What's with the use of 'God'?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by King Starscream, Aug 7, 2006.

1. King Starscream

King Starscream <b><font color=blue>The Royal Seeker</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    I saw a few Masterforce episodes on Youtube and it got me wondering what the Japanese mean when they use 'God'. There's God Ginrai, Godbomber, God Neptune, and the Godmasters from Masterforce. In Car Robots there was God Fire Convoy and God Magnus. And in G Gundam there's God Gundam and God Finger. Is the word supposed to mean that particular robot is all powerful and such?

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    yes.

3. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    and God only knows. :D 

4. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

IIRC, in Japan 'God' and 'Power' are either the same word, or have very simillar meanings.

5. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I took it as meaning the character is powerful akin to the myriad of Shinto gods; not equated to the level of power assumed by monotheistic religions, but between there and a high-level mystical critter.

6. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    QFT.

7. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    In the case of God Gundam, the actual design was in the image of a god. The ring of light that apears on it's back is a reference to that.

8. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    yup also it is to describe something as being an awesome power.

Also the Japanese word for God is Kami, so when they refer to God in the cartoons they usually say Kami or Kami-sama

9. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    IIRC, that's one of those immortal myths about JTF. The last thing I heard from what I recall to be a reliable source was this:

The Japanese don't have the same conception of an omnipotent, omniscient monotheistic deity like the one Christians, Jews and Muslims believe in.

To them, a "god" is simply a being with immense power. Think Marvel's Thor. :) 

I'd like to hear a confirmation from someone closer to the source, though. SYD? :D 

10. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    True but in some they clearly say God and not Kami, like the mentioned God Fire Convoy and God Magnus. I think God Gundam is like that also but I could be wrong. Also Devil and Hell are used a lot, like Devil Gundam, Devil Gigatron and Hellscream.

11. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Who was the first TF to have "God" in their name? God Neptune? Maybe it was initially just a play on the Roman Neptune's position as a god, but the trend caught on. Maybe "God" and Kami/Kami sama arn't synonymous in Japan in the same way "God" and god aren't synonymous in the west.

12. Deathx360

News Credits:
    Wasn't God Ginrai and God Bomber the first Transformers to use the word God in their names? I'm not sure but God Neptune may have been in that series as well or was that Beast Wars II? Anyway it was first used to the best of my knowledge in Masterforce, but I could be wrong.

13. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hello :D 

First off the words god (kami) and power (chikara, etc) are different.

I must say Japanese have very relaxed concept about god/buddha whatever. We go to Shinto shrine for the new year's prayers and have Christmas parties then do Buddhist funerals.
    But the oldest religion we had is Shinto, where there said to be 8 million gods.

Plus you need to consider that when used in Japanese "God" (goddo in pronounceation) is a borrowed foreign word, so it doesn't really mean anything religeous to a normal Japanese person.
    I'd say (as other people mentioned already) it's just used to express those TFs have some super powers.
    Same as Gigatron became Devil Gigatron, I guess.

14. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

In the case of TransFormers that use that word in their name, I suspect it's meant in the lowercase "g" sense. A "god", not The "God". However, by putting the word into a name it becomes a proper noun and so the "g" becomes an uppercase "G". No wonder it confuses some people.

15. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    That is exactly what I said! I think actually in a headmasters or was it a masterforce episode there was a little blurb with the subtitles that mentioned the difference that is where I knew that from.

16. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i think its blasphemeous. sacriliage!

just kiddin'.

eh, its not like theyre calling em jesus prime or anything. altho' that'd actually be kinda cool.

are TFs a blasphemy against god?

17. OmegaVPrimus

OmegaVPrimus Well-Known Member

Wait...I thought god meant the "Creator" or as a provider to all known........................I mean sure powerful but it also mean's the creator of....So meg's could be the great provider for the Decepticon's! lol :D 

18. Onslaught Phase 2

Onslaught Phase 2 Know my name and fear it!

SydneyY knows his stuff. :)  That basically answers the question. God = super powerful adjective. Nothing religious. I mean, you can draw the parallels in that the character has god-like (super) powers AND is good in the case of the God prefix. Like was already mentioned, Devil Gigatron, Devil Z, Hellscream are names on the opposite side of the spectrum. It's just effect. I think it's fun and conveys the point.

They like using english (foreign) words in anime. :D  Hell there's been shows that make fun of that trend (Watch Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi for instance ep 3).

Yes, Masterforce was the first time it was used. Godmasters and Godbomber/God Ginrai. Devil Z/Black Zarak too set the Devil prefix trend in motion. If you think about it, that show had "some spiritual" tones to it, in that Godmasters were able to use all natural life energies to augment themselves or attack with... certainly different.

"CHOKON POWER" ;) 

19. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

I think that might be part of it. Seeing how they used "Devil Gigaton", it has to refer to one of three religions. Maybe they used "God" and "Devil" to explain how they would act, God Fire Convoy-Good like God & Devil Gigitron- Evil like the Devil.

20. Deathx360

News Credits:
    What about God Neptune? Wasn't he a villian?