Wheeljack Characterization

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by LCDR Blindside, Apr 15, 2012.

?

Is Wheeljack significantly similar to Drift?

1. Yes, but I like it.

15.9%
  2. Yes, and I dislike it.

31.8%
  3. A little, but not enough to note.

40.9%
  4. Nope.

11.4%
  1. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    I've heard a lot of love and hate about my favorite Wrecker, and at the risk of this sounding like another dippy thread, I'd like to hear the general opinion on Wheeljack's character. I mostly want to hear the opinions on his suspected Driftiness; is his loner, sword wielding nature a play on Drift, or is it possible for characters to exist with similar characteristics?

Note that this is not an opinion thread, it is intended for his character, rather than his interaction with others (unless it factors in.)

2. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmm well Drift doesn't seem like a loner in the new ongoing. He seems more spiritual than loner ish now.

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Drift and TFP Wheeljack are both boring characters (to me). That is already too much similarity for my tastes.

4. SGTsoundwave

SGTsoundwave Steam Powered Automaton

on a side note to the whole comparison to drift, I have to say that half the time I was thinking that wheeljack was a doucher, and the other half I thought he was a nice bot, and a good team member. the episode just left me with completely mixed feelings about him.

5. Ellamin

Ellamin Heroes protect Freedom! not safety! BAKA!!

News Credits:
    Yes, he's turned to non-japanese Drift mostly, but I like to think he's the "nerd-of-action" where he CAN be an engineer, but, prefers the simpler way of Lobbing with his buddies at macaddam's

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I like my Wheeljack being a wacky inventor who builds things that go kaboom.

7. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I actually don't mind the way Wheeljack's characterized. Sure he's different but then again this is still a more closer reference to his G1 self then the Armada version at least.

The writer also said about him showing some mechanical skills later on so hopefully that'll make it up.

8. SlagSwoopSnarl

SlagSwoopSnarl BUT PRAHM.

Well, Wheeljack seems to have some connection to his ship, the Jackhammer. I'm pretty sure he maintains it, and seems to have customized it.

After all, when Dreadwing planted a bomb that was meant to blow up both Seaspray's and Wheeljack's ships, the Jackhammer survived because it was apparently customized to be sturdier than a "Standard Hammer", which Seaspray was piloting.

9. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    There is a significant difference between experiencing an explosion on your ship and being in proximity to one.

10. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A little, but not enough to note

11. WreckageGhost

WreckageGhost Well-Known Member

He's similar to drift in the way that they both have swords. Thats all the drift I see in him.

Is he G1 wheeljack? No, he sure ain't drift.

12. herugrim

herugrim Defiler of Energon

Ebay:
    He's a straight up Drift clone, which doesn't make any sense. If they wanted Drift, they should've used Drift. Also goes to show how far bias can go. People hated Drift because of the guy that invented him. People love wheeljack, even though they made him a clone of a character they hate. I guess if they ever wanted to make people like Energon Optimus Prime, all they have to do is repaint him as Bulkhead.

13. DreadwindsGhost

DreadwindsGhost Micro Mad

This, basically.

14. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say him being like Drift is a problem, it's the fact that he isn't very Wheeljack-ish. He pimped out the Jackhammer apparently and almost but not really diffused a bomb and that's it. One can hope he eventually builds a shoulder cannon for himself. That explodes.

15. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

I'd be a little less upset if they'd taken a character from G1 who was a little MORE generic,,, (Windcharger, Sideswipe, Bluestreak, Outback, just off the TOP of my head)

I've always liked my Wheeljack as the slightly clumsy, mad scientist of the crew. I only recently found out his original voice was Chris Latta. So if I was going to do a modern version of Wheeljack, I'd kinda base him on the Mythbusters. Jamie's voice, but Adam's personality.

16. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Well-Known Member

I agree. That is the quirky character I love. But, saying because they have swords, they are the same is harsh.

17. WreckageGhost

WreckageGhost Well-Known Member

Ok quick question. Where did this whole prime wheeljack is drift thing come from?

I don't remember drift EVER acting like prime wheeljack or wheeljack acting like drift.

18. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He's white, has 2 swords, tough guy. I don't see the connection besides that. Their personalities are quite different.

19. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

He's white and has swords. That's his only relation to Drift.

20. SlagSwoopSnarl

SlagSwoopSnarl BUT PRAHM.

True, but the explosion was meant to take out both ships, right? And I still think that doesn't work against the fact that the Jackhammer has been customized to some degree (paintjob!).