What's your definition of 'value'?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by 03Mach1, Feb 22, 2010.

1. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You've seen it. I've seen it. We've all seen it. Anyone who asks for more than retail on a current item (less than a year old) that may or may not be available is a scalper. But when they ask for near or market value for an original G1 figure (or any older item for that matter) it's acceptable. Another scenario is purchase price vs. market value. Just because I happen to luck into a no longer available piece (let's say Animated Sunstorm for fun) at 75% off does that mean I'm obligated to offer it up here for the price I paid? Does that make me any less of a collector/fan/member? Wouldn't I be silly to not want the most in trade/sale for a particular item?

So tell me, how do YOU determine a value for an item you are trying to trade/sell?

2. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

As I've been told, the real definition of value is What buyer is willing to pay for said item versus what seller is willing to sell the item for.

Items that are rare, and I mean rare, are more valuable than every day items.
    Obviously, items that are kept mint in sealed boxes, maintain their value and/or increase their value if they become rare or endangered species.

Bottom line is, value is only determined by what buyer/seller agree upon.

3. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I'm not really in the TF trading & selling market, but after reading your opening post I'd say I'd put a dollar value of "what someone would be willing to pay for it" on it. You're not obligated to do anything with your things. If you buy a G1 Omega at a flea market for $2 and you can turn that right around for $80 (settle down OS lovers--I'm just using a number), then you have every right to.

4. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    its what the market will bear of course.

I put scalping separate and i define scalping as this : selling a hard to find item currently available at market or recently sold out of retail availability at a price that is greater than a reasonable markup.

Now if Ebay seller puts that Animated Sunstorm for sale on Ebay with a 99 cent starting bid and people go nuts and bid it up to $200 before the auction ends thats not scalping to me its hitting the jackpot.

Now putting that same figure at at $100.00 or more buy it now would be ( I can imagine Ani Sunstorm is worth that much yet) I have no problem with people selling on Ebay to make a profit its when people go beyond trying to a simple profit to ripping people off on a highly desirable item that ticks me off.

5. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If I like a Transformer, it's valuable. At least to me.

6. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But what if Sunstorm has been consistently selling for $175-200? Is it reasonable to expect someone here to sell it for significantly less? The attitude of 'I don't want to pay ebay prices' is a common one in the B/S/T forum. But if those prices are consistent, then to me, that is what the market dictates. While I certainly understand selling it for less here (no listing/selling fees,etc), anything more than 10-20% less seems excessive.

I'm not challenging your opinion, just furthering the discussion.
    :thumbs2: 

7. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

For me, value is determined by time.

If I'm going to sell a figure I bought last week, I would expect to make up at least the cost of buying the figure.

If I'm going to sell a figure I bought when I was 15, the value is much more flexible in my mind. Since I bought it so long ago, ANYTHING I can make selling it counts as profit, whether that's higher or lower than what I purchased it for.

When I put my sale thread together, I wasn't looking around on eBay trying to find prices and maximize my profit. I went with my gut reaction on the prices and I've sold a few figures as a result. I base my prices on when I purchased them, what I think they might be worth, and how quickly I want them out of my house :D .

8. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

Mindwipe is my definition of value, the best $20 figure period!

9. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    If that the going price so be it, but i really dislike is when sellers put it at a high price buy it now and give no chance for a lower bid to win the items, combine that with buying up a fair quantity of a highly desirable and hard to find for one reason or another adds up to ripping collectors and fans off.

as for the Junkion exchange to me those prices seem more sane and well considered than Ebay and that is generally because the people who know what they have are selling and they know the ones who will buy it are just as knowledgable.

10. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    For me, Value is size. G1 Fort Max-$1000-$1500 MISB.
    Bumblebee G1-$10.

11. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

This may sound a bit on he shiesty side, but hear me out.

If you're selling it to a friend, or someone you know is a local collector from your Sightings thread or something. By all means, cut them a deal. Let them know you picked up the figure on sale or clearance.

If you're selling the figure to someone cross country, and they're willing to pay near retail or more, then why not? Get what you can out of the deal.

12. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    It's pretty simple. If the market won't bear your price, it goes unsold. If you want to move your item, you lower your price if at first you have no takers.

13. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You can charge whatever amount you want, be it the retail value or an inflated cost, but the fact is it's a buyers market. If the buyer does not find the price fair for whatever reason, the seller isn't going to sell his item. Thus, there is an incentive for the seller to maintain "reasonable" prices.

How much is "reasonable" depends on a variety of factors, including the actual price of the item (MSRP), the demand-to-supply ratio for the item, the age of the item, rarity, condition, how much it's being sold for elsewhere, etc. Most of it is qualitative, and therefore, no "correct" price exists -- only the greatest price you are able to sell for or the least price you are able to buy for.

That said, if you're selling something, it's better to start high and work your way down. If you're buying, bidding up is the best way to achieve a low price.

By this explanation, I would argue that there is almost no difference between scalpers and regular sellers. The only distinction is that scalpers, in my interpretation, will buy up stock in such a way that it evacuates the market of the item in question, creating the false impression of low supply, in order to drive up the relative demand, and more importantly, to increase justifiable prices. It's not so much that their prices are wrong, but they utilize malicious tactics to affect the market in their favor.

/opinion

14. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    It's as simple as supply and demand.

15. kajobaldisimo

kajobaldisimo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    if i like it, it has value.

lucky draw movie 1 prime may be more expensive, but my buster prime has more value, to me.

16. lostnfound

lostnfound Contructiconvict

Ask Supreme Devastator who for months now was being sold to a few shmucks here and there for over $100, only to come down to nearly half-off in some places because people weren't "valuing" him enough to shell out that kind of cash.

17. catz

catz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    if a toys made me and my wallet happy, that's where I found my value :D 

18. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Value is size, detail, and/or articulation.

So, yeah. I'd sell for what seems fair to me and we'll haggle.

19. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    I like your style!

Happen to have a decent Headmaster Shuffler for sale? I'm willing to pay you $10. I don't mind if its colored or White version. :lol 

20. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I would never ever pay more than 30 Euro for a toy.