What's your opinion on Homeschooling?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MushroomPrime, Jul 30, 2009.

1. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    I think it sort of deprives you of social interaction with peers. I also know some people that are homeschooled, and most of them are dicks.

2. red4

red4 Banned

My home once talked smack to me, I then schooled it. Homeschooled.

3. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Yeah, I pretty much agree. Plus, the education can be censored by the parents, they can choose what not to teach, churning out a dumbass in the end.

4. red4

red4 Banned

I know that I've met at least 1 person who was home schooled, but I can't remember who, nor what kind of impression I got.

5. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I think they are parents who are either crazy or pants-on-head retarded. Often the kids themselves tend to be pretty big jerks and/or stupid. Notice how this does not apply to all, as Ive met some homeschooled people who claimed to be in a not-so-great school district, and they were fairly normal.

6. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I have had the experience of being home schooled and being in a public school. My parents took me out of public school after fifth grade. Long story short, I was able to learn much more effectively outside of school, but I agree some needed social skills had to be learned in college instead of in high school like everyone else. On the other hand, I also got to skip out on a lot of the unnecessary high school drama and misery that my friends had to go through, so maybe it evens out. As for being jerks... most of the home schooled people I know are easily the nicest and most amicable friends I have. I think it depends a lot the person, as well as the attitudes of the parents who taught them. I'm sure you know a lot of ass hats who went through public school, but you don't blame the schools for that, do you?

HINT: The non-dickwad home-schooled people you know probably don't go around bragging that they were taught at home. I think that's where a lot of the perception comes from.

7. Tyrant

Tyrant Zombie

As with anything else, kids home schooled vs kids public/private schooled are a mixed bag. It's not any more fair to assume kids coming out of a home schooling situation will be ignorant, social outcasts than it is to assume anyone coming out of the public school system will belong to a gang and have low test scores.

I've known both awesome and lousy people from both sides of the education coin. It all depends on both the kids and the parents exclusively and it's really not fair to judge.

8. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My cousin's wife homeschool their four kids. She used to be a school teacher. When she was pregnant with their first child, she quit teaching in public schools.

Now why? I don't know. I never have ask.

9. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

Schools base the question of who goes where based entirely on location, rather than the individual ability and needs of the student. A brilliant student can be held back by the failings of their own school, or a student weak in one area can't get the focus they need on weaker areas without being branded as remedial and put in special education classes. Both happened to me. First the latter, then the former when they realized their mistake. In the end, I graduated from public school, though I was more self-taught in a number of areas where the school its self failed to teach the necessary material.

Ironically I'll eventually be going into teaching, though as an art teacher, where I see a serious lack of focus. Clearly not in the same district. I intend to move upon finishing my degree.

Homeschooling is an option for parents who see the school district failing to properly educate their child, and can't afford a private school. Though social interaction shouldn't be entirely neglected either. Younger children can be taken to a park or public playground, and teens should be encouraged to go out more.

10. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Home-schooling is like putting the inevidable social disaster on hold until college. Where the kid over compensates for his lack of social interaction and dies from a coke overdose while getting gang-banged by frat-boys during Rush Week.

11. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    So true!

12. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Homeschooling makes you socially inept and pretty much turns you into a cash cow for a psychiatrist.

13. Kickback

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Homeschooling causes Assburgers.

14. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

And assburgers makes an ass out of you and burgers.

15. Kickback

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    And no one wants to fuck up burgers.

16. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    My Assburgers taste nice, wanna bite?

17. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

I'm not completely against it but i'm not gonna stick up for it either.

I think it's important for kids to get out and interact with one another.

7 years outta school and I still miss it sometimes.It woulda been perfect if it hadn't been for the shitty teachers and poor educational standards.

18. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

But as long as his parents didn't teach him from Bob Jones University Press textbooks, he stands a good chance of being a better educated corpse under a pile of frat boys :p 

19. newguy

newguy i

My nieghbor is homeschooled. He's also a member on here. He sees normal to me.

20. Faxon

Faxon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Providing the parents can prove they have the required knowledge, then they can homeschool all they want. If they are just ignorant hicks wanting to impose thier worldview on thier kids without interferance from reality, get that kid in a proper school.