What's with the hate on humans?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by kaijuguy19, Nov 1, 2011.

1. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I know this may sound old but perhaps one of the Transformers fandoms pet peeves is often the humans. I honestly don't know why they deserve this amount of hate. I mean if we're talking about humans like Miko, Daniel, and Kicker that's understandable but aren't the human characters suppose the represent the viewer mainly us? Also many of them are great characters and make good heroes and villians not just the Autobots and Decepticons like Jack Darby Sari Sumdac Captain Lennox,Dr Arkville,Silas and Prometheus Black just to name a few. Another complaint which I've heard from the movieverse is that the humans in the films are able to kill Decepticons in a unrealistic way. If you think about it logiclly would'nt making them so weak that they can't even put one scratch on a Decepticon also be unrealistic? I'm not saying anyone's wrong to dislike a human but it would help if they would at least give a valid reason. It's also funny because while some of these people complain about the human characters being useless how would they know they'll do better? If the complainers go into the human characters shoes I would like to see them do any better. So what are your thoughts on the human characters in general?

2. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    Because humans are boring and the Transformers are human enough anyway. Also, most humans have no business being on the battlefield with Transformers unless they're like Lennox or Epps. They're often shoe horned in to the detriment of the show and the effort to write, act and animate them could go to more Transformers.

There are exceptions, like Lennox or Epps, and I did quite enjoy what MECH did to Breakdown. That was awesome.

3. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Because I think that the focus is too much on them at times, when it shouldn't be.

It's like what if Dragonball Z followed around a human sidekick of Goku while he powered up to be a super saiyajin and tore Namek down along with Freeza?

Moreover, in almost 30 years, the human sidekicks are almost always juveniles or just kids. And, barring the movies, most adults are presented as awkward tag-alongs rather than somebody more essential.

Agent Fowler is Team Prime's liaison to the outside world and he's basically the comic relief.

4. Taziir

Taziir Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Humans are meatbag's. They have loose joints, poor articulation, they leak when you transform them and turn in to a floppy mess. At least KO Transfomers last a few transformations before breaking.

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    You don't need 'relatable human characters' for a robot-driven cartoon to be successful. Just look at WALL-E.

It would make perfect sense, given the Decepticons' nature as an advanced faction of military robots who possess millions of years' worth of battlefield tactics and technical know-how. Plus, humans being able to take down the Cons with ease devalues the Autobot presence.

One does not have to be a master chef to know that something is unpalatable.

6. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    I agree the focus shouldn't focus on the humans too much but if we don't have a human connection somehow you might as well be seeing a show about souless killing machines who's purpose in life is to kill the enemy nothing more. Human connections help show other sides to the Autobots characters and personaltys. Like showing compassion,helping each other with thier personal struggles and having a fun side. I know Beast Wars has not much humans but they were far from useless and actually helped at one point! As a challenge to all the human haters I would like to see YOU do any better in the human's shoes!

7. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    I know that but what about for non Transformers fans?

I don't think the army devauled the Autobots at all if anything they were on equal footing.

One does not have to be Master chief true but they also don't have to be on the sidelines as well.

8. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    Its because lately human characters are really annoying. Galaxy Force was OK but they have never been as good as Spike and Sparkplug.

9. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I'd just like my giant robot show to feature giant robots.

The trick is, assign the giant robots human qualities and emotions, have them act accordingly, and bingo! No humans required! Let the grand space opera commence!

10. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only human characters I like are almost all the humans in Prime, Sari post-season 2, and the military dudes in the movies. Everyone else can go away.

If I was a human character, I wouldn't "try to be any better," I'd get out of the damn way of giant aliens and stop trying too hard to help them. Prime is one of the only TV shows to get it right from the start. They don't try to force the humans into every episode and when they're there it's for a legitimate reason.

11. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    What about ones like Jack Darby and Sari Sumdac? I personaly applude what they did with Jack's personalty! Sari had her bratty moments but at least she has more common sense than Miko. Spike and Sparkplug are not the only good human characters around. Seriously am I the only one who DOSE"NT hate humans?!?!?!?!!?!?!!?!

12. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    I know I WOULDN'T do better. That's why I would stay out of the damned way, so I would live and because I know when battling Decepticons, any reasonable Autobot would be willing to kill a Con, even if it meant a human had to die.

A Con that's allowed to live has the potential to kill far more humans than the collateral damage of one battle.

13. Una

Una Well-Known Member

I have no problem with humans but it is just used wrong.

Humans shouldn't be the forefront of any Transformers Series. The movies used a human to make it relatable but like many of you said, you don't need humans.

But humans can be an interesting P.O.V when used properly. The P.O.V of humans should be of helplessness, fear, determination to survive, and defend themselves and others.

Like Decepticons attack a city, citizens are screaming and running to get away from giant robots that can squash them. The robots that are mercilessly shooting at them, trashing and demolishing buildings. Actually, that would be a good side game for a Transformers series. A player taking control of a human going by his or her normal day then explosions and screams ring across the atomosphere. Human is knocked out but wakes up a couple of minutes later, trying to escape the rumble. Looks out to see planes flying across sky. Human is thinking that they are being attacked by terrorists then sees one of the planes transform into a robot, robot starts firing randomly. Human runs but runs into a giant robot who looks down at him, looking at the human with disgust.

"Flithy fleshling!"

Human screams and runs to avoid the foot of the huge robot, robot starts chasing after the human. Human avoids debris but gets shot, starts limping but keeps going. Military planes try to combat the machines but the fight is lost as the robots just crush them like flies. More hopelessness dwells with the human but the human runs. Many other humans are doing the same thing then the same plane as before literally shoots them all. Human takes cover to avoid the ricohet of bullets and looks at the bloody graveyard ahead of him/her in horror, wanting to get out of this nightmare. The Decepticon from before comes back for the human, wanting to terrorize the small creature like a malicous game. Human panics and dodges the obstacles as the huge robot is walking towards him/her, mocking her/him while destroying the bulidings and squashing any humans in his path like they were nothing. A missile blows the road up ahead and the human is forced to go inside a building, which turns out to be a mistake as the robot chasing the human is taunting the situation as the human goes to the other end but the other end turns out to be dead end. The robot's hand comes down at him/her. Human screams and goes back but the robot makes the building collaspe on him/her. Human is trapped. The face of the monster smiles menacingly. The hand reaches out towards him but then the robot gets attacked. Human looks on and sees that some new robots are attacking the others. The one that saved his/her life is red and blue is looking down at him/her. Human is unsure, scared. The optics of the robot seem solemn with a hint of sorrow. Human asks the robot who are they. Robot responds with "A race that shouldn't be here."

Okay, I just rambled. XDDDDDDDDdd

Anyway, like I said, Transformers don't need humans to be relatable. Transformers are related by their character being developed over time. Sticking a human partner with him doesn't need to happen.

14. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I don't think anyone hates human characters. However, when the humans are given more face time than the giant robots that the film/tv show/comic/whathaveyou is ostensibly supposed to be about - that's when they become a problem.

Would Transformers ever have gotten off the ground if G1 was titled "The Witwickys and their Robot Friends"? Probably not. Kids liked Transformer characters and bought their toys because the robots were given personalities and actual plots. As it should be. The story is about the robots, not how we deal with the robots.

15. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    Sari was fine when she stayed out of the way and after he true nature awoke. Otherwise she was a worthless, liable technorganic meatbag.

16. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't hate all humans. I hate humans that aren't good characters and are used badly.

Just like with the Transformers themselves.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  17. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    One of the main appeals of the Transformers brand is "robots in disguise". I you leave out humans entirely, what point is there for the disguise? You could as well leave out the transformation part and just make it "Robots At War".

18. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    I know that people love the robot characters because of thier personaltys all I'm saying is humans should be givien a chance every now and then and if you think about it we're humans too.would'nt that be like going against our nature if we hate ourselves? And to quote a smart phrase from a devientart artist named MachSabere "It's a children's show. Transformers has ALWAYS had children involved. (And before you invoke Beast Wars' name, there was the protohumans running around, and I remember a distinct episode where Megatron's plans was foiled by the child Neanderthals.) Getting pissed off because a Transformers cartoon show has children is like getting pissed off because that Coca-Cola comes in a can. Yes, it doesn't have to come in a can… But it does." You don't have to agree with me but I'm willing to give humans a chance even If I to be alone to do it!

19. kaijuguy19

News Credits:

20. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    Don't let her friends and fans hear that!!!:mad