What's the worst read order?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by ZeroiaSD, Jul 31, 2017.

1. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

We've had plenty of discussion on good read-orders and jumping on points to hook people, but let's inverse that.

Let's say you purposefully wanted to introduce someone to the books in an order that'd make them most confused and lost, but it still has to sound plausibly legit (i.e. no 'just read things in reverse order' or completely random choices, there must be bare-bones justification).

What's the worst read order?

2. gregles

gregles quintesson

Ironically considering it was promoted as a jump in point lost light would make a pretty unforgiving starting point considering it goes straight into the functionist universe and a load of call backs to earlier stories.

If I really wanted to troll someone though I would go with heart of darkness or that chaos D-void nonsense.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

Since I don't know a single person who got hooked by any of the jumping-on points--Infiltration, All Hail Megatron, Costa ongoing #1--until the 2012 2-books reboot, I'll go ahead and say anything before 2012.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

I don't get it. What's the point? Just to dick with someone?

5. Michael Howey

Michael Howey Member

Infiltration was a great start point. Limited cast. Robots actually in disguise. A genuine sense of things building to something. It was great.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Joey Slick

Joey Slick Terrorcon

I jumped on with Infiltration #1, then went back to get #0 to be a completionist. I've got every single issue since then UNTIL recently, where I decided to pass on Revolutionaries or the whatever Hasbro books that only have 1-2 TFs in them.

And currently my interest is pretty low. I liked a handful of the Costa-era books more than some of the recent stuff.

Let's be grateful that during 33 years of TF fiction we finally got a true "golden age" with MTMTE and RID. The golden age might be over now but it was pretty damn good there for a few years.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

I'd say by publication date. Imagine reading though all of MTMtE and RID at once while leapfrogging between the two every issue, ugh.

8. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Start with the Transformers Continuum - The Definitive Chronology by Andy Schmidt. Then, for a good measure, follow through with the Hearts of Darkness.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Too true, much better than a lot of the terrible stuff we've got the last few years.

10. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I'd say the worst "plausible"-sounding order would be chronological order. You know, first Megatron Origins, then the Blurr spotlight...

• Like Like x 2
  11. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

Agree. Somewhere in-between is best.

12. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Just asking out of curiosity really, I don't intend to use this information ^^

13. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    That's what I did with the trades. Worked fine for me.

14. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

Really,? I would've thought doing that'd seriously tank the momentum and tone of the two stories.

The clusterfuffle that was Devastation, Maximum Dinobots, All Hail Megatron, and Revelation's release schedules is a dealbreaker regardless, from my perspective.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  15. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Are we strictly limited to IDW here? How about start by reading Kiss Players? (Y'know, "to get it out of the way.")

Gotta be the worst possible jumping-on point. It's cringey. It's not representative of what TF is normally about. It's not canonical to the Western TF continuities, and yet it relies heavily on having an expansive existing knowledge of them.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    Not for me it didn't.

IMO, publication order is the BEST reading order. The worst is easily chronological order, because certain things are retconned into the past that aren't planned by the originally written stories. It's like marathoning Star Wars and starting with the Prequels. If you're someone who's never seen Star Wars, and watched the prequels first, the reveals in Empire and Jedi lose all their impact.

17. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

To be clear on two things, one I don't actually disagree with you on that point, Origin/ocracy has always been borderline unreadable to me and the only thing you should read before Infiltration #0 if anything at all is the Spotlight prequels (with the exception of Thundercracker), and two Publication Date =/= publication-based reading order...
    ...yeah no.

If you're reading digitally switching between series is far more of a hassle too.

18. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    But nobody who needs a reading list is going to read individual issues. They're much more likely to pick up trades.

19. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

?
    I just remembered I gave one of my friends my Revelations paperback and he seemed into it haha. Couldn't fathom why, it's not my cup of tea either.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  20. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

I started with the Spotlights, read Stormbringer before the -ations, and then jumped to the Costa run (which I feel was not a bad move, AHM being in between). So my own order was bizarre ^^