What's with the Arcee Hate?

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Autovolt 127, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Answering to a post from two pages earlier, but it's better than what we've got now.

Arcee was developed enough throughout the season [if she's more developed, we can literally rename the show to "Transformers: Arcee's Adventures].

You're also working on a 8 or 80 logic here, I said put her as secondary character, not put her in the background.

As I said, "Stronger, Faster" is a good example of what I'm saying.

Let's say the Autobot team is The Avengers, all members of the team can be developed, but if all issues start being focused on Iron Man's blight, they obviously need to kick him back to supporting character and return the focus to Captain America [or someone else, or focus on the team as a whole].

Iron Man remains a valuable member with interactions and some parts of the show focused on him, but without taking the spotlight of the entire team, after all, this is "The Avengers" not "Iron Man and his buddies".

The exact same logic can be applied to Transformers.

Again, 8 or 80 level, all I'm saying is: Arcee is not the protagonist of this show, she's getting far too much spotlight.

[QUOTE
    They could have done better with Bumblebee and Prime throughout the season and not lost much, if any, of Arcee's time.[/QUOTE

Better? Yes. Good? No.

Let me just write an essay about character focus on this season:

Masters & Students - Focused on Bumblebee.
    Scrapheap - Everyone got their share.
    Con Job - Bulkhead [and Wheeljack].
    Convoy - The kids.
    Deus Ex Machina - Bulkhead.
    Speed Metal - Arcee.
    Predatory - Arcee.
    Sick Mind - Bumblebee
    Out of His Head - Bumblebee
    Shadowzone - The Kids.
    Operation Breakdown - Bulkhead.
    Crisscross - Arcee.
    Metal Attraction - Arcee and Bulkhead.
    Rock Bottom - Bulkhead.
    Partners - Arcee.
    T.M.I - Bulkhead.
    Stronger, Faster - Ratchet.
    One Shall Fall - Optimus. Finally.
    One Shall Rise 1/2/3 - Still on Optimus.

Five Arcee Episodes, Six Bulkhead episodes, Bumblebee had three, Optimus [and he's supposed to be the main character] barely had four [all four had also a titanic amount of storytelling, while the Arcee and Bulkhead ones had no such troublesome plots]

Ratchet had one episode to get his spotlight.

The show should be focused on the whole team most of the time, with character arcs visible but without devoting your entire season to two characters while leaving the rest to rust.

To put it into perspective, taking out the season finale ["One Shall..."] and the season starter [Darkness Rising], we got seventeen episodes, eleven of which were devoted to Bulkhead and Arcee.

I think that might be a little bit off the balance, don't you think? Characters should get a fairly equal amount of episodes focused on themselves.

Simple idea to fix all: Make the season more like One Shall... and Darkness Rising, both are able to show everyone on the 'Bots equally, throw some episodes of focus on one character, but don't build the entire reason around these characters.

As I said, they both have a unneeded amount of screen-time to themselves, but Arcee is worse for some reason

They won't get anywhere if Arcee and Bulkhead keep blocking the entire spotlight of the bloody show.

This show actually has this problems very often, even with the 'Cons [anyone not named Starscream or Megatron will get thrown in the background until they are needed], and the humans [Jack is the only human on Earth].

2. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus See ya!

News Credits:
    Prime Arcee feels like she was modeled after Mystique from Marvel.

3. Sideways77

Sideways77 #1 flareup simp

News Credits:
    That was... random. :lol 

But what were you expecting? Power Girl Arcee? (Shut up, DeviantArt. :lol )

4. Snaptrap

Snaptrap Field Commander

Using Overlord Balder's summaries, and adding Darkness Rising to Team Prime, the breakdown seems pretty fair to me.

6 Team Prime
    5.5 Bulkhead
    4.5 Arcee
    4 Optimus Prime
    3 Bumblebee
    2 Human Allies
    1 Ratchet
    --------
    26 Total

Ratchet drew the short stick, but there isn't a huge difference between Bulkhead at the top and Bumblbee, especially when you consider that characters can have an impact in the story, and some good lines, even in a support role, which seems to be Rathcet's niche. When you add the fact that Bumblbee can't talk, I'm quite comfortable with that arrangement. It just kind of sucks that Optimus Prime got all of his at the very end of series 1. He's also going to be the star of the first three episodes of series 2, since it's the Orion Pax three parter. That'll put him on top, at least for a little while, and assuming it doesn't end up being a "shared" story.

5. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Threads done.
    And I will remind people that we do not allow Spam to be posted, except in the Fuzzy World (Supporters perk) and that you should keep discussions on topic

1. No Insults, Trolling, Flaming, Name Calling, Harassing, Etc.
    We will not tolerate insults, excessive profanity or throwing a topic off course. Use of racial or bigoted terms is not accepted. Keep topics/posts where they belong.

12. No Spam
    We do not allow spamming in our general forums. Spam is relegated to the Fuzzy World Forum. The Fuzzy World is a perk for TFW2005 Supporters.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/rules.php

Failure to follow these or any of the rules that you agreed to when you signed up here will result in Warning/Infractions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.