Whats wrong with MP Megatron?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by tchad, Apr 15, 2009.

1. tchad

tchad Well-Known Member

Hey, I read that Megatron MP needs an upgrade to makes his legs not suck? After about 45 minutes searching the forums - I decided to do the thing everyone hates and just ask. What does the addon/upgrade do to improve that - and whats wrong with them to begin with?

I was going to buy this tonight and now I'm all nervous because of how terrible the MP Voltron was (different company I know, but a lot of money for both).

2. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My MP Megs is perfect... And I'm right anal about issues with the other MPs!

3. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    There's nothing wrong with him. He stands and poses just fine. Some people just happen to prefer having the metal plates on the legs that are offered up in the upgrade set.

my gripe with the mold is the balljoints they used for the shoulder and hip kibble. Shit just pops off too easy but really that's a minor gripe. they pop back on just easily.

4. tchad

tchad Well-Known Member

Ahh ok. do the plates cover the trigger or something? every shot i look at seems to be the extended barrel and stock. is that a different upgrade or am i just failing at the internet badly today?

EDIT: I found it. I didn't know it came with so much. Thanks for taking the time to answer me!

In case anyone else is not so good at searching here is the link (no idea why I couldn't find this without google) http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...ustitoys-mp-5-upgrade-package-megatron-3.html

5. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You know - this is the first time I've realised that the set comes with replacement metal leg bits. Do they actually help with posing the figure? As far as I can tell the only thing that would help is a lighter arm-cannon.

6. Drpee

Drpee Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The only real problem with him is his arm cannon is too big and heavy and tends to unbalance him which makes posing a bit of a pain at times, that and his chrome die-cast pieces tarnish and end up looking rusty, like mine.

7. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

The metal leg bits help a little bit only becasue it gives him more weight in the legs, and if you want to pose him wiht his arm out, it gets to be to top heavy. My problem is the shelf i have him displayed is that white melamine (plastic) shelving thats a littel slick, and wiht the chromed feet, it can slide around a bit. ilove the upgrade kit, and don't regret it at all.

Randy!

8. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's not a engineering problem, he just looks like a sissy in robot mode.

9. tony77tony77

tony77tony77 Well-Known Member

LOVE both my MP Megatron and my MP Voltron!!! There are not thing wrong with them.

10. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I think he looks badass.

11. bulletthebluesky

bulletthebluesky Mmmm... Beer

He's got dancer's legs! :lol 

Edit: oh, and is this upgrade kit that everybody is talking about the one from JustiToys with the silencer and everything.... I have it, just never took it out of the box yet to even know if any of it is metal Haha.

12. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    nothing wrong with mp megs.. its awesome

13. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Posability is limited, but a fully transformable G1 Megatron that doesn't have the triggerpenis was the selling point that got me to buy him.

Though admittedly I've never actually transformed the toy, because I'm too terrified of breaking him in half :redface2: 

14. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Guess I need to find mine a stripper pole then (yes, when I read 'dancer,' strippers are the first thing my mind jumps to).

I never knew the upgrade kit came with stuff for the legs. I think the only thing that'll increase posability is a lighter arm cannon as has been stated previously though, so I think I'll still pass.

15. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

This is really the only problem I have with MP Megatron. He's never fallen over or anything, he just stands a little lop-sided.

Same here. I transformed MP Starscream without breaking anything and figured I used up all my good karma in the process. So MP Megatron stays untransformed.

16. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    My MP Megs has an unfortunate case of Cosmic Rust which I have to deal with, but that's a maintenance issue, specifcally, my failure to clean the rust off when it was easier to deal with. It seems to be more like silverware tarnish.

As for the upgrade kit:

MP Megs has never really had much trouble standing WITHOUT his cannon. His armo cannon, with the electronics, probably weight as much as the rest of the figure. His arm joints are tight enough to hold that monster up, and mine could actually pull off some good poses with it, as long as he was standing on a surface with enough friction to hold his feet in place.

Now, the replacement leg bits for Megatron are made of heavy die cast as opposed to plastic. They're there to give you the attach point for the stock, which likely would be too heavy for plastic. But they also give you some more weight in the legs, which gives him more friction and allows him to stand more easily with the cannon. I have noticed that WITHOUT the arm gun, he seems even more stable than before.

However, the only thing the upgrade adds is WEIGHT. It does not mechanically alter the legs in any way that affects standing or posing.

But the upgrade is awesome as you get the absolutely IMMENSE combined cannon form, which is not only staggeringly huge, but actually fires completely unsafe plastic projectiles, just like the original, un-nerfed Japanese release of G1 Megatron did.

17. steph1979

steph1979 Banned

You guys are crazy. Sure he's got spindly legs but he's got a bigass cannon that's permanently attached to his arm.

18. LightningZERO

LightningZERO The Alternity

News Credits:
    So..if I like to play with and transform my Transformers lot, it's not recommended for me to buy this MP Megatron?

19. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Uhh why not? it's like the TF equivalent to the Rubik's cube. but it's not really that playable but as for transforming it back & forth I used to do it at least once a month. it's like an excercise in nerve-wracking patience whenever I do it.

Both sentences QFT! ;)  the metal weights actually adds a bit more heft to it. so that Megs doesn't feel lightweight anymore.

As for the missiles it really fires & be very careful with it. one careless hair trigger & off it goes! watch where you fire it as the missiles can travel quite a distance.

All in all a big thumbs-up for the Justitoys upgrade package. makes it look more G1 accurate. :thumb 

20. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Depends what you mean by play. If it involves smashing him against other toys, then he probably is not for you. However transforming him and putting him in cool poses there is no problems. I recommend watching a couple vids on youtube of his transformation to get a feel for it, and then try it yourself. I transform mine all the time and have never had any problems. If you have a G1 Megatron he has a pretty similar transformation, just a little more complex. I'm actually more worried about breaking the G1 then the Masterpiece.