Wheeljack as a 1998 Toyota Corolla WRC?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Mad Dawg, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Mad Dawg

Mad Dawg Autobot Brewmeister

Apologies if this is something someone else has brought up before, but have a go at this...

[​IMG]

Wheeljack? I mean a Toyota Corolla is NOT a Lancia Stratos no matter how much modifying you do, but isn't that color scheme a bit uncanny? And they are, both of them, rally cars... Clearly, BinalTech/Alternators could have been done better.

2. butz

butz slippery when wet

Its super Wildrider! Err... maybe not.

3. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

Interesting...

4. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Looks cool, classic castrol colors.

5. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Not to mention the fact that Wheeljack wasn't a rally car.

6. Psychrome86

Psychrome86 Well-Known Member

i'd still take it on dirt...

7. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

You'd rip the front diffuser off. Go for the rally car version of the Stratos, instead.

8. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Wheeljack's modern sucessor in style and colour would be the Tommy's Castrol Toyota Supra, frequent star of the Gran Turismo games.

9. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Looks like a precursor to the Toyota Matrix... Which totally should have been Alt. Skids's car mode... not that abysmal Scion xB! I remember when my dad got a Matrix, thinking to myself, "Yanno, I bet they could make an Alt. Skids out of that, EASY." Then they went and used the xB. Wow, did I feel shot down.

10. Mad Dawg

No?

The Stratos was a very successful rally racing car during the 1970s and 1980s. It started a new era in rally racing as it was the first car designed from scratch for this kind of competition.

And this certainly looks a lot like Wheeljack...

1974 Lancia Stratos HF Group 4

Even the experts at Top Gear, who voted the Stratos one of the 100 sexiest cars of all time, seem to agree...

designed from the ground up simply to win races, the Stratos will forever be remembered hammering through forest stages in Alitalia stripes

Not to mention that Wheeljack is rarely if ever seen driving on a paved road in the original G1 series. Of course very few times in G1 do I remember seeing any Autobot driving on a paved road. Front-end diffuser be damned! Wheeljack is a rally car! I believe G1 Sunstreaker is a Lamborghini Countache, even though Countaches did not have all that rear engine and exhaust kibble.

Of course no one is required to agree with me.

11. Mad Dawg

Googled and found this. Obviously not designed for the same kind of racing as the Lancia Stratos, but a very cool match for a modern Wheeljack none the less.

12. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

We also saw Mirage driving off road on a regular basis. I doubt many real Formula 1 cars from that era do that very well.

Wheeljack was a Lancia Stratos Turbo. Very much a road only racer.

I'm very well aware that the Stratos was originally designed with rally racing in mind. That doesn't mean that every version of the car was a rally car.

13. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    You sir, are correct. The particular Lancia Stratos Wheeljack was based upon was not a rally car, its a common misconception with Transformers fans who don't seem to notice how low Wheeljack's body is to the ground, or how he doesn't actually look much like the original rally version.

Additionally Sunstreaker's exact vehicle mode (even discounting his rear engine stuff) is abit murky. He is most likely based upon Takara's own Cosmo Contach toy from the their Microman Command line.

http://www.spencer1984.com/serendipity/index.php?/archives/49-Sunstreaker-The-Missing-Link.html

Additionally, Top Gear is more of a cheap stunts and comedy car programme than a serious car show. And their oft-made comments making fun of environmentalism and/or fuel economy annoy me. Hardly 'experts'.