What's the verdict on the iGear Seekers?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Rahvin, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Rahvin

Rahvin Well-Known Member

I'm pretty tempted to pick up the iGear Coneheads, but I'm feeling a little indecisive. I don't see any review threads in the review forum...what's everybody think? Are they worth it ($140 shipped each, or $400 for the set)?

2. Skywarp181

Skywarp181 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Im very glad i got them! !!!!!

3. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    I've still got an IGear Thrust that I'm selling (cheaper than $140), shoot me a PM if interested.

4. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

I've got Thrust, Thundercracker along with Dirge and Ramjet on the way. VERY glad I got them.

5. ae_productions

ae_productions G1 Fan

Overall, the iGear seekers RULE. They are insanely fun, well built, and in all honesty, I have had BETTER QC with my iGear than with my Takara or my Hasbro seekers! You can actually TRANSFORM and play with the iGear versions without any worries of stress marks or breaks (unlike the Takara/Hasbro version).

In short...
    If you want something to handle, take out of the box and play with, go with iGear.
    If you want something to keep MISB (never take out of the box), go with Hasbro/Takara.

To make it easier...

PROS are in BLUE
    CONS are in RED

Here is a breakdown that describes the differences between the iGear and the Hasbro/Takara Seeker Jets.

IGEAR VS. HASBRO / TAKARA RELEASES

IGEAR SEEKER PROS (OVER THE HASBRO/TAKARA RELEASES):

1. Swing bar has been removed. This panel does NOT line up at all in jet mode with the official releases. (This is the part the cockpit and nose section "clicks into" in fighter jet mode). Now that this bar is removed, it not only helps with the parts lining up in fighter mode, eliminating that bar prevents the head from getting stuck during transformation.

2. Wrist communicators. Very neat gimmick.

3. Improved Null rays. The Null Rays can now be held in the seeker's hand like a gun with the extended handle (this was done a few times in the G1 cartoon), or can be pegged onto the arm like the G1 toy (or how the seekers usually held this weapon on the cartoon). The barrel can also be removed which is nice.

4. Improved rear wings. The originals pop off if you look at them funny. The iGear versions have been molded so they are permanently attached to the toy. This adds a lot more playability to the toy. Is playability even a word? I'm not sure, but we all get the meaning, so I recon it is now. :) 

5. The hip Kibble has been eradicated. This was not only an eyesore, but it also got in the way taking the "playability" (There's that made up word again) down a notch.

6. Rear wing fix. This is, in my opinion the best improvement of the iGear mold over Hasbro / Takara's. 2 of the 3 Takara Thundercrackers I have owned had wings that broke off entirely. One was broken right out of the box! In addition, the only one I have that isn't broken is about to break, with major stress marks. It was only transformed two, maybe three times, and displayed on a shelf. I'd hate to see what happened if I ever "played" with it. I don't know if the metal pin was too big to connect those two parts together, or if the plastic was too brittle, but in either case, it's bad. Most of the other official releases also have major stress marks on that section. Ironically, Ghost Starscream is the only one that does not have this problem. In any case, breaking wings completely diminishes the "playability" of the toy. Igear's Seekers do NOT have this problem. At all. In fact, I actually can "play" with my iGear seekers. No stress marks anywhere. On any of them.

7. Detailed face. This one is actually preference. The iGear heads have all been painted, and I think they just look better than the Takara/Hasbro versions. In my opinion.

8. Nub removed. There is a long piece of plastic on the end of the hand (where the fist pops up) that connects into the "hip kibble" of the official releases. This nub has broken off my Hasbro Skywarp and Takara Thundercracker. (NOTE: The rest of my official seekers do not have this part broken). Igear shortened this part drastically, so it is no longer in danger of breaking off.

9. This can be an addendum of #5, but on MP-11 (the newer version of Starscream and SunStorm), there are gaping screw holes on the sides of the leg, visible in robot mode. The iGear version does NOT have this issue.

10. Unpainted metal. At first, I thought of this as a con. But recently, I noticed my Hasbro Skywarp's metal inner frame, which was painted black, has a lot of paint coming off, scratched or flaking. In all honesty, it's not really an issue with the Hasbro or the IGear versions since the metal frame is only seen during transformation (you do not see it in fighter jet nor robot modes). However, being anal about everything, the fact that my Hasbro Skywarp's metal paint is not holding up bothers me. Since iGear's is NOT painted on any of the seekers, this will NEVER be an issue. Again, this is just me being anal.

IGEAR SEEKER CONS (WHERE TAKARA/HASBRO HAVE THE EDGE OVER IGEAR):

There are negatives to the Igear seekers, too.

1. The connector part that connects the toy to the base does NOT fit in the base. I have had to sand EVERY ONE of them just to fit. This has NOT been a problem with any of my Takara/Hasbro seekers, all of which fit perfectly onto their respective stands.

2. Lack of painted detail. This does not bother me as much, cause they still look amazing. And, as one member put it, it's perfect as a canvas if you wish to customize it with Reprolabels or weathering/panel lining your seekers. I find even the Takara versions to be very...bland. Takara tried to fix this issue by tapoo printing "NO STEP" decals all over the wings. But still, they are all bland.

3. Back to that connector part covered in con #1...ALL of my iGear seekers have an orange connector part. Again, this is preference, but I do prefer the Hasbro / Takara clear (except for Ghost Starscream, which has the same orange part used by iGear).

4. Unpainted noses. This is just for the Coneheads, but all three need the noses of the jets painted black. But this can be an addendum to Con #2, I guess.

5. NO INSTRUCTIONS. Not one of my iGear jets have instructions. I guess iGear assumes we know how to transform this toy already, which was true in my case, but seriously?

6. The side parts connected to the side intakes don't line up in fighter mode. They stick out a bit. I've gotten use to it, and it's kinda a small nit pick, but still.

7. Again, this can be attributed to #2, but there is NO PAINT APPS on the rear wings. I mean, sure, all of them are painted, but the strips are not there. Yes, you can buy reprolabels for Thundercracker and Skywarp, but it is expensive, and that does not help Sunstorm or Starscream.

6. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    The coneheads are stunning. If you're a fan of seekers, then they are vital to your collection. If you're on the fence, pick up one and see. Most pictures don't do them justice, their paint jobs look incredible (well, other than not having black nosecones...). If you're familiar with the mold already, you'll like the little tweaks they did to the mold.

7. masishadow

masishadow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm kind of looking at getting em too, where are you looking at buying them? Thought I saw em on tfsource a couple days ago (not listed under any specific manufacturer) but can't find em now.

8. ae_productions

ae_productions G1 Fan

TFSource is no longer selling iGear Seekers on their website. However, they do offer them through their eBay account (same name).

RIGHT NOW, there are several iGear auctions.

This will be the BEST way for you to get these below the 140 - 150 shipped they usually go for. The coneheads RARELY are found for auction, so I'd jump on these ASAP. The first set below is a USA seller!

USA seller.

Transformers Masterpiece THRUST "Attack" PP03A Conehead - IGear MIB COMPLETE!! | eBay

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Transformers Masterpiece RAMJET "Jet" PP03J Conehead - IGear MIB COMPLETE!! | eBay

This next seller is an international seller. I got my Thrust from him. He's a good seller, but it took about 6 weeks to arrive.

Ramjet PP03J Jet Seeker by iGear Transformers Masterpiece TF G1 Action Figure | eBay

Dirge PP03E Elegy Seeker made by iGear Transformers Masterpiece TF G1 Seekers | eBay

Thrust Masterpiece Seeker PP03A Attack Transformers made by iGear TF G1 New | eBay

9. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

Yeah, I bought them through Igear and have had no problems. Their shipping method requires you to be home to sign for the package just so you know. Took about a month for them to get to my doorstep.

By the way ae_productions, hell of a write up.

10. ae_productions

ae_productions G1 Fan

Thanks man! I just want the Igear new customers to get a good honest feel for what they are considering buying. :) 

I am strangely mesmerized by the 86 Movie screen cap in your signature. It's just a great picture! Just a testament to the level of detail that movie had. The 86 movie is one of my favorites. The animation was so amazing. Just look at that still.

11. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I had to bite on the Coneheads, and I am very glad I did. Also replaced Thundercracker with the much nicer colouration I-gear version, and that started me replacing ALL of the official ones with Igear versions.

12. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    I've got the coneheads and thundercracker, all of which I got at a good-to-great deal (and one of which I got from AE!).

If I had paid full price for the Coneheads they would have been a tougher pill to swallow but they are nonetheless great and I'm happy to own them.

13. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

Got a bunch of iGear seekers: coneheads, lightning/thundercracker, (sun)storm, rain and the G2 Ramjet.

And I don't regret a single purchase.

Simply put, they're better than the official products. As stated above by ae_productions, there are a number of changes to the mold that really improve it.

Currently, iGear is the only way to get MP versions of the coneheads. Maybe Taktomy will someday release a version of their own, but if they do it will probably be years from now and cost at least the same and perhaps more.

14. maxirod

maxirod Well-Known Member

The seekers are awesome...go for it. But I think they messed up the L D T.

15. grandizerGo

grandizerGo Predaking

News Credits:
    get them...nuff said

16. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    Buy. But try to buy from somewhere you can be sure will help you out if something is a miss....

17. mrtbone81

mrtbone81 Bringer of Devastation

Ebay:
    I just got these guys! And they are awesome! Great to complete your MP Seeker mold. I think they are worth the $140 each because they are basically Masterpieces so that price is not bad at all. GET THEM!!!

18. ae_productions

ae_productions G1 Fan

That is a good point.

The MP-11 Starscream and SunStorm will be around 170 shipped to the states. So, 140 is not a bad deal. AND, the coneheads are more expensive than Thundercracker (Lightning), Starscream (Traitor), Sunstorm (Storm) and Skywarp (Warrior I think). The other seekers are 100 shipped from iGear. Can't beat that price.

19. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    I'll let you know when Thundercracker arrives....only ordered a month ago :mad 

20. primetime77

primetime77 Well-Known Member

having the three coneheads, sunstorm, and thundercracker....i can say with confidence they are great! i'd definitely recommend the coneheads. sunstorm you may or may not want to wait for takara's official version ( a redeco of mp-11 coming this summer). thundercracker...i have both the takara and the igear one. have to say it really depends on my mood which one i like better. i coudln't sell the takara one because it reminds me much of the G1 toy which i loved.