor blade on Animated Megatron. Swapped it at the store.

4. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I've personally haven't done either, but from what I have heard calling Hasbro's customer service only gets you a few months waiting and then a completely different figure. In fact, I'm sure the guy who always shares his story about his 2 different figures he recieved will post in this thread haha. If it were me though, I would return it to the store if it is indeed broken and couldn't be fixed by myself. It's sorry that Hasbro doesn't have the best customer service.

5. Simsplayer9

Simsplayer9 Wowza!

Last night, I got Animated Ultra Magnus and his mouth wouldn't shut so I just exchanged it with another better one.

6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Exchange or refund from where you bought it. Contacting Hasbro is a waste of time. Maybe someone should pull them up on their crappy customer service in the next Q&A.

7. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Calling hasbro for you missing parts will probably leave you with out a mixmaster all together. They are not gonna send you the piece you are missing. They are only going to replace it with an equivalent item.

If a toy is genuinely broken I return it to the store.

If your friend works in a store and he lettings letting perfectly good toys get thrown away thats on him. Why doesnt he repackage it and put it back on the shelf? It's not the consumers fault if retailers are just chucking stuff in landfills

8. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if all stores follow this rule, but here's how I always thought this worked:

If a toy gets returned, Hasbro has to reimburse the store for selling a defective item. It does not matter if this item is defective or not. A store might choose to repackage an item, but it's no surprise that repackaged items are notoriously difficult to sell.

Standard protocol is to destroy the returned items.

9. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    it varies from store to store and vendor to vendor

A company does not necessarily reimburse retailers for returns. Some companies give full credit for items no questions asked. Some companies give full credit but they want the product back. Some give partial credit and some give no credit at all. Other companies give a discount off the original purchase price to cover losses from returns. When a store does not have the option to return they have the ability to use a salvage company instead and cover some of their losses

But all of that only comes in to play when the item is marked as defective at the return counter. Its up to the returns people to notice if the item is truly defective or not. If its not broken they can repackage it possibly with a discount depending on the condition.

10. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    The sad thing is some people will return a perfectly fine figure, usually because they didn't like it once they got their hands on it, and tell the store it's broken or missing a piece to better ensure a refund. All they need to do is pop off a balljoint or something and most staff probably wouldn't question it.

11. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    When we were at AA, ninety bought a MISB Energon Treadbolt.

It was slightly broken.

So we ran over it with a truck.

[​IMG]

That didn't break it enough, so BigPete fixed that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we ran it over again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then ground his face up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The minicon was fine though.

12. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I bought a movie voyager Megatron and his leg was already broke. When I transformed it the 1st time it just fell off. The screw that held it on was stripped. You bet I returned that and got another. I see NOTHING wrong with that at all.

13. panzerjedi

panzerjedi Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I return or exchange it at the store. Getting it repaired by Hasbro doesn't mean it won't still end up in a landfill somewhere.

14. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    I'm sure some of you saw my thread on how my Ice Cream Twins (Mudflap's) head was missing. I exchanged it for a beat up box, but it was complete.

15. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I fix it myself.

I haven't bought a figure yet that was so broken I couldn't fix it, and it beats the hell out of returning it or waiting for Hasbro to do something about it.

16. KingGrimlock

KingGrimlock Assuming Direct Control

Really, wow what a waste of money.

17. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

It depends on circumstances.

I've only had two TFs damaged out of the box - Alt Dead End had two right hands, and a cracked arm, so he got returned.

When I got SWTF Death Star, one half of the clear dish surround for the weapon had broken off the leg, but I'd spent so long getting past all the twisty ties, I decided I'd forgo the chance to do it all again (thrilling as that would have been) and glued the piece back in place.

18. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    Word of advice: NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER send your defective figure to hasbro.....they WILL rip you off......i lost my universe inferno and animated wreck-gar that way.....

19. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i'd return for a new one just like any other thing i'd bought that was defective.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  20. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    If it is indeed quality issue that can't be discovered prior to opening packages, i wouldn't hesitate to go back to store for exchange. That's completely between me and the store.
    With that said I haven't had issues significant enough that made me do exchanges. All I experienced were basically loose joints, pieces popping off (unexpected), springs too loose that missles fire on themselves, etc. Typical, I think.