What's Your least favorite thing about movie verse Autobots?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Ceasar121, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Just random spitballing....

What's your least favorite thing about the movie autobots?

Mine is the fact that they have so many built in weapons... seeing Bee's arm turn into a cannon, or Optimus swords pop out, while cool, takes away from the whoe, they weren't built for war ideal. It's probably my least favorite thing about their portrayal in the movie... I'd love seeing Optimus look at his lazer rifle, disappointed he has to pick it up again, before heading into battle.

2. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    1# lack of Variation in car brands : needs more Euro cars
    2# lack Variation in altmodes : Autobots need Breakaway, Evac and Captain Boatshoes.

3. Nightwing24

Nightwing24 00 Agent

News Credits:
    well logically rachet prolly installed most of those built in weapon programs, they most likley weren't always like that. but I would like to see prime comment on your idea.

4. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Yeah I thought of that... but a progression would have been nice. Like seeing the Cons armed to the t, and the bots having to get their weapons ready etc, I just miss the ideal that Autobots aren't built to fight, and that the Cons are.

If they showed Ratchet installing the weapons... So much potential for character development.

5. DecepticonsRule

DecepticonsRule Triple-Changer

News Credits:
    1) All GMC Cars- Realistically, the Autobots would have much more varied cars and alternate modes, not cars all of the same company

2) All Autobots have two eyes/optics- Although this does increase their "human-relation" factor, it seems strange that all the Autobots have two blue eyes, whilst the Decepticons have a varying number of eyes in different colours.

6. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

I think the all-GM cars is my biggest problem. I mean, I GET it. GM want's exclusive rights, show off what they have, yada-yada-yada...that doesn't mean I can't still lament the lack of non-GM cars.

7. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    You'd be better off lamenting that other auto-manufacturers didn't want to let the movie use their cars, since that's what happened.

8. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Screen time?

9. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Oh this thread is just asking for the usual complaints, but to try something new.

I'm gonna say lack of diversity between Autobot alternate modes. I want to see some plants, trains, and well, boats too.

10. jazz4ever

jazz4ever I'm turned on by numbers

Lack of varying vehicle modes.

11. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    Given the level of restructuring this brand of Transformers is capable of, built-in weapon presets both makes sense to me and works better than, say, a hand-held weapon not comprised of the body suddenly appearing in their hand. Though I would like to see more hand-held weapons appear from their structuring but not be attached. I know they exist, but to see them form would be tight. Besides, they're robots warring for ages. If you need a built-in weapon to survive, so be it. No thang. To me, anyway.

My least favorite thing, however, has to be the overall designs. Don't get me wrong, Prime's overall struturing works, I totally dig the face to go along with Cullen's aged/less-John Wayne Prime voice, Bumblebee's 'battlemask' is pimpness (wish it was just his face in general), etc. But the majority of designs are just too damn busy in every little inch.

12. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Exactly. Tf also needs more lines for these bots, is it too expensive, is that why Bay never includes the sreen time?

13. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

the fact that in the Live Action Universe is that the Autobots are more bloodthirsty than usual. (unless you count Rodimus Prime in the UK Possible Future). Normally, the Autobots would let the Decepticons surrender or retreat to fight another day. The Autobots in ROTF are less merciful, even Optimus

14. jonatron26

jonatron26 Well-Known Member

mudflap. He said "pussy" and shot skids in the face.

15. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Autobots' apparent inability to gather intelligence on Decepticons very well, at the very least since they arrived on earth (and apparently, before that, given some of the things that have occurred since they arrived), their lack of tactical skills, and their seeming naivete or indifference to the impact of certain events, is my problem with their depiction.

These are hugely advanced technological beings who can apparently learn Earth's languages via internet access, inject viruses into human technology to disable it (well, Decepticons can, so presumably Autobots could too), have body parts that can transform into built-in weapons, and multiple weapons at that so the larger robots are built-in swiss army knives from hell...and yet the Autobots are apparently incapable of anticipating Decepticon plans in the second film, or with using some resources at hand themselves before the Decepticons could.

The Autobots let the humans take the last (they thought) shard of the Allspark to protect, risking its potential theft...instead of destroying it themselves (why protect something if you think it's useless, and if you think it's still a potential weapon/source of power worth protecting, why chance it and not just destroy something Prime was willing to give his life for to destroy in the first film)? Or, better yet, why not try ramming it into Jazz and seeing if that brings him back to life (which prevents Megs from being resurrected, at least with that large shard the military was protecting and putting a greater focus on the shard Sam stumbled upon...you know, the one he never bothered telling the Autobots or military about)?

They let Megs' not-exactly-completely destroyed body get sunk to the bottom of the ocean, instead of completely destroying him? Like the Decepticons would never try to resurrect him if they had the tools to do that...oh wait.

They had no idea who or what The Fallen was...even though a potentially random Decepticon (Demolishor) and an even lesser one (Wheelie, before he switched sides) at least knew his name, let alone what he was.

The fact they let the history of the entire species remain in the Allspark, as opposed to backing it up by copying it to some other technology...the same Allspark that would be the center of their war. Once the Decepticons went after it, they risked losing their history to their enemies, or losing it entirely should the Allspark never be found after it was jettisoned or be destroyed...without finding a way to preserve their history (which would've come in handy when The Fallen was referenced, and may still come in handy in the future).

They apparently can't read older Cybertronian languages...admittedly, not every Autobot has to be an expert linguist...but you'd think advanced technological beings that can quickly learn Earth's many languages could also learn their own languages and methods of writing.

The fact their chief medic, Ratchet, can apparently fix Bumblebee's legs when they get blown off but can't fix his voice (what the?) and can't fix Jazz, period. Meanwhile, the Decepticons know how to resurrect Megs and a tiny robot called The Doctor/Scalpel knows what to do to repair Megs after looking at him for three seconds.

The Autobots apparently had no thought that Soundwave (or any Decepticon) could be in Earth's orbit hacking military satellites, after Frenzy was able to hack into the United States' defense mainframe with relative ease while on the most well-protected flying vehicle on Earth. So the ability to communicate successfully with others within the military or American government could have been compromised at any moment (it's possible they tried to place their own safeguards into place for American computer systems...but obviously that didn't work well).

The fact they apparently have no intelligence apparatus of their own to try to gather intelligence on Decepticon movements while on Earth...because becoming a completely reactionary force stuck tracking down Decepticons whenever the military stumbles upon one is a GREAT idea. Great way to get ahead while your enemy plots away and you know jacksquat the whole time.

So yeah, that's my problem with the Autobots in the films.

(That's not even getting to the fac that 1. Sam found a second shard of the Allspark and never bothered to let the Autobots or military know [even after Prime told him the other shard was stolen by Decepticons] and 2. Mikaela found and captured a Decepticon that was looking for the other shard and mentioned something about The Fallen while Sam's starting to go crazy from touching the shard he found...and they still didn't tell the Autobots or military. And these are the two nimrods [well, only Sam was asked, so I guess one nimrod and his girlfriend] that Prime wanted to parade in front of the President as his way of saying "Trust us!" because apparently the word of the special team of soldiers they fight with and the chairman of the joint chiefs of staff who back them meant jack. Great plan.)

16. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    Yeah...All that and Optimus.

17. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    In-universe I have no complaints.

From a filmmaking standpoint it annoys me that they're treated as unkillable to a great extent. ROTF had a huge number of Autobots and when all's said and done the Decepticons have a questionable two bike sister kills to their credit, and that's it (not counting Optimus). The losses on both sides should be evened out more to help drive home the point that both sides are locked in a difficult power struggle.

18. Movie PRIME

Movie PRIME Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would just like to point out that Optimus WAS built by Alpha Trion for war. At lest he was in G1 which is what I think your basing your comparison on. As for the others I don't know.

19. Gill Hustle 617

Gill Hustle 617 Member

It could easily be done by having them banter back and forth in alt mode G1 style!

You don't even need CG, just shots inside the car Knight Rider Kitt you know?

When I re-watched the films I kept thinking how much more lively some scenes would have been . . .

20. Attacker_Prime

Attacker_Prime Optimus Prime forever

My only complaint is that they don't have more varying alt modes, but since Silverbolt was announced for TF3 I beleive that could finally be fixed.

As for the other matters that have been brought up in this thread, probably they could ressurect Jazz with the shard, but first they have to repair his body. Which Autobot would you choose they tear apart?

Indeed, they don't have any way of spying on the Decepticons, but even if they had, how could they spy them when whenever they find a Decepticon, he decides to completely destroy the city he is in?

I beleive Soundwave was shielding his signal - Starscream said in the movie that the Autobots are shielding theirs, so that could be a good explanation.

About the Allspark shards, in the last movie, you saw Optimus taking a shard out of Megatron's body - that was the shard that the humans had. They kept it knowing that they would some day need it, as they realized that even after the destruction of the Autobots, the Decepticons still wouldn't stop fighting. I can't say anything about Sam not telling anything about his shard to the Autobots - that really was kind of weird.

The Autobots made an alliance with the humans because they both had the same objective - protecting Earth from the Decepticons.

As for the Fallen, I guess the Decepticons always knew about him, and never told the Autobots. That would explain why the Autobots were never aware of the Fallen.

As for the violence, yes, they are more deadly than the previous Autobots, but what do you want them to do? Talk the Decepticons out of going on a rampage? Prison them in another dimension or something?