Whats with all the hate on modern transformers? (not including 3rd party or Takara)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by T Diesel, Aug 24, 2012.

1. T Diesel

T Diesel Well-Known Member

Seriously why is treating both PRID and the Generations line like the Armada toyline? I mean come on this makes no freaking sense, sure the paint apps and engineering are not as great as they used to be but at least they have articulation and don't have obtrusive gimmicks built around the figure.

Seriously why are you guys so harsh on transformers these days?

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    combined with higher prices, you have your answer.

3. AnAutobot1985

AnAutobot1985 Well-Known Member

We're collectors. It's a competitive market. Not all of us will just buy and praise whatever they throw at us. There would be no room for improvement if we were not critical at times.

My biggest issue nowadays is QC and cheap thin plastic.

4. T Diesel

at least they are not as bad as any of the toys that showed up on Plastic Addict

5. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I'd say some are a fair bit worse, as far as build quality goes. Hell, have you seen Airachnid?

As for them not having obtrusive gimmicks, are you forgetting about the horrible voyager weapons we've been getting that don't actually resemble weapons if you're not actively pulling a switch on them? the same weapons that force every voyager to have clear parts on their arms? or the deluxe bumblebee who's built completely around a fairly lame automorph gimmick that doesn't even end up transforming him right unless you pull the head up early?

7. T Diesel

I knew I was going to get flamed for this

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    You asked "what's with all the hate on modern transformers?" and you're being told why people hate the modern transformers. You're not getting flamed by anyone in this topic.

I apologize if you think I'm flaming you, but I'm not. I'm just disagreeing with you.

9. T Diesel

I just don't think they are as bad as alot of people make them out to be

10. AnAutobot1985

And that is your opinion. We can respect that. However, it does not stop me from respectfully disagreeing with you.

Glad you enjoy them anyway. :thumbs2: 

11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    That's cool. People have different opinions.

Personally, I thought Prime Knockout looked like garbage. I was sure of it. I read reviews, saw photos, and made up my mind that the thing was shit. Then I got Breakdown, and decided I'd get a Knockout to display with him, since they're always together in the show.

Knockout ended up impressing the hell out of me, and he's easily my favorite Prime decepticon toy.

However, I still think his thin plastic sucks, and while I can't complain about the amount of paint on him as there's tons of it, I do complain about some color choices, like making his face silver instead of white, and the lack of yellow.

12. Tracer

Tracer _

News Credits:
    ...and cheaper plastics with smaller sizes.

13. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    Not even Armada was made from some inferior "green" plastic apparently made from mixing petroleum with used toilet paper. You could probably kill someone by throwing Armada Hot Shot at them. The Prime & FoC toys would just crumble*

*hyperbole alert.

14. TheGame2K5

TheGame2K5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with the OP, the Prime line has had some very clever engineering, but like all lines has its highs and lows. Yes they have less plastic, ie non solid legs, etc, but I wouldnt call it "cheaper" plastic. If the price had stayed the same I dont think there would be 1/2 the complaning about them. I think people forget how much an influence the movies had on the pricing. Id wager they sell a couple more movie figures than they do ones based off their tv shows, and can afford to sell them cheaper per unit. Everyone is free to their own opinion but some people seem to be a bit extreme in their dislike of the current figures.

15. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I have a new appreciation for Armada lately. The sculpting on the larger ones was pretty good and I don't remember limbs casually popping off.

16. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    The size complaint is complicated. Do the new deluxe toys have less mass than the average deluxe from the past decade or so? yes. Are they actually smaller than the average deluxe from the past decade or so? ... no.

Despite the reduction in materials, the modern deluxes are still average height when compared to deluxes from the previous lines. We just got spoiled with taller-than-normal figures in Animated, and then the bigger guys from Universe and Generations.

[​IMG]

Less mass, but roughly the same height. Hell, Shockwave and Knockout are taller than the classics seeker mold - a mold which was used as reference in countless reviews since 2006 as a gauge for the "average deluxe height".

17. dwong1207

dwong1207 Well-Known Member

FE Prime is what should have been released. PRiD should have been dropped altogether. If you call Airachnid's hands "clever engineering", then it's designer needs to be fired. T Diesel, your own observations made everyone's point. Will I still buy some of them? Yes, but I'm going to be very picky. I'm skipping FOC Brut. The FP add-ons are much better. The 3ps are scratching everybody's itch while Has/Tak...or at least Hasbro is spitting on TF Fans.

18. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    If FOC Bruticus is "spitting on fans", well... I say bring on the spit. I think they're cool.

19. AnAutobot1985

I too think its ok. I still will be getting a G2 one. But realistically its nothing more than a huge power core combiner. Any more than the 60 I'd probably pass.

20. TheGame2K5

TheGame2K5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is why the argument gets old, everyone always points at Airachnid for how much PRID sucks. The worst figure of the line does not represent the entire line. Universe Powerglide looks like a giant turd so that must mean the whole line sucks right?