Wheeljack KO or NOT?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by tony77tony77, Jan 6, 2011.

1. tony77tony77

tony77tony77 Well-Known Member

can someone please tell me if my 2 wheeljack are KO or not? Why are the letters marking are diff. on the bottom?

2. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

I can only answer half of your questions, unfortunately. :( 

The markings are different because of the different points in time that your Wheeljacks were released. The circle stamp with the Takara logo in the center was present on the first wave of North American releases for several of the Autobots, which are more or less identical to the original Diaclone versions of the toy. That means that the Wheeljack on the right was from the original batch to hit store shelves over a quarter century ago. Later waves had the modified Hasbro/Takara stamp seen on the left in additional to several other design modifications. Given that the circle stamp releases were pre-rubsign and the spoilers on yours have one, my guess would be that those spoilers did not originally come with that particular Wheeljack.

In addition, the Wheeljack on the right is a variant of the toy. Notice how it has a faint blue tinge to its cockpit canopy compared to the one on the left which is completely clear and that it affects the look of the white paint spray-painted on top of it. Notice also how the green and red areas on the factory labels on the hood and roof are lighter than on the one on the left, which is another common feature of this variant. It's allegedly a rare (or at least less frequently-seen) one, but I have no idea how sparse it is considering that its existence is largely undocumented. Since it is a known G1 variant, though, I can tell you with 100% certainty that the one on the right is a genuine vintage Transformer. No idea about the other one, however.

All that being said, I have no idea what stamping the KO Wheeljacks have and would be interested in the answer to that question as well.

3. tony77tony77

thanks for your help!! I added the rub sign on the spoiler. heres another one that I know for sure its real. The logo on this one is also differnet.

4. jasonmako

jasonmako Voyager

News Credits:
    Where did you acquired them from?

5. tony77tony77

Got all of them from a garage sale last week. Paid $10 for all 3. Two of them is 100% complete!!

6. igniz1984

igniz1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :thumbs2:  thats a hella of a deal!! I wish I could find stuff like that around my garage sales

7. mykticon

mykticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    At $3 and change each I wouldn't care if they are KO's LOL. You want to sell one of the complete one's? I'm definately interested... drop me a PM

8. Lunar Archivist

Dammit, I wish I had that kind of luck. None of the local garage sales that I hit have any Transformers. :( 

Oh, and I finally found the website that I was looking for to help you with your problem. Here's a list of several known Transformers stamping variants:

Mark of the Takara-crazysteve's stampings collection

Wheeljack apparently has four: 2 different ones for the original 1984 releases, another for the Milton Bradley version, and yet another for the 1990s Euro Classics rerelease. You would appear to have every variant except for the last one. :) 

Of course, this still doesn't answer the question of which stamping the KO Wheeljack has. Does anyone out there who's reading this own one so we can find out?

9. tony77tony77

thanks!!! good stuff there!! The KO Wheeljack has the "Milton Bradley Wheeljack" stamping.

YouTube - Wheeljack G1 1985 vs KO: ComparaciĆ³n

10. Lunar Archivist

Cool, thanks for the info. :) 

On a side note, do tell me if you ever get more Wheeljack accessories cheap, especially the spoilers. I'd love to pad out my collection a bit. :D 

11. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I have an original and a KO, and the KO has spoilers that do not touch in the middle in car mode. Much like the picture on the right. If that one turns out to be legitimate, then that may mean my KO is closer to the real deal than I thought. :lol