What's with these online prices?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by crazyjeffy, Jun 1, 2012.

1. crazyjeffy

crazyjeffy Hammertastic

Seriously? >.> And this isn't including shipping. At most retail the deluxes go for ~$12. Online stores such as BBTS and TFsource there's a lot of higher pricing

Such as:
    Knock Out at $17
    Ratchet at $21
    RID Cliffjumper at 19$
    Wheeljack at 19$
    and all the voyagers at ~$30!

Why are online prices so different than retail? It's bad enough that shipping is dooky>.> Is it a distribution thing?

2. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

That's why I prefer the hunt - costs the same when factoring in gas (usually), but it's much more fun.

3. Mousesi2k

Mousesi2k Decepticreep

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    More fun and it almost feels accomplishing when you do find it. Also has the instant gratification feeling to!

4. crazyjeffy

crazyjeffy Hammertastic

Same here. The only bad part is the utter disappointment when you go in for the nth time and there's nothing but the yellow plague.

5. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    There's nothing BUT the yellow plague in my area. If I want something I need to order it online, otherwise I can just forget about it.

6. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I only see them at $15 so I don't care about a couple extra bucks.

But the main reason is supply and demand. Online retailers put them at that price because people will pay it.

7. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would be over the moon if I could pay $30 for a voyager.

8. scoobsterinc

scoobsterinc Scoobs

News Credits:
    At the moment we have a mild yellow plague we still have other figures well apart from cyberverse its the freakin yellow pages!

9. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Online stores have to price the in-demand figures higher to offset the figures they won't sell, like Optimus and Bumblebee, so they can make some sort of a profit off the case of figures.

It's as simple as that.

Stores like Wal-Mart and Target don't do it because they can sit on product for years; BBTS and other stores don't have that luxury or warehouse space. The glut of Bumblebees that don't sell affect them far worse in many ways.

For example, voyagers are $30 because they will only sell Starscream and Bulkhead out of the case of 4 -- not the two Optimus, who they already have a ton of from Wave 1 they still need to sell.

10. Flyby33

Flyby33 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Welcome to the world of collecting and buying online. The benefits are securing a figure you might not find at the store, which after several trips to come up empty handed. Gas is always a factor these days so the small price hike is worth it to me. Use the pol on bbts and you can save huge money on shipping.

11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Not anymore. You are living in the past. I haven't seen them that cheap in stores for months now.

I'm seeing them for $14.99 and up.

And why don't people complaining about BBTS's price on Knock Out also mention their lower than retail prices on the shelfwarmer figures? Bumblebee: $6. Where are you going to find that in a store? Hell, Cliffjumper, Arcee and Hot Shot are all cheaper at BBTS than retail right now.

The BBTS prices balance themselves out. They charge more for the in-demand figures while undercharging for the figures they don't want to end up sitting on forever. Yeah, Knock Out costs more at BBTS. But if you buy a Knock Out and a Bumblebee (if you don't have one), you still come out ahead of retail pricing.

I get that no one wants to pay above retail for anything. I don't either. But "What's with these online prices?" ? Do you really not understand why they do this?

12. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Exactly! The funny thing is, I even feel accomplished when I find something I already own, just because it's great to see some figures in the wild.

Yellow Fever's been ebbing away around here recently. Besides, I collect more than just TFs, so a trip is rarely an altogether flub.

13. BooyakaDragon

BooyakaDragon I Don't Even Know

News Credits:
    Yellow Plague LOL

14. TheMrmaster21

TheMrmaster21 I will swallow your soul.

Those prices are actually cheap for online standards. Knock Out used to be like $40 on eBay. Luckily, the Vehicon has gone down to $20-$25 from like $60.

15. cvmaas

cvmaas Well-Known Member

It's totally a distribution thing. The CHEAPEST price at retail is Walmart at $12.88 and after tax thats $13.78 + gas. BUT I went searching nearly every other day for a month for the wave 3 figures, so even for the couple I was lucky enough to find, before Walmart and Target cut the TF's shelf space in half to make room for Batman, I was well over 17 for KnockOut and the others, so the online price is really cheaper in the end. Even more so if u get all 3 from the same retailer and combine shipping. Gas is $3.50+ a gallon these days after all lol

That's from a collector perspective, from the retailers side, it's more like the following:
    I just got a wave 3 case from HTS, shipping was free, but they did charge taxes. so the total was $99.50, putting me at $12.44 for each figure.

Cheaper than retail and no gas, SCORE right? nah, not at all as now I have an extra Arcee, Ratchet and another Bee that I need to sell for my price of $12.43, otherwise I am getting close to that $17 each level for the deluxes.

Now there is no way I am going to get rid of the Bee for more than $5-8, so after getting rid of that burden and taking the loss I am at around $13.48 for the remaining figures. Am I going to get someone to pay me retail for Arcee? Not likely, so again my cost per figure goes up and gets closer to $17, with more work on my end to try to stay below that level than just buying online at the "inflated" price.