What's your opinion of Armada?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Latias Prime, May 1, 2011.

?

Armada: Yay, okay or nay?

Poll closed May 6, 2011.
  1. LOVE IT! EVEN BETTER THEN G1!

5 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. It's pretty good. Not perfect, but still not as bad as people say it is.

48 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. Eh, it's okay.

22 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. English dub= horrible. Japanese original (Micron Legend)= Win!

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  5. Had some good points, but not enough to redeem it.

32 vote(s)
    24.2%
  6. Worst Transformers cartoon ever!

14 vote(s)
    10.6%
  7. Never saw it.

9 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. Latias Prime

Latias Prime I'm only slightly crazy!

Like the title says, what's your views on the Armada cartoon? Do you love it, hate it or think its just meh?

I personally love it. Armada was the first Transformers series I ever watched, and I tuned in whenever I got the chance. Maybe it was the cute Mini-Cons, maybe it was the anime art-style, but in any case I was hooked from the start and became an instant Trans-Fan. And even though I've moved onto better shows like Animated and Prime, Armada still has a place in my heart for being the series that started it all for me.

I think the reason Armada gets such a bad rap is that it takes a little while to get interesting, and it suffered from a really bad localization, not to mention those annoying kids (SHUT UP, FRED!). But given how Energon and Cybertron turned out, I've kinda forgiven Armada's faults.

Of course, that's just me. What about you?

2. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    It lost me at 'hello'.

3. Stryker055

Stryker055 Trying my best here!

Ebay:
    I loved Armada, as I pretty much grew up with it. It's just such a shame to see it so low on everyone's ratings, though with all its flaws, I can't really defend it. Of course, I was one of the few who actually likes Mini-Cons, though the whole gimmick was rather pointless from a story point of view ("What? You mean that giant gun I keep on my back all the time but never use can actually be used as a weapon with my Mini-Con?!")

Really, if more effort would have been put into it and Energon, then it would have been up with the likes of Beast Wars and Animated IMO. As it was, it was rushed with poor dubbing and animation, plots were either dropped or completely ignored, character development was severely hindered, etc.

For instance, Starscream had some really good development towards the end of Armada... that was completely erased in Energon. Demolisher even had an interesting internal conflict going on... only to have been mindwiped into a stupid monkey-thug. If you want to focus solely on Energon, Ironhide and Skorponok's relationship could have been really good, but it was, again, ignored and dubbed over.

If any Transformers series could ever get a redo with new media and toys, it'd have to be Armada.

4. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like it well enough. It was my first Transformers series as well (I don't really count BW or BM, as I only saw a couple of episodes of those as a kid), so there may be some nostalgia involved.

I will say, though, that I think the second half is much better than the first.

5. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was the series that got me into Transformers so I just love it! The last few episodes were immense and Starscream was my favourite character in it.

6. Facemeat

Facemeat Give me your Face(meat)!

It was decent, not fantastic, but certainly not awful. Somehow, it's the only TF series that I watched every single episode of, so that's gotta say something good about it (I can't tell you how many times I've stopped an restarted other series, but for some reason I stuck with Armada). I want to watch Cybertron, but I can't just skip Energon, which is supposedly an abomination, so I just kinda stopped the trilogy there. Maybe I'll try out Energon at some point.

7. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

It was the first Transformers series that I could bear to watch a bit of, so I'd say I like it more than Beast Wars or G1. However, it's still a horrendous show by my standards.

8. Stryker055

Stryker055 Trying my best here!

Ebay:
    Cybertron's a much better show if you watch it as a stand-alone show and not try to make connections with Armada and Energom. You'll enjoy it a lot more, IMO.

9. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Armada was the first series I actually started watching from start to finish. It's pretty much the show that got me onto Transformers. That and RID. So obviously I really like the show.
    I just bought the entire series on Amazon. I wouldn't say its a horrible show, but the story is kinda boring. I haven't finished yet, because its kinda difficult to get any motivation to but I will eventually.

10. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It was a big step backwards from RiD. RiD got me back into Transformers in a very big way - I pretty much bought the entire line, plus a Japanese Brave Maximus because I loved the line so much. You could say it got me into collecting too, because before that, I just had an odd assortment of G1 and G2 left over from growing up. That was the responsibility of the cartoon. It was weirdly 'anime' from what I was expecting, but it was a big pleasure to watch and was very well written. The search for the O-Parts was well executed (compared to the Minicons). Scourge was an amazing villain. The fight for control of Cebebros and Fortress Maximus was the high point of the series. It was just a great show.

Armada... I really wanted to like Armada, but I couldn't after the first episode. The G1 cameos were great, and I really liked the part where Rad and Carlos wake up the minicons. But the animation was so bad, the story telling was so broken... it was plainly unwatchable. It was also that very same episode that had Megatron just sit there looking at Rad and Carlos for 10 minutes. It was thourghly unenjoyable, only made weirder by the character turn Starscream took, and then to cap it off, the amazing (and Brutal) Optimus and Megatron fight at the end. If the show had been that well done, we'd be saying very different things.

The same could be said of Energon and Cybertron as well.

How flat these series fell with me got me out of collecting big-time until they were over. I pretty much limited myself to buying G1 homages (Energon Downshift. Supercon Prime, Armada Blurr, Energon Shockblast, Cybertron Soundwave, Grimlock and Swoop, Wingsaber, Armada Thrust, you get the picture), Starscreams, Primes and Megatrons. But the main characters of the shows outside of G1 homages? No-sir. And I only mention that because it contrasts with how comprehensive I was with RiD.

It took Classics/the Movie to get me back into collecting (I got a lot of the 2007 movie), and with Classics/Universe/RtS/HftD/Generations, I got the entire line again. Animated I loved too.

But Armada was for me, the start of a prolonged period of near-zero interest in Transformers, for the line, I think, its creative nadir. The good news is, I think Hasbro "gets" this, and to protect the viability of their multi-billion dollar Intellectual Property, we'll be seeing more high quality shows like Animated and Prime, and high quality games like War for Cybertron, rather than whatever the Unicron Trilogy junk we got.

11. syclonefs

syclonefs Rogue-Prime

News Credits:
    I liked Armada way better then the other two. I loved the sword and shield cons. very cool indeed.

12. TFcollecterguy

TFcollecterguy Well-Known Member

It had a several annoying things to it, but as it went on it got better and better until it got pretty awesome. Not the best TF show ever but I found it pretty enjoyable.

13. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    agreed.

14. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

He's one of the Insecticons. :tongue: 

15. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Armada's an okay show. Yeah, there's some things that could have been better, but at least it was nowhere near as worse as Energon.

16. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Beast Wars for me is the level a TF series should try to reach. Armada on the other hand, is the level a TF series should avoid. I only saw one episode and it make me sad knowing before we had shows like BW, BM, and RID and yet we ended up with this.

17. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Energon is the level TF shows should avoid.

18. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ok, I haven't watched it in a long time, but I remember it being fairly bad, but not god awful. The characters were ok most of the time, but it was a little too kiddie. Far better than Energon but far worse than Cybertron which was great (watched it a few months ago)

My take:

Beast Wars = TF animated > G1 > Prime = Cybertron > RID > Armada > Beast Machines > Energon

19. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I haven't seen enough of it to really pronounce judgment on the whole series, but what I did see, I found unwatchable.

20. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Really? I couldnt watch Cartoon Network when that was on. If thats the case, I'm glad I couldnt see it.