whats up with the alternators line?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by d-vizzle, Jun 5, 2008.

1. d-vizzle

d-vizzle Active Member

Why havent they released anymore or at least re-release, when they came about i was too young for a job/didnt have money, I wanted to get my hands on rumble and ravage when they came out but wasn't fast enough, also I don't know if its like this anywhere else but it seems like here in Chicago & Chicagoland area they are only at Wal-Mart.

2. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    The line was stopped and cancelled around or after the Movie line because they were too expensive to make among other reasons.

3. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They still come out in the UK :D 

4. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    the line is currently dead.

5. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    It became too expensive and too time consuming gaining permission from automotive companies to use their designs.

6. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And should stay dead in my opinion. I enjoyed Alternators but having to deal with constant repaints and the similar designs got old fast. How many of them have car door wings and windshields hanging of their backs.
    I would much rather see the resources go into detailed deluxe molds like concept bumblebee or aveo swerve.

7. d-vizzle

d-vizzle Active Member

they should like re-release them, I,ve been dying to get my hands on Grimlock or Wheeljack, their Alt modes are so sexy. Or they can try to put the technology into the movie lines.

8. Wingspanky

Wingspanky Well-Known Member

For me they were too TOO hard to find. I wanted that Alt Jazz so bad and NEVER saw him. Prowl, Wheeljack and Windcharger were all just myths in my mind. They were stories one told there children to be good. I was not going to pay the aftermarket price on newly recently figures.
    On the hand, I wish they had expanded the line a bit though. A tank, a jet, heck a freekin garbage truck any thing else.

9. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah why can't they look more like the G1 toys... oh wait :redface2: 

They won't as there wasn't enough demand and some stores stopped carrying them towards the end of the line. Plus with the licensing costs, it forced Hasbro to put more repaints/redecos out to help off set the licensing costs. While Alternators was a fun line, Im glad it's finished.

10. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    I still need/want Alt Mirage.

11. Wingspanky

Wingspanky Well-Known Member

That was again a myth something to keep you dreaming of a peaceful world.

12. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Plus Hasbro would have to update the molds to reflect any running changes the automakers made to the actual vehicles. That could get pretty costly for a toyline that wasn't real popular.

13. d-vizzle

d-vizzle Active Member

oh well, a man can only dream now. :( 

14. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Especially since nobody was buying them except the small collectors market, on the rare occasion that they could find the new ones.

15. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    The line isn't officially dead or cancelled - it's on indefinite hiatus. Hasbro themselves have said at the past two BotCon's that they hope to resurrect it when/if warranted, likely as one-shot store or convention exclusives. The big question is IF they'll ever actually come through on those comments, and if so, whether or not there be any new molds or mold modifications vs. just some more straight repaints (ie: Rumble into Frenzy, Ravage into Steeljaw, etc).

16. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think you missed my point
    Here are the '84 & '85 autobots that inspired most of the alternators
    [​IMG]

As seen here 5 of the autobots have the car wings that im talking about. Skids, the fairlady z brothers, and Jazz who is pretty much a variation of the fairlady transformation

Now when I look at just my Autobot alternators shelf there are 18 characters that have the doors attached to the shoulders or backs. Having a full interior was just too limiting to the alternator line. Its not that the alternator toys dont look g1 to me its that alot of them looked like G1 Prowl

That said I still think it was a fun line and they are some of my favorite bots. I would just like to see hasbro focus those resources on the main line and leave the homages to universe. Let Alternators rest in piece rather then squeeze more pointless repaints of cars that arent even the current models anymore

17. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Alternators is dead, no sense crying about it. It's over, get over it.

18. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't really get why people complain about repaints. I didn't really like a lot of the minor-character repaints and, guess what, I just didn't buy them!

Also, the distribution thing is funny. I live in the UK where we had even worse distribution and I still got all the characters I wanted. Yes, I went online but when you think about it the cost you pay on postage is probably offset by your driving costs when visiting every toy shop in the area anyway, at least in part.

Also, because I didn't buy the repaints I had a bit more cash to build up the collection I did want, even if sometimes the costs were a little over shop prices. But then I'd rather have a smaller, QUALITY collection over just going for QUANTITY.

Back to the comments about doors hanging off - they gotta go somewhere! Hound didn't have doors as a G1 jeep - now he does. Mirage didn't have doors in G1 - now he does. Not rocket science. Also, I take it you're including the repaints like Rocochet? Who isn't even on that picture. Swerve and Camshaft again had doors but see my first post about not buying repaints.

Whenever Alts are mentioned these days I see a lot of bitching. It was still the best TF line FOR ADULTS that we've had and I'd take it over any other line in a heartbeat. I look forward to it's return at some point to finish off the G1 car line that formed it's foundation.

Sorry for ranting but the Alt/BT line needs some goddamn appreciation around here!
    Steve.

19. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

Amen brother!
    I loved the Alt line, Alt Silverstreak was what got me back into TF's as an adult, and I weep for the line's passing. I can understand that if a line isn't profitable or becomes too tricky to licence, it's going to dissapear, but I still regret that it had to end.

C'mon Hasbro...just one more new mold? Just one? Pleeeeeasee?

20. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I loved Alternators and really wish they'd return. Incredible line of toys. They're the best thing to have happened to me as a collector - detailed, large-scale versions of my favorite toys.