what's the story behind bw neo figs having weapon modes?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ckhtiger, Feb 22, 2007.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

so I just opened my new stampy figure and was wondering why he had a peg on his belly. after looking through the instructions, and the catalogue insert, I noticed that he, and apparently most of the other neo maximals have weapon modes. whyizzat?

2. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Beast Wars Neo was a bit like Energon, in that each faction had its own major gimmick. All the basic Cybertrons could transform into somewhat unweildy weapons for Longrack and Big Convoy, and the larger ones had "base" weapon modes.

The Destrons, for the most part, included "trap" modes by appearing to be corpses that would lure in the Cybertrons. Dead End had his Spiral Bomb attack instead of a trap mode, same with Archadis and his feathers, and obviously none of the repaints/remolds could have real attack/trap modes. Takara did try to half-ass something with Randy, Hydra, and Crazybolt as seen in the catalog inserts, which looked ridiculous.

Do feel free to correct me if I made an error about which gimmicks certain figures had.

3. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Some of the modes are pretty... well, lousy. I love Mach Kick, my favourite figure, but man is his "third mode" lame. Longrack's is slightly better since his kibble is more or less symmetrical, but it still just looks like a girraffe with a broken neck. Guilledart's "dead mode" is probably the best of them all, though, what with the blood and ribs and rolled back eyes.:thumb 

As for why they have them, I've never seen the show so i don't know if there's an explanation there beyond what Chosen said. I know Syd's seen the show, maybe he'll pop in with some more...

4. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

yeah, now that I think about it, since the dinos all made it into the beastmachines line up, it'd be a bit interesting to see what those "trap" modes were all about...

5. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Stampy, Break and Corahda used their weapon modes in the show but I can't remember if other Cybertrons did their 3rd modes. I'm fairly certain Mach Kick didn't, Boo :) 
    Those modes were certainly not important, I think they are only used in a couple of episodes towards the end.

As for Destrons, Sling used his trap once (he caught Stampy) and Saberback used his maybe twice...Giledart's played dead in the comic, but not in the cartoon.
    The most memorable use of gimmick was Hardhead, though his isn't trap as you know. It was used really well in the only one episode he appeared.

I'm soryy it's not much, and pardon me if I'm wrong somewhere.

Cap;
    [​IMG]

6. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Heh. Stampy's weapon mode also gives him the most unfortunately placed peg ever.

7. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I have a Stampy, Longrack and Corhada/ Saberback coming from ebay, I'm looking forward to playing around with their weapon modes!:D