What's with all the hate?

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by AxionPrime, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AxionPrime

AxionPrime Well-Known Member

This is my first time doing this, so I don't know If I'm doing it right.

I just want to know what's with all the Prime hate? If you don't know what I mean, I mean how people are just making it seem like this is the worst piece of Transformers media ever made, and it's only getting worse.

I'm talking about how people mock and tear apart every single episode and then come back the next week to do it again.

Now, I'm not saying everything said about this show needs to be a shining review of praise and perfection, but come on! It's not the worst show ever made. And, it's not ruining anything Transformers.

Now, I'm not going to give my personal opinion because it'll also be torn apart, but I just wish people would be more respectful when talking about the show.

I understand some of you may not prefer some of the things they do or some of the things that happen plot-wise, but a bad review doesn't have to be a disrespectful one.

2. PcPrime23

PcPrime23 501st Legion Trooper

News Credits:
    Season 2 just had a little of a bad start. But I think season 2 will redeem itself with the new episodes. Also some of the haters, not all, are just trolls.

3. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Some people just flat out don't like it. Others have opinions based on their subjective views on how the series should be. Some people love the show. This all comes with the territory, and all parties are entitled to their views.

In short, haters gonna' hate and lovers gonna' love.

4. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I haven't seen a lot of hate; most of what I see around here is positive.

5. WidowMaker91

WidowMaker91 Well-Known Member

Next series most of these people will prasie Prime and forget they hated it mark my words

6. Grimlock22

Grimlock22 This is noise

Prime is not a bad show escilay when compared to RID

7. vatarian

vatarian Archentrope, Black Needle, Suzerain of Metabolisms

Ask Split Lip.

8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Much of the voiced hate towards the show is for a whole spectrum of reasons, but most of it has to do with how poorly the writing is being handled. Namely, how the script ends up bringing up some great ideas and underlying plot points only to absolutely ditch them later, and then do some other things that are hyped up to be good only to ditch those things later. I.E. Breakdown was essentially the most interesting character in the show during his time, with an implied bad blood relationship with Bulkhead and a major chip on his shoulder after loosing an eye to MECH, and it looked like they were going to go far with it. Instead, they let Airachnid kill him easily simply to demonstrate her obvious insanity and totally abandon anything Breakdown had going in the story, and then later they completely write out the Arcee/Airachnid rivalry dynamic by simply using the latter as a delivery person to give Megatron the Insecticon army before disposing of her with some kind of stasis (which isn't technically death but seems a whole lot like a Soap Opera death where they can just randomly bring her back whenever they want to).

Also, it may be in that the writers kind of didn't follow through in their original description of the show; which in their words was "going to explain what it means to be a Prime". So far, all the show has done in that regard is make being a Prime have "boring personality" and "be the one guy who gives all the orders simply because".

RID had Skybyte, Scourge, and Burning Justice Optimus Prime. It's not a worse series, it's just highly underrated, plus it's the reason Transformers went back to vehicle modes after the Best wars/Machines cartoons.

9. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Prime isn't a bad show, but it's not the best either.

One, it needs to start taking chances with the Autobots. Like when Prime lost his memory, he shouldn't had got it back. He should of have had spent the season having to build relations with bots he didn't know, but they knew him. Having to display the skills what it took to become a Prime once more during the season.

That would of been a great way to get the season going. But instead it was "Insert here for memory fix".

Like with the last episode, instead of killing off Hardshell, perhaps two Autobots should of died. Wouldn't had been a shocking moment that because of Miko's urge for revenge that SHE killed Wheeljack, because Hardshell toss him in the path, taking the hit instead?

Then had her return to the base, compeletly shocked over her actions, only to learn Ratchet could not save Bulkhead. Had that went on, the series would of been on a complete different level. Then the Autobots would be short on troops and Miko learns that sometime revenge can be costly.

Now, both Autobots are still around and Miko has in her mind "Bad things happens when I'm not around them." So now she has an excuse to rush into battle and perhaps getting hershelf or others killed. All because she does not want to leave their side, making her a target for the Decepticons now.

10. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

This again. How to make this as short as possible. Or maybe I'll do a long one and save it so I have a generic post to use whenever this topic comes up. Yeah, I'll do that.

Transformers Prime started out as a good show however in season two the quality of the show massively degraded.

The characters feel bland and lifeless. They never seem to joke around, have fun, talk or do anything other than act like soldiers. Some characters have been outright ruined. For example, near the end of season one, Arcee finally realized she needed to stop acting so recklessly and going after people for vengeance. She even told Bumblebee not to overreact to Raff being injured. Yet in season two she's doing it all over again without even having her regret it and only stopped when Airachnid accidentally got locked in Stasis. This makes her a horrible hypocrite who doesn't learn even after she says she has.

Plot lines have terrible conclusions in season two. Orion Pax was resolved without any character development or consequences, they got rid of Project Chimera in one single episode. You could put Arcee's quest for revenge into that category.

And then there's the infamous death of Breakdown. Despite being Bulkhead's rival, Breakdown's death had nothing to do with him and Bulkhead seemed to instantly forget Breakdown ever existed. And then there's the question of why the writers put in his dept to Starscream when they never have him repay it or even have Starscream try to get him to.

Edit: Also there's the so called "sense of threat". having the protagonists be at a disadvantage is good for a strong sense of threat however Prime should be used as an example of how not to do this. The protagonist having nothing means they have nowhere to fall. There's a certainty that they will win because if they lose anything, they won't have a chance at winning. Unless a replacement conveniently appears just in time to replace it *cough coughSmokescreencough cough*.
    So basically, this show is filled with boring characters and plots that go nowhere.

11. Avengers

Avengers Banned

I love the Prime cartoon series. due to it being serious and violent.

12. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    First off did you entirely forgotten the interactions the bot have with the kids in the show? Like having them help them do thier school project in Masters,and Students? Or Miko and Bulkhead watching monster truck rallys,Or Raf and Bee playing video games,or even Jack and Arcee going for a few drives? That actaully shows that they do indeed do things that don't have to do with the war. Just because there's not a lot of fun time for them on the show doens't mean there' a lack of it. Besides before the kids came into their lives they probably didn't have time for that often or if they did it wasn't shown yet.

And I know I'm going to beat a dead horse when it comes to Arcee but still I'm going to mention this. First off Arcee knows now the cost of revenge but that doesn't mean she's completey broken some of her habits yet. That happens to people too in real life believe it or not. She didn't want Bee to fall into the habit because she herself is still strugling with it. As for the episode Armada let me say that Arcee could've finished off Airachnid when she had the chance but decided not to and brought her to base instead. That means that she's over the need to let her revenge urges. She's slowly coming out of it. Sometimes things like that take time to move on from and to expect a character to get over the insent they know this isn't realisitc not to mention not relatible. Sometimes you fall down but if you get back up or not is the question.

Optimus started to feel guilty about helping Megatron as Orion Pax even though it wasn't his fault to begin with which is driven him to be mroe ruteless as a result. How do we know that Silasdown isn't the next Project Chimera? That actually makes sense if you think about how he's made up of Breakdown's parts. As for Airachnid well a character like that can't be taken out of commison for good. She's obvisouly not dead so why are people saying she's out for the count when it's clear that she can still get out of it?

Bulkhead only mentioned Breakdown's involvement with MECH in the events of Operation Breakdown. He like the other Autobots don't know what happened to him in the end.They're just assuming for now that he's off somewhere doing Megatron's doing. And what's to say that Breakdown won't still work for Starscream? MAybe Starscream somehow got a sample of Breakdown's DNA and cloned him? I know that would be considered cheap but wasn't Breakdown's death considered cheap from the begining?

Project Iacon would like to have a word with you on that. The relics could have a role to play in Project Iacon and it may play a key role in revivieng Cybertron. As for the characters being boring well it's subjective because I find them not boring at all.

13. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

I haven't seen any of that. I have seen some bad reviews that I think are very respectful and just people stating their opinions. I have not seen anyone just complaining every episode and saying this is the worst series ever.

I'm actually one of the ones who does give the show bad reviews most of the time but there are also episodes I like and I've never called it the worst series ever, that title is held by Transformers Armada. I think most people are actually liking Prime over all but the opinions do very from episode to episode. I have noticed an increase in the bad reviews for season 2 which I find odd because I think season 2 is better than the first season which I found really boring and repetitive. The last 5 episodes I can agree with the hate though because they're not as good as I was expecting from them but they can't all be perfect.

14. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Here's somethin for you: A guy who really likes Prime talking honestly about why people dislike it. (Hint: This means I'm honest/not fishing for reasons to dislike it.)

Prime is, by a few accounts, pretty ambitious in what it attempts. More violence, more emotion, more epic plotlines than previous series. But it falls flat in what it attempts to do. The first symptom of this is the writing. Whereas Prime's writers want an epic storyline, the actual turnout is very episodic. Plots like Breakdown and Bulkhead, which while not especially deep or meaningful was heavily shown in all the episodes they're together in, are cut short to make way for new episodes. The plots that do manage to stretch multiple episodes do not leave a lasting impression, like Orion Pax.

That's what I got for now.

15. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Sort of this. They set out to make a show in a similar vein to Justice League and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, but it didn't work out that way.
    This probably worked out better for them, considering poor EMH is getting replaced and continued as an episodic show, which seems to be more favoured by the kids.

The fact that imho Starscream and Knockout are the only character with personality's that I care about is a factor too. The others are just extremely boring. I don't hate it, I don't love it though.

16. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Well it's due to the fact that season 2's leaving a lot of people put down because of the hype and expectations it brought. Some of the complaints are understandable and justified like the Orion Paz arc but I do agree that some of these reviwers can get too crazy when it comes to vocing dissapointment. And most of the complaints are also subjective at best.

The worst part is when the extended description for Hurt came on two weeks ago before the episode premered when it said about Bulkhead reeling in from the toxic effects many people started to bash it even though it didn't even air yet to confirm this. That's perhaps the worst I've seen fans react to this.

At times you're right about the reviews tending to go to the levels of disrespectful. Like it's always "This show's a total dud" "This show's bad and you should feel bad" Animated,Rescue Bots and MTMTE supieoir Prime inferior" "The characters are boring and dull as clod and everyone who thinks so otherwise is a simpelton with poor taste and just as boring!" "This show has bad writing all around and the idiots who think it's great is a complete dunce." The show didn't give me what I want thus it's an epic fail WAAAAAAA!!!!!!" etc. I know this is egaggerating it but still.

Sometimes some can go as far as to bash the fans of the show for being immature babys for not putting up with the rants. That's being really unfair and uncalled for because that's like saying that all G1 fans are Geewunners when it's really only a group of them are. I'm not saying that Prime fans aren't any different because some oft hem can get just as vicous but the thing is how can they expect the fans to put up with the rants if they don't make it more easier for them to do so?

In short while it's all about opinions in the end we really should make an effort to try not let out opinions get the better of us and try to pass them off as facts. That sort of thing gives any fandom a bad name. Not to mention it makes some Prime fans feel like morans for liking the show and feeling unwelcome to the TF fandom like how the movie fans went through years ago. And another thing about the expectations. We're lead to believe that this would be the greatest show ever but wasn't that the same thing that Hasbro did years ago with some of the past brands? I mean I've figured after ROTF people would be more cautous with how much they take a comapny like Hasbro's word for it. I've learned from ROTf that to not let expectations get the better of you so while the episodes of Prime aren't s epic or well done as I wanted too I didn't expect too mich out of it or gotten too hyped up so I was able to move on easier from it. I'm not saying everyone needs to do this but it does help coping with dissapointments better.

And at this rate I'm suprised that the show still has a fanbase after many people rage quited it a long time ago...

17. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Some people don't like the designs. But that happens every series because it's almost impossible to find an aesthetic that can please the taste of every last fan.

The promises made when they were promoting the series early on were just too big to fulfill. Transformers Prime is a good show, but it's not the super fantastic greatest Transformers series ever made that they seemed to be pushing.

Some people just really don't like the kids. Which means I get to be an evil person by actually liking Miko.

The writing is really hit or miss so the show doesn't really have a very consistent tone. Sometimes it feels like it's going to be a rather serious show and other times it just falls back on old standard cartoon tropes to fill out an episode.

And as someone else pointed out it seems we never get the big pay off for things. You get invested in some part of the story only for the writers to decide they are tired of that lets just end that subplot.

Vehicons getting scrapped left and right just doesn't give the same feeling of the Autobots are in real trouble as the series where the Autobots had to deal with Decepticon characters. Sort of feels like too much cannon fodder some weeks and not enough of the big bad that could make it a bad day for the Autobots.

18. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    This is definitely something too. It also bothers me that anywhere between 1-100 Vehicons can be killed an episode, but Starscream and Hardshell are beyond evil for killing and nearly killing ONE Autobot each.
    Also, they glaze over things that should be huge plot-points. In the episode where the Autobots legitimately planned to use the Spark Extractor thing (I think Flying Minds?) to actually genocide EVERY Decepticon and it was treated as a normal thing. That is a huge Moral Event Horizon and in good writing, this sort of sinister plot from the heroes would have been discussed or at least mentioned. Imagine if the Decepticons planned something like this, they would immediately be crucified as beyond redemption but with the Autobots its like "yeah, whatevs, lets shoot some more Vehicons". This is something I consider as really, really bad writing. One of the best episodes of BSG had a similar plot from the humans and it ended with the most heroic character having to sabotage the plan to stop them crossing this Moral Event Horizon.

19. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    I think Optimus was pretty damn wracked about it. He was going to kill everyone, including himself, to stop the war.

20. ChromeBlade

ChromeBlade Well-Known Member

It's a great show. Could it be better? Sure. Maybe if they had Mike and Bryan of 'Avatar; The Last Airbender' fame working on it or people of their caliber.

The characterizations could be MUCH better (explore their personalities a bit and not just ONE facet) and the story lines need to be more even. They need to address certain plot points they've neglected since the first season. Hopefully we will see some of them addressed this season.

So yes, it's agood show, but the writing needs tweaking. But there are people who nit-pick and go overboard.

I strongly disagree with this. There is only so much time you can devote on a single plot-point. Keeping Prime amnesiac might have been interesting, but it would've interfered with the rest of the storyline. Too much focus would have been kept solely on him and the other characters need attention and development, too. That would have been a lot harder with an amnesiac Prime.

Remember; despite the mature themes, this is still a kids show. You do not kill off multiple named characters without running the risk of driving off a significant chunk of the fanbase. While you and some others would think it's awesome in theory, in practice it's a whole other matter. Or maybe you should be aware of what happened when they killed off Optimus Prime in the 1986 movie.Peter Cullen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bottom line; killing off a character-any character in any medium-is risky. And killing off BOTH Bulkhead and Wheeljack would have been very bad for the show/franchise.

Bulkhead was gravely injured and will never be the same. Both Miko and Wheeljack (remember, HE was the one who made the choice to bring her along on the revenge trip and he should've known better) got their revenge and Miko didn't feel any better. It didn't help Bulkhead in the end and she realized that. It was as extreme as it needed to be in this instance. Killing off TWO Autobots would have been... well, overkill.

Where did you get the idea that Miko would be motivated to rush into battle again after seeing one of her best friends and guardian almost die, suffer irreparable damage and is now comatosed?

If anything, I foresee her wanting to stay close to Bulkhead and NOT WANT to leave HIS side. Which means she WON'T rush off into battle again.

Reality check; Miko has been a target since she first met the Autobots. The danger is certainly heightened, yes. But her being a target has always been a constant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.