What's your attitude toward Alt. Covers?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Magnus' Mate, May 7, 2010.

1. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just curious - how many folk out there are Transformers comic completists in terms of the range of alternate covers for each issue? I imagine there are plenty of fans who get every issue released... but how many of us go for the alt. covers to really feel like we've got a "complete" collection?

Though there's a small completist voice in me who occasionally speaks up, I just can't justify getting the same comic multiple times just for the different cover. I suppose it's a bit like getting the same toy in different-released packaging (I try and avoid that too).

I can understand alternate covers for big "events" e.g. issue #1s, anniversary issues etc, but it does bug me that every single issue has at least two. Yeah, yeah, I know - "you don't have to get everyone; just get whichever you like; no one is forcing you to get all of them" - it just bugs me that's all...

So, who among you out there DOES buy all the covers and do you ever stop and think "what the hell am I doing?" or do the warm & fuzzies from having such a vast collection of comics successfully keep you happy?

2. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I ignore the multiple covers. When the Dreamwave minis started, I tried to get both of each cover, then after a few month asked myself 'Why am I doing this?" and stopped. Been just one of each issue from then on out.

3. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    I generally just pick up whichever cover I like best, if all other things (prices, availability) are the same. Very seldom do i pick up more than one cover of a book.

I used to pick up every cover, too, but it was just stupid and expensive. That lasted all the way through the Dreamwave run and very early into the IDW run. Once I got engaged, and especially since I got married, I had to change as I of course had more responsibilities for my mney to go to.

4. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Burn them.

5. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    With all of DW's stuff, I picked up EVERY alternate cover, and also did with IDW at the beginning of their license. The later "sketch covers" are a pathetic excuse for an "incentive", from my perspective.

Due to my feelings about the current state of IDW's story and artwork, I've since dropped TF comics altogether and closed out my box at the local store. If I ever do pick back up again, I'll probably just pick whatever cover I like best.

6. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I collected comics in the 80's where I wanted to own every comic. Seeing how that turned out (a shit load of comics that know body wants) I only but 1.
    I think it’s crazy that every comic has an Alt cover now, it take anything special out of a limited alt cover away.

And to be honest, it kinds of annoys me. I feel like there trying to take advantage of us.

7. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister Cat + Sinister = TROUBLE

Meh. It's understandable it they want to have a vendor-exclusive cover or differentiate a second/third/whatever printing, but this 1:13 nonsense has to stop. Even dumber are the variants that have the exact same numbering as the main cover. What's the point?

8. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

what's killer to me is the last ongoing cover. one picture was spread over two different issues, so if you wanted a complete image of the autobots taking on devastator, you had to buy both. to me, that is unacceptable-- it should've been a wrap-around, and the cover B should've been a different picture entirely.

9. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I only get my favorite ones, and ignore the rest.

10. Empir3

Empir3 Bedstructicon Empir3

I like having the multiple options and seeing different artists interpretations. But i mostly buy trades these days so i can get all the cover art that way too :D .

11. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I picked up every Dreamwave cover I could find, even second and third printings. To me, they did multiple covers right. A Hologram and Incentive cover for the first issue, the two G1 minis had two regular covers for each issue, and then the occasional special incentive (G1 vol. 2 #6, G1 ongoing #4, and WWI #5). Basically, the incentives felt special, and more importantly, occasional.

IDW from the start turned me off to monthly issues because of how many variants each issue had. The Infiltration mini averaged 5-6 variants per issue. That is insane Granted they've got better, but once I mad the decision to not buy IDW's monthlies I never looked back.

12. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    It was fun back in the 1990's and early 2000's, but now it's blatant catering to completist tendencies. I used to be all about comic collecting until the market got saturated with variant covers for EVERY issue. Now I'm just a reader. When the comic book store clerk asks me if I want bags and boards for my funny books nowadays, I tell him not to bother.

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I used to buy as many covers as I could. I've got most all of the TF Dreamwave covers. I used to for IDW as well but then one day £10 was being charged for a particular alternate cover and I just decided enough was enough. Cancelled having each cover (I'm sure my comic shop was sad at that) and knocked probably two-thirds off the price of my monthly comics order.
    Multiple covers are so common now since they'e every issue that they've lost what made them special and worth having.

14. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

I don't mind it when it's for a special issue of some kind, anniversary, incentive or whatever. But things like DW's and IDW's massive overuse of it on regular issues bugs the shit out of me.

15. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Not really a fan of alternate covers. Sure, it's a great for artists to create something cool next to the normal cover (more work!), but it's also a bit of a cheap tactic to get your book to sell better. There's always people that will want all of the different covers.

I'm just mad though, because I always happen to miss first prints, then end up with second prints that don't have such appealing covers :lol 

16. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Variant covers are a stupid waste of paper designed to milk gullible people out of extra money by making them buy the same comic book multiple times. It's a stupid and shameless practice, especially when companies do things like Marvel's Deadpool variants, many of which were on comics in which Deadpool doesn't even appear.

17. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

same prices: only one, get the best looking one
    different prices: get the cheaper one.

2nd/3rd/etc printing: dont buy it

i used to buy the incentive, variant covers, 2nd printing (if it was a different cover), and director's cut but that got too costly...

im also sad that some issues only come in director's cut...sucks cause i dont really care about the 70-80s issue that they add in.

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  18. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I get whatever cover I like the best, and only from titles I want to read. These days that's only LSOTW.

The extra covers are in the trade if I really, REALLY must have them.

19. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got both covers for DW's first two miniseries. Ever since, I just get whichever cover I like the best. No need for two of the exact same comic.

20. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love 'em. Especially when my LCS sells them to me at cover price. :)  Once I realized how terrible IDW's art and story were, I bought ONLY the incentive covers because they were drawn by someone other than Su (Ruffalo, Don, Guidi, Khanna, etc).