When a blind person dreams, what do they see?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ErbFan28, May 17, 2012.

1. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just started thinking about this. What do you dream about if you're blind? If you've been blind your entire life, do you see anything?

2. Arbitron

Arbitron Banned

Unfortunately, no. They do not have dreams like we do. I think they see shapes, and pretty much nothing else.

3. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

From what I know, it depends on the kind of blind, if a person was born with vision, then became blind, they can have normal dreams with the images stored on their heads.

Now, if the person was born blind, their dreams involves tastes and auditory illusions, this what I read once, at least.

4. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

This.

It's kinda hard for a person born blind to see anything when they don't know what the word looks like.

A person who could see and later became blind could have dreams just like a normal person. In their dreams it's like they can still see.

It's kinda like asking do deaf people know what music sounds like if they've never heard it. Sure they can feel the vibrations but that's not the same as actually hearing sound. Only a person who had heard music and then became deaf would really know what it sounds like without being able to hear it.

Or like me being color blind. I know the sky is blue and grass is green because that's what I've been told. I can't actually see that the sky is blue or that the grass is green. I don't really know what it is that I see. Maybe to me the grass is yellow and the sky is pink. I wouldn't see different sky and grass in my dreams that are the right color because I don't know what the right color is meant to look like. Awake or asleep, it doesn't matter, I can't see something if I don't know what it looks like.

5. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

6. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

7. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I'm gonna spend the whole day thinking about this, you bastard :p 

8. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

Static.

9. SaberPrime

I've actually gone temporarily blind before. I'm not sure why, it happened twice and both times I was looking at a black and white image before my vision cut out completely. But while I was blinded I literally only saw static, like on an old television that isn't getting reception.

Oh and the temporary blindness only lasted for about 10 min. each time. I was actually happy to go blind one time because it was during P.E. and I had to have a friend walk me to the principal's office. They didn't believe me at first, I guess because they had never heard of anyone just randomly going blind like that before. I don't know what they did to determine that I was really blind sense I couldn't see anything at the time.

Apparently I was crying at the same time as well which was odd sense I wasn't hurt or sad and wasn't even aware of it. Maybe I was just scared that I was going to be stuck that way or maybe it was a side effect of whatever effected my vision. I don't know.

Anyway, that hasn't happened sense elementary school.

10. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives TFW2005 Supporter

Never underestimate the power of the human mind and it's imagination. An interesting question indeed, one I highly doubt has a simple answer.

11. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

There is always the idea of some kind of genetic memory or maybe even imaginary abstracts the brain makes.

12. SaberPrime

Memories are acquired threw experience, not genetics. If you could get memories threw genetics that'd be the creepiest thing ever. That would mean that you would have your parent's memories of conceiving you. And if you have older siblings you'd also have your parents memories conceiving all of them. There is obviously no genetic code that carries your memories to your off spring sense this does not happen.

Also it would make schools useless sense the knowledge of all your ancestors would just be inherited. No need to learn what you already know.