What's your false memory from TFTM 86?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Backscatter, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The confessions thread (and to a lesser extent the "Toilet Transformers" thread)got me thinking about this sub-topic. For years in places like alt.toys.transformers etc., fans have been insistent about events in the TFTM that never happened; e.g Optimus turning to dust (like Starscream) after he died.

In showing my age, I was 20 in 1986 when I first saw the Movie. I was sober at the time, but for the longest time I could have sworn that the repair sequence for Ultra Magnus on Junkion was longer when I saw it on the big screen. The bottles pouring on the repair solution were more numerous. Anyway, after years of looking at different versions, and never seeing this "cut down repair sequence" mentioned anywhere, I guess it's just a false memory.

If you remember seeing TFTM on the silver screen in 1986, did you ever have a false memory of events? What was it? Like the confessions thread, please no judgement on the responses! :wink: 

2. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Before I saw it again after the initial viewing in '86, I was sure that Wheeljack wasn't one of the casualties. In fact, I was positive that he helped resurrect Optimus at the end of season 3.

3. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

my false memory from 86? Anything is possible. I wasnt born till 87.

But the first time I saw the movie (in about 93) I couldve sworn I saw Optimus pound Dirge into the ground...

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Funny you should say that. Someone I knew years back who was also a fan insisted there was a scene cut from right before Optimus confronts Megatron where Optimus pounds Dirge into the ground. He said if you look at how Prime is stooped when he faces Megatron, Prime is in the right pose to be getting up from pounding someone into the ground.
    Never bought into it myself, but perhaps that's where you're getting that from. After all, Dirge was in the original footage (where Magnus had his Diaclone colours, he did a fly by then Perceptor ran in and did his speech as before).

5. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    Having been born in 86, I don't have a false memory from that year, but I do have one from watching the movie on video when I was really young (not even 5?).

You know the scene with Thrust's reflection in Prime's grill? For years, I remembered that as Prime looking out at the battlefield through the grill while in vehicle mode.

...yeah.

6. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

I remember Galvatron not sucking, but then I watched season 3 and realized that he did suck. :( 

7. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

Its been stated widely that that was supposed to have happened. I'd say it was just my mind filling in the gaps, but I didn't hear about other people saying that until a couple of years ago whenn I finally got the internet....

8. asphalt

asphalt King of the road

Ebay:
    I swear I saw a scene in the movie, or one of the mini-series type mini movies from the show where prime has an arm shot off and his face busted up (so you can see the optics behind his face) and he is barrelling through an alley running over cons. I swear this exists, but I don't know where.

9. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    I have vague memories of the Dirge piledriven to ground thing. Except, I thougt it was a generic 'con rather than Dirge.

I also have a pretty clear memory of the Junkion ship, after being torn apart by Unicron, being rebuilt and repaired on the fly into two separate crafts then making another atack run. I remember seeing Magnus take command of one ship, while Wreck-Gar was in control of the other...

10. Mad Dawg

Mad Dawg Autobot Brewmeister

I seem to remember a lot more cursing, and the scene where Hot Rod, Kup and Daniel are trying to get back to Autobot City being a LOT more dramatic.

11. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

if you guys listen to the commentary on the new anniversary dvd, they talk about both those scenes. They said that that was the original plans for the junkion ship to be repaired into two crafts, i dont know if this was animated. The scene with dirge being piledriven into the ground was animated i think they said. Watch it through with the fan commentary, so maybe in the original theatrical cut these scenes were still there?

12. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't remember Grimlock being so stupid.

13. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I hardly remember Unicron at all. The battle of Optimus and Megatron was the most dominant for me. I thought the battle lasted longer too!

14. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    My phantom memory was UM being quartered. I swear I saw the scene actually in the movie. I guess that's why I didn't question how the Junkions being able to repair him so easily, since Hot Rod practically did the same thing for Kup earlier. The funny thing is that I've had this memory long before I even knew about sites like this or other rumors about the movie. Whenever I caught it on TV, I thought they just edited it along with removing the curse words and such.

I listened to all of the commentaries as well, and they do mention that the scene with Dirge (or some other 'Con) was animated, but it was not on either disc. I'm not sure which commentary it was, but they mention that the cut scene explains why Optimus stands up twice as he is facing Megatron just before the fight begins. It was also supposed to explain why Optimus didn't have his rifle with him, since he just had it moments before.

15. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    Half of that memory is from the episode Dark Awakening, where in a fight with Hot Rod, he's thrown against a wall, losing his arm. Then while fighting off assaults from the entire Quintesson force, explosions ravage half his face.

Reminds me of a time I tried to draw that, with his face plate missing and a speaker grill below it, and the drawing freaked me out so bad i had to destroy it. I was ten.

16. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Funny that yours also had to do with Magnus's repair...I thought I had remembered that he died FOR GOOD in the movie and I totally forgot about the fact that they fixed him!

17. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

I remember crying and my dad making fun of me! :lol 

18. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    My false memory? Up until I saw TF:TM again roughly 2 years ago, I got "Dare" and "The Touch" mixed up in my head -- sort of combining the two into one song.

19. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    I remember freedom being the right of all sentient beings.... then I rewatched it and saw Optimus WASTE like 5 innocent Decepticons

20. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    To be completely honest, when i first saw it when I was young, I actually thought it was a good movie. Anymore, I can't stand it. Peace out.