what's worse (scalpers or shortpack)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by transfan681, May 5, 2012.

?

what worster (scalpers or shortpack)

Poll closed Jan 28, 2015.
  1. scalpers

41 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. shortpack

95 vote(s)
    42.8%
  3. BOTH !

86 vote(s)
    38.7%
  1. transfan681

transfan681 Retired TF Collector

News Credits:
    so just a random Q
    what's worse (scalpers or shortpack)
    i say scalpers

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2012
  2. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shortpacked figures.

I don't care about scalpers. If they get to the figure first, they can do whatever they want.

3. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    worse....worster....worcestershire

all of a sudden, I'm hungry....

To be honest, scalpers are not as bad as figures being shortpacked. Even sometimes when figures aren't shorpacked, the ones people want that may come two in a case may disappear thanks to hoarders. If anything, a hoarder is worse. Even worse when they double up as scalpers.

4. J2DK

J2DK Fan

I believe that shortpacking figures is worse. If we are going to get one of a figure, please make it so that there isn't one packed three per case of 8.

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Scalping is not a crime and should stop being condemned.

6. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    what worse is a toy company that deliberately short packs army builders especially when said current tv series promotes said short packed figures as the main generic army of the evil faction of transformers....

7. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    Oh come on now.....where would the fandom be without someone to blame for not being able to find something at retail? :p 

8. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I don't know about you, buddy, but I'm trying to keep what hair I've got left! Good day, sir!

Oh wait, not that kind of scalping... :D 

They'd have to blame themselves, god forbid. And (shudder) they might have pay markup if they want their robit toyz!

9. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    I'll bet people selling Rogaine at marked up prices are making a killing.

10. masishadow

masishadow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think this poll is inherently flawed as shortpacking leads directly to scalping. You don't see anyone trying to scalp 2-3 to a case Bumbebees. Well, maybe it's like in Dumb and Dumber...selling a bird to a blind kid; I'm sure I could find someone stupid enough to scam.

11. TheBeastman

TheBeastman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No its not a crime, but maybe it should be.

12. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

The shortpack is the reason for the scalpers. If everything came two or three to a case, and the cases were twice the size, each store would tend to have the same figures on the shelves.

13. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

Why should people have to pay more for something just because someone artificially inflates the rarity/demand for an item by depleting available stock?

That's what scalping is. Yeah, it's not a crime but it doesn't make it any less douche-y.

14. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

Shortpacked drives the scalpers. but a scalper is better then a horder, they wont sell them but atleast a scalper will, even if its a mark up.

15. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bumblebee. Causing shortpacked figure syndrome since 2007.

16. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    just like every other company does. The only diffrence is that a scalper is not a company but the way to operate is the same.

buy something that is hot and attractiv and sell it for profit. Have not ppl been doing this for ages? The only diffrence is that there is a bunch of whiny TF fans who dont get a certain toy and whines about it on the internet.

17. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream HE PULLS THE STRINGS AND HE MAKES THEM RING

News Credits:
    You crazy? SHORTPACKING! IT'S NOT EVEN A DEBATE!
    Troopbuilders = ONE TO A CASE?

18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    :rolleyes2 

If you wanted to say that some of the activities people throw the word "scalping" around about aren't actually scalping, I will agree with you.

But actual scalping should in fact be condemned by anyone who isn't a douchebag.

As to which is worse: eh. When it comes to our hobby, the worst scalping usually involves shortpacked figures, so they are often connected.

19. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I believe short-packing is the 'worster' of the two.

A scalper is someone who buys a hard-to-find (short-packed/popular) toy with the intent to resell for a much higher price. Not a collector, per se, but an opportunist.

A hoarder is someone who buys the short-packed/popular toys for their personal collection and never intends to profit from them (army-builders fall into this category).

Short-packing is controlled at the manufacturer/distributor. Figures are arranged in case assortments how the manufacturer sees them selling.

In the end, short-packing is the catalyst. If figures weren't packed to be rare or at least hard-to-get, hoarders (army-builders) could have their fun without impacting those that can't find a figure, and scalpers would only feed on those that don't have access to online shopping or retail distribution.

On another note, the term 'scalper' is truly thrown around way too much. Not being able to find something at retail doesn't necessarily make it the scalper's fault. It's most likely due to something being popular or in demand, and a larger-in-your-area-than-you-thought collecting crowd that got to it first. Scalpers are out there, but not as common as most think.

Personally, I'm looking for a FE Optimus. Awhile back, kind-hearted Canadians were selling them to us for their cost plus shipping. That was awesome, and I unfortunately missed the chance due to my own stupidity. Now, I'm seeing people with cases of them selling each figure at over $100 a pop. I wouldn't label them scalpers, but more like opportunists. In my own vernacular I call that 'scalper-pricing', but it's only because it's shorter than saying 'opportunistic pricing'.

20. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Uh, wait. If someone buys an entire case of a rare item with the intention of selling it at a steep markup, exactly how is that different from scalping?

The way I see it, opportunism is when you happen on an opportunity by chance, and decide to take advantage. "Oh, here's a popular figure, I could make a little cash on this." Scalping is when you specifically make an effort to create the first scenario, and on a larger scale. "Hey, I know when the assortments go up on the shelves. I could stake out the pallets until then, and snatch all the rare ones" or anything similar.