Wheeljack = Drift?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Splintershot, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Splintershot

Splintershot Predacon?? ... Awesome

In yesterday's Prime episode, we all got to see Wheeljack in his... well, primes!
    But as I watched "Jackie"'s fight style and characteristics he reminded me SOO much of DRIFT! (which probably eliminates any chance of him being on the show :(  ). Now this may be because I'm the biggest Drift fan EVER or I really am on to something. What does everyone else think?

2. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Very much like Drift, but some reason, on Wheeljack, it's much cooler :D 

3. Splintershot

Splintershot Predacon?? ... Awesome

What?! I like Wheeljack (a lot), but he is nowhere near as cool as Drift! Though I must admit, like the way his battle mouthpiece shifts into his iconic faceplate!

4. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not really. Drift isn't much of a smart talker, unless his "hello" in AHM counts. Hell he's more prone to dramatic pearls of wisdom. And he didn't invent sword fighting or even dual sword fighting among transformers. Wheeljack is a fairly direct translation of the "badass hero" archetype. Drift on the other hand is a translation of an extremely common anime archetype. In fact, you could say they both represent the differences in how America and Japan write characters meant to be "the best of the best". Each country uses the same base time and time again, but the bases are quite distinct.

5. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    I think he's meant to sell toys, especially since the Wheeljack RTS figure is coming out soon and since Prime doesn't have a line in stores yet it makes sense.

Either way this character is only like 20% Wheeljack to me and that's only because of his spot on look and colors. He is like Drift in that he seems to just be out there to gin up the kiddies into liking the guy with the cool swords

6. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This guy was Drift in everything but name.

7. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Now I think about it he was very similar to Drift all except using Wheeljack's design. I don't mind though. To be quite honest it was good to see a character called Wheeljack in the fiction again (curse you armada Wheeljack, you should have been sideswipe, and sideswipe Nightbeat then Energon Downshift could have been who he was obviously supposed to be)

8. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Eh. I still say any kind of analysis shows they're not very similar. Breaking down Drift's personality, not including his back story gives you a very typical "I'm a bad guy turned good guy with cool skills" anime character. Breaking down Wheeljack gives you "I'm the badass with a smart mouth".

I'm genuinely curious as to how people see them as being the same. Apart from the swords, which I'm sorry, means that Grimlock and Headstrong are like Drift.

9. fabexmax

fabexmax Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^QFT

10. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Well for one, you're still an extreme minority: Drift hatedom is no where near as prevalent as it was three years ago but he still most certainly is not a fan favorite the way Wheeljack is. Besides, just because a bot is a dual sword wielder, that doesn't make them similar to Drift: like others have noted, their personalities seem to be quite different.

11. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

He reminds me more of Armada Wheeljack.

12. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    When WJ pulled out his two swords I thought that they crossed this character with Drift. So much for the mad scientist personality.

13. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Maybe Prime Drift will be like G1 Wheeljack

14. -X-

-X- Member

Honestly, I feel Wheeljack can still be a "mad scientist" or if not, perhaps some manner of combat engineer. This episode had the real Wheeljack locked up for the majority of the episode and when he wasn't, he had to take on an armada of Decepticons head on. If he does return, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they had him improvise weapons from scraps to help even the odds in some sort of epic battle! TF:p rime seems to have alot of callbacks, so I certainly think this wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.

15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    well except for being a Decepticon.

16. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I saw the similarities myself, but it was mostly aesthetic. This Wheeljack feels like his own character though, not much like Dirft or G1 Wheeljack.

17. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I would laugh my ass off, if they did that.

18. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He was nothing like Drift. Drift is the generic I MUST DO WHAT'S RIGHT samurai.

Wheeljack is a war commando jock that knows karate.

Plus being a mad scientist would be lame considering we already got Ratchet doing that.

19. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

Even if he wasn't exactly like the comicbook Drift, he felt like he could have easily been a cartoon interpretation of Drift. More so then a interpretation of wheeljack.

Also, I don't think you use swords in karate.

20. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not G1, doesn't have to be like G1 Wheeljack. Plus Wheeljack's design is much better than Drift's.

Wheeljack didn't just use swords, he had some insane moves that didn't involve sword fighting. While Drift is all swords.