What's with the foreign market push?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by matrixprime, Mar 12, 2012.

1. matrixprime

matrixprime AJ's Toy Chest Owner

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Question. Given that there are now more exclusives coming to the Asia market as well as the Micron Arms versions of TF Prime toys and not to mention this Transformers RPG over in Asia what do you think is driving this? Could sales be slumping in the foreign market? I'm just curious why you would only give certain things to certain regions. I understand that some products might not sell extremely well but it just seems like a missed opportunity to appeal to the fandom in all nations.

Here is the scans for the cool TF Prime RPG game in Japan from Seibertron. May I want this game for sure.

Transformers Evolution - Asian Market Online Game

2. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I dunno, I hope Hasbro isn't adopting Mattel's business practice of being afraid of money.

3. Crazy Ramjetty

Crazy Ramjetty marvel's got it good

maybe because the botcon toys are american exclusives and hasbro's returning the favour by making japanese exclusives

4. matrixprime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But aren't the Asian exclusives mass market release over in there. That's not the same as Botcon exclusives by a long shot. Also how does that explain the game?

5. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

I believe the problem is your major retailers. At least in Singapore, the consumers suck up everything.

When Power Rangers Operation Overdrive was still on the shelves, one Power Rangers figure costs SGD $24.90... While I think somebody made a mistake in price tagging, they never bothered to change it until Power Rangers RPM where the figure pricing became $16.90. So yeah... they pretty do not care about the consumers.

Somebody told me that our retailers are extremely small compared to Target, Walmart, etc. Therefore, our retailers do not have a say in the case assortments, colors, price, etc. Our retailers only have the power to decide whether they want to take in the toys or not.

I guess these are why it is easier to sell toys here?

6. matrixprime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That makes more sense. I guess from a business stand point though why would you go through the trouble, in the toys case, of making new molds and unique toolings and then shelve them in favor of repaints? I understand repaints do generate profit because of the simple fact that the R&D is already finished but that's no different than say DOTM Soundwave.

Now maybe I'm wrong and some of these Asia market exclusives will be released over here in the 40+ strong generations line.

As far as the game goes..I'm still trying to figure that out.

7. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Hhaahahaha... Lets hope not :lol 

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    China is an emerging market of over a billion people who are beginning to consume just like people in the west, and many nations in the Asian region are right behind them. It makes sense from a business standpoint for Hasbro to devote a pretty decent amount of attention to that market, even if it seems disproportionate to us.

9. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    The Asian exclusive RPG is a no brainer. There are tons of Korean exclusive MMOs out there. They obviously are extremely popular, even though the market is flooded with so many games it boggles my mind that there is enough people to play them all.

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Because Retailers are dorks.

11. Hursticon

Hursticon Emissary of OZformers.

News Credits:
    You've got it in one dude. :thumbs2: 

It's a simple fact that the Asian economies are firing on all 8 cylinders at the moment and the world's financial focus is moving away from Europe and North America; The world's economy will very soon be headed by Asia and it indeed only makes sense that Hasbro and TakTom should start investing more heavily in the region that is very much likely to out-size, out-pace & out-compete traditional markets. :) 

12. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Not Japan. That's Chinese. Just a fyi.

As for foreign market exclusives, some people seem to think this is something new, but maybe they're just becoming aware of it now thanks to the internet.

This has been going on nearly since Transformers' earliest days. There were entire lines of Transformers toys released only in Japan, back during G1 in the 1980s. Starting in 1987 and continuing through the end of G1, Japan was getting entire lines of exclusives every year. When the US was getting more Pretenders and Micromasters in 1989, Japan was getting the awesome Victory line with Star Saber, Deathsaurus, etc. In 1990, when we were getting nothing but crappy Action Masters, Japan was getting the Zone line.

Also towards the end of G1 and then during G2 in the early 1990s, Europe got exclusive lines that weren't seen in the US.

So this foreign market exclusive stuff is pretty much just business as usual. The only real difference is that US fans are now made aware of the toys they are missing. *shrug*

13. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    Hasbro have always been selective about what they release in their respective markets. It's just that US fans have never really been on the shit end of the deal. Apart from the tail end of G1, with the euro exclusives (which in many repects made up for the sheer amount of G1 we didn't recieve over here) the US has recieved every Hasbro product for the past 20 years. Like others have said, the asian market is growing, and the retailers aren't as powerful as they are in the US.

Welcome to the 'fun' of being part of the international Transformers community. Get used to importing, it really isn't that bad after a few years.

14. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Maybe the Asian retailers are being rewarded for not being dicks and repeatedly backing out on buying toy waves/lines. :) 

15. power prime

power prime AutoBot Commander

Ebay:
    very much yes
    this to

you know if retailers would put out i would give them my money but i cant do that if there is it any toys to fuckin buy.

16. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    HEY! :mad 

Not all of us are out to make a buck at the expense of the customer.

17. Sharpfinger

Sharpfinger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hope Hasbro Brasil looks that and begins to at least *sell* the toys here.
    I guess we never got an exclusive here.

18. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

The big retailer's choices are governed by trends and forecasts based on retail consumer spending and sentiment figures.

They're not meddling bastards, they'd be happy to take your money if they thought it was sustainable under the current state of the economy.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012