What's your most favorite version of Optimus?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Mr JackatooTM, Dec 14, 2016.

?

Who's your favorite incarnation of Optimus Prime

1. Generation 1 Optimus

49 vote(s)
    74.2%
  2. Unicron Trilogy Optimus

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. Animated Optimus

14 vote(s)
    21.2%
  1. VictoryBot93

VictoryBot93 Well-Known Member

I didn't grow up with the G1 cartoon, but I did play Transformers: Devastation, which was based on it. And that Optimus Prime just stuck with me so much. I enjoy the IDW & Aligned OP but man, there was just something so pure about that portrayal. It made me want to get into the Transformers franchise in the first place. I love that character & every time I hear his name I think of his performance in Devastation. That, to me, is Optimus Prime.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I was impressed with how well the game captured the spirit of the old show.

• Like Like x 2
  3. FanboyX

FanboyX is a real boy

Ginrai, because Not OP is my favorite OP.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Coil

Coil a.k.a. Solas Prime

IDW Optimus. Especially when Roberts has him.

5. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    G1 prime, hands down.

6. redwolfbear

redwolfbear Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    transformers prime optimus all the way for me

guys every bit as brutal in a fight as bayforemrs optimus when megatron really pushes his buzzurk button down HARD

in "One Shall Fall", Optimus Prime,of all bots, pulls off a shocking Death Glare worthy of the Dark Knight himself.[​IMG] It's both awesome and terrifying all at once. You know the shit just got real folks when a bot like Optimus acts out of character like that. What caused it? Megatron roided up on Dark Energon blasting Bumblebee while he took Raf home from the Autobots' base. What resulted is that Raf nearly died from toxic exposure to Dark Energon and Megatron was stupid enough to flash Prime a Slasher Smile while gloating over the matter. His Roaring Rampage of Revenge against Megatron for nearly killing Raf is full to the brim with hulk rage. His voice is controlled, absolutely calm and his pace methodical as he cuts down any Decepticon between him and Megatron. Although to see him express the intent to murder Megatron and (if Megatron wasn't powered up by Dark Energon beforehand) actually succeed in following through should make it quite clear Optimus was in a state of mind and fit to kill Megatron on sight.

Much like in Generation One, there is an ever-present, dignified sadness in Peter Cullen's performance of Optimus, as if the Great War has affected him so deeply that he's always crying deep inside. Cullen stated in interviews that he drew inspiration from his brother, a Shell-Shocked Veteran of The Vietnam War, who told him before the audition for Optimus "Don't be a tough hero; you are strong enough to be gentle." Transformers Prime Optimus also comes across as being rather like the wise elderly Thundercat Jagga in his way. Also, Prime having failed to prevent Megatron from destroying Cybertron and then sacrificing his life to restore their dead world to life in "Predacons Rising", followed by coming back from the grave as a ghostly mentor to Bumblebee in Robots In Disguise provides further proof to this claim.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like how G1 Optimus is this generally upbeat dude. Like, they're winning the war, making new friends throughout the Galaxy, saving everyone along the way, retaking & rebuilding Cybertron: he's making it all work. Life is good for this dude & all those around him.

It's crazy to think, but it's a very different portrayal of Optimus from almost all other versions, even the G1 Op we see in Headmasters despite ostensibly being the same guy.

Comic versions tend to make him much more flawed, war weary, depressed, & overall guilt ridden.

Japanese Anime versions tend to be more strict, formal, militaristic. You could get wasted in 22 minutes if you took a drink every time someone calls Op "sir" in Energon.

TFP & RID tend to be stoic & extremely reserved to the point of near-emotionless.

Bay-Prime leans on the opposite end of the spectrum, often being driven by emotional outbursts, usually in the form of anger or violent rages against his enemies. But even when dealing with humans in every sequel, he has contempt for anyone that he perceives as giving him a hard time. He's also afflicted by the guilt of having failed to save Cybertron.

G1 Optimus Prime embodies all these traits, rather than highlighting just one. But he also has the good nature & optimism that the character is known for. He's the total package.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  8. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

I like the idea behind Marvel G1 Optimus Prime the best, a hero who seeks to win a war in the most peaceful way possible, with every loss clearly affecting him, and Animated Optimus Prime went through the most development, but I have to say my personal favorite representation of Optimus Prime is TF: Prime.

Outwardly, he's stoic, and maintains a serious, professional attitude as a military commander. However, it's clear that not all that deep down, he genuinely cares about the Autobots under his command, and their human partners. He comforts Bumblebee when he loses his T-Cog, he is understanding towards Arcee's rage and grief, and he even offers to bring Raf a snowball. He has all the legendary heroism that I associate with Optimus Prime, but feels realistic enough that I don't see him as "too perfect". I understand why others might not be so fond of Aligned Optimus Prime, but he's my personal favorite.

That said, I don't think there's any version of Optimus Prime whom I actually dislike. In my opinion, they're all done fairly well most of the time.

• Like Like x 1
  9. redwolfbear

redwolfbear Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    transformers prime optimus certainly has his issues though as rage goes (he be a unstoppable engine of destrcution when he really gets going like a bursurker in a fight )guy could give vegeta a run for his money i b et angst issue wise lol

10. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    source.gif

• Like Like x 1
  11. Macross79

Macross79 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

G1 Optimus all the way!!!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Lacimehc

Lacimehc Tastes like medicine

Animated

I honestly found G1 Optimus to be kinda boring as a character through most of the cartoon. I greatly preferred Rodimus to him.

13. G1Optimal

G1Optimal Autobot

News Credits:
    A tie between G1 , Live Action (CGI) Movie Prime

14. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    That's easy for me, Animated Optimus Prime.

15. Slingshot

Slingshot Headmaster

News Credits:
    G1 Sunbow and IDW.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TFFan01

TFFan01 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Movie and G1.

17. Twin Lambo fan

Twin Lambo fan Also loves Snarl

G1 all the way!

18. omagaprime

omagaprime Well-Known Member

G1 is my favorite, but war within is my second.