What's up wit Hasbro's amazon.com Unicron's ugly grey torso.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Avengers, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Avengers

Avengers Banned

The Grey torso,Grey on the waist,Grey on the forearms really ruins this toy.
    The toy needed more Orange blending in colors. Not clashing non-blending in Grey colors.

When Hasbro colors these awful looking stores & site TF exclusives. Does the whole design team think they look beautiful. Others fans have joked elsewhere that perhaps it was bring your kid to work day & The kids made some toy color choices that day.

Clearly the Takara 2010 Unicron has the better color scheme. Compared to the Hasbro Amazon.com Unicron toy.

I am currently debatting which Hasbro Unicron toy is colored better. The Armada Unicron or the Hasbro Amazon.com Unicron toy.

I honestly debatted & felt like swapping parts between my display piece Armada Unicron & Hasbro Amazon.com Unicron. To make amazon unicron look better by taking all the orange torso & waist parts from Armada Unicron. I thought about doing this parts sawps a few times. I then quickly came to my senses & didn't do it.

I kinda wish Takara's 2010 Unicron wasn't selling for over $199 on ebay. If It was selling for under $119. I would have bought this a long time ago. I should have jumped on & bought the BBTS.com $119 Pre-order & listing price of Takara 2010 Unicron years ago.

2. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't see an issue with it, I like all 3 versions of him.

1. Takara
    2. amazon
    3. Armada
    4. Energon

In that order but, I don't see an issue with the Amazon colors.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    To some people.

Hasbro Unicron's deco in both mode matches the character pretty closely, aside from the silver body and biceps, along with overall darker colors. These are very legitimate complaints, but they don't bother me much at all. I've actually grown to like the darker colors, and the color breakup the silver parts give him.

What completely ruins the Takara version for me is that it totally fails to resemble the character in planet mode, with the north and south poles being darker than the rest of the planet when they're supposed to be the lightest colored part, the mouth area not being completely orange, and the complete lack of the orange stripe around the equator. The Hasbro version gets all of that right.

They both get one mode pretty perfectly, but have issues in the other mode. Hasbro wins at planet, Takara wins at robot. I prefer the Hasbro version because despite this, it's robot mode isn't nearly as "off" as Takara's planet mode is.

Swapping would be a bad idea, since the oranges wouldn't match at all.

4. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's funny, cause I prefer it the other way around. I like the more metal look of Takara's planet then Hasbros, and the opposite for the bot mode..

5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

I can't tell what the OP does more; bitch about something in every single post that he makes, or completely fail to do ANY kind of research on the topic at hand. Because according to the TFwiki, the Amazon.com version happens to be somewhat based on the old comic version:
    [​IMG]

6. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I dig the amazon.com version. It was $60 shipped to my door and much, much better colors and headsculpt then the energon version. Definitely money well spent.

7. Geterman

Geterman Second Coming of Primus TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I love the Hasbro Unicrons colors, seems more animation and comic accurate. I think it is the best deco of all the Unicrons.

8. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I love the Amazon-icron. It seems like a perfect update to an honestly far too cartoony color scheme.

9. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love Amazonicron as well.

It was $60 shipped to my door AND color-wise I think it "generally" looks great. Does the OP have a couple valid concerns sure, but I still think it looks great and that, yes, like Valkysys says, it "wins" planet mode IMHO.

So is Amazonicron perfect? No, but it gets a heck of lot right, looks good in the process and was ridiculously reasonably priced. Pure and utterly complete win IMHO.

Edit: If I have any complaint it's over the age of the mold and certain things not fully pegging together anymore, but meh, that's minor.

10. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Each appears to go hand in hand with his posts and threads.

11. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    I have the Takara version, but I find the Amazon deco more spectacular.

12. Avengers

Avengers Banned

I didn't realize the Amazon Unicron was so popular amomg fans. If anyone wants to trade their 2010 Takara Unicron for my Amazon Unicron. I'd be happy to do a even trade. but we both are responsible for paying our side of the shipping fees.

13. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    I don't think Amazon Unicron's more popular as much as it's more affordable/obtainable. And, unfortunately when it comes down to it, biases do play a factor in opinion threads when one is more obtainable.

Personally, owning both, I feel that the color scheme on the Takara 2010 beats the ever loving hell out of the Amazon.

14. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Purely based on only seeing the Takara online, if money were no object I would still prefer the Amazonicron. Takara's looks great but the cartoon color scheme just doesn't completely work for me in reality. That said, if the Amazonicron didn't exist I would pine for the Takara version.

Price is not a factor in my rational. Amazonicron is a great update to the character's color scheme.

15. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Don't forget completely failing to grasp the concept of subjectivity.

16. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    Both look great IMO. If I hadn't JUST bought 2010 Unicron when the Amazon one was announced I would have probably had a hard decision deciding which one to choose.

17. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

I'm pretty sure you just asked somebody to trade you for a different version of the same toy that in value terms puts the other person at a loss of at least the lower triple digits, since Takara 2010 Unicron wasn't exactly a cheap exclusive.

True:lol 

18. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Yup, I completely agree. While the Hasbro version is pretty nice, the Takara 2010 blows it completely out of the water for me as well.

I purchased the 2010 version a couple months before the Amazon one was announced, and had to go back and forth quite a few times before I finally decided that I "needed" both. Thankfully they restocked when I had the compulsion to buy it. The Hasbro one now sits on the throne in Planet mode while 2010 holds Legends Megatron in his hand.

19. hoosierdaddy04

hoosierdaddy04 The Lord of Diecast

I'm just not a fan of all the different shades of grey and orange of the Takara version, to me it just looks kind of bland. On the flip side TJ I've seen it go the other way where the higher price of a toy makes it look better to some, now in no way shape or form am I triyng to imply that's what's going on with you and barrelks, it's just an observation. We all have our own taste and opinions and only mine is right (kidding). I've never seen one, the Takara version, in person so maybe it's just the photos.

20. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Perhaps if I had the 2010 Takara one I'd have a different opinion, but to me while the Takara is more cartoon-accurate with the bright colors, the darker metallic colors of the Hasbro/Amazon one come off as more striking. Also the planet mode is better detailed, though I'm not sure who displays their Unicron toys in that mode. :)