whats your opinion on mass/size shifting?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Bass X0, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    because either way you would have to suspend your disbelief.

if it exists then you have to imagine a giant jetplane shrinking many many times to be about the same height in robot mode to a transformer that becomes a car.

and if it doesn't exist then you have to imagine a giant jetplane transforming into a robot and having a fair fight or even being overcome by a transformer who can become a car.

and if strength is related to size then the 1984 autobots would be vastly outnumbered by the 1984 decepticons just because the decepticons have three jets on their team.

2. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    Personally, i like the idea of the alt mode bearing some relation to the size of the robot. But, from a toy point of view, relative scale between the height of the 'bots is more desirable - and certain characters always seem to be bigger than others, regardless of their alt modes, so I guess you have to work back from there.

But i think the key thing is the suspension of disbelief. I like the lack of mass-shifting in the recent Movie - shame the toyline didn't (and couldn't, from a company-making-money POV) reflect it. But I also liked Soundwave turning into a tape player etc back in the old cartoon. Mass shifting is one of the many areas of TF that thinking too deeply about it sort of buggers it all up :) 

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I got absolutely nothing against it.

4. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Bothers me not.

5. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    No complaints about it from me.

6. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

they're aliens, they can do whatever they want :p 

7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Never really bothered me because I always saw them as sort of having super powers like X-Men, Justice League, or other super heroes only they were robots with these powers instead of mutants or meta humans.

So if Ant Man could change his size, Nightcrawler could teleport, or Superman could fly then why couldn't robots do the same things?

As to the size thing it used to be that smaller robots were faster or had some other edge to make up for their smaller size so a small bot like Ravage could still be trouble or the Autobots would stand a chance against the lumbering Devastor because you see in both animals and machines the bigger you get the more it effects how nimble and quick you can be. Sort of like how a small sports car has the advantage of they could take twisty Italian streets quickly but a huge dump truck could not. Movie sort of threw the size thing out the window now that even huge heavy bots can do fly by wire kung fu.

8. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like its presence in G1, considering Megs does turn into a gun and Soundwave is a tape deck, but I'm happy abouts its absence in the Movie and Animated continuities where the Decepticons are realistically bigger than the Autobots.

9. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Never seen a problem, or why people are prepared to accept artificial intelligence, space travel, teleportation, subspace (admittedly that's still more fanon than canon), and the Insecticons' clones but draw the line at mass-shifting. If you accept teleportation and subspace, I don't see why mass shifting is a problem.

10. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    No real problem with it. It worked pretty well in the IDW comics.

11. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

If you can accept that a Porsche can transform into a fully functional alien robot with a soul who speaks English and comes from another planet, then why is mass-shifting such a hard concept?

12. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    No biggie to me. I accepted it outright when I first watched the cartoon. It was a cartoon, after all.

Are we forgetting something? Like the AllSpark, maybe?

I laughed out loud in the theater when that happened, and then felt embarrassed for it. Because only a total TF nerd would find it amusing that Bay and the writers had stated repeatedly and emphatically "NO MASS SHIFTING" and then totally ignore it and make it a pivotal plot point instead.

13. omegagoalie

omegagoalie Cybertronian Puckstopper

Ebay:
    I'm pretty sure the "no-mass shifting" was for the Transformers themselves only. No one knows where the All-Spark came from so It can do whatever It wants. It didn't phase me at all when it shrank. But in real world applications Soundwave transforming into a tiny tape deck would be lame.

14. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I personally prefer no mass shifting. I do have one exception though, the Allspark. It's so powerfully it doesn't need any explanation for why it can go from being huge to very small in the matter of seconds.

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    It depends.

If it's all cartoony like Animated, sure. I think it's funny. I especially like how Bumblebee, the smallest bot, is bigger than prowl in vehicle mode, yet shorter in robot mode.

If it's realistic like the movie designs, I would hope for little. As long as it's not glaringly obvious, I can deal with it. Or if it's intentional for the sake or the specific scene.

16. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Exactly, that and millions of years of advanced technolgy over what Humans have.

17. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    im cool wit it

18. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

I dont mind it, but i do like my bots robot modes to be proportional to their alt mode.
    some bots need to mass shift for them to fit in like sound wave and company or
    g1 megs.

19. Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom Doom is best pony Veteran

If its done well (like IDW's take) then Im all in for it

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  20. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I guess I'll be the first non-belief-suspending, no-fun, takes-toy-robots-too-seriously wet blanket, and say I don't care for it. :)  I think it came about in G1 because of lazy storytelling, but sticks around because it has G1 street cred.

I won't go into specific reasons why I think it's silly because a) most fans have probably already mulled all this stuff over at some point and b) because then I really WOULD be taking it too seriously.

And it's not like I want it retconned out of G1, or Classics, or IDW, or anything.... it's already in there, whatever. But I'd like to see future Transformers stories veer away from it (which it seems they are doing anyway... I love that Starscream is, like, five times larger than Bumblebee in Animated).

My distaste for it isn't even entirely about its scientific improbability... I genuinely think you could have more interesting and creative stories without it.

My two cents... not wanting to start an argument, just expressing an opinion. :) 

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.