Customs: what's the reason why you customize your tfs?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by seali_me, Nov 20, 2008.

1. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

myself, it started out as a means to give my alternator some substance. i had but a few decepticons. not even one megatron to date was made in the line. then i discovered it was fun.

do you sell or keep? or maybe make copies for others.

personally, i can't sell any of them. i only have but a few anyway.

2. asphalt

asphalt King of the road

Ebay:
    Well I am an art teacher and sculptor, I dont have the means or property to build a ceramics and metalworking studio and this is a way to satisfy my need to build and create. So its really a sanity issue for me. If I am not making I will go mad.

3. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I do it for the hot chicks and the fame!:lol 

Actually, I do it because I'm a natural tinkerer, and I seem to have a way of seeing things that I feel should be there on a figure, but aren't.

I have been an avid model builder since I was a kid, and into sci-fi even longer!!

I grew up on Transformers, and now I am a fully grown kid still into 'em!:lol 

I have sold customs, I do build them for me though. I never really feel pressure to churn them out, some folks are really good at producing something weekly, not me. I have no issues with building them specifically for sale, though for me, I tend to be a minimalist, and I don't care for clutter (probably why I like Legends so much) so after I get a few on the shelf, it's time to sell 'em off.

I also customize to push the craft and my skill as far as I can take it, Fully articulated Legends Class Punch/Counterpunch with LED eyes? Why not!

I don't much do fan characters, Though I am working on two at the moment. One will be a fan character of my user handle, Big Hank ( in the case of the custom, Big H.A.N.K.) Also I am working on an "Anti" Superion Combiner set. Hopefully that will be a totally new take on an Aerial team, and surprise a few folks!

Another reason is: IT'S FUN!!!

I find it to be a very therapeutic, relaxing hobby that engages the mind both in the creative and analytical arenas!

So Bash on Mighty Bashers!! :rock 

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I try (key word: try) to create customs of underrated and underrepresented characters. I think it's fun to look through the database of toys from Japanese Transformers that didn't get the time of day here in the states as well as other subgroups that Hasbro and Takara haven't bothered to emphasize in Classics/Universe and other modern lines.

5. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

well i first started customizing tf's because i thought i had seen a profit in making them. i was wrong. you can make a profit however it has to be something unique every time and / or you have to build a rep. sorry folks 40.00 for a deluxe repaint is a waste of my time when takes 8hrs or more to produce it. i have already tried several strategies and i will be trying more. i refuse to sacrifice quality to produce them faster .

anyways i started building models at 8yrs old. i also did ceramics and paper mache. my mother was an artiest and in 1983 she was selling custom sculpted cabbage patch kids made from scratch. at 31 i am kinda bored with model kits. so that is another reason i turned to toys like tf's. the main reason i customize though is the satisfaction of a unique finished product. i had an unforeseen learning curve when i started doing mecha. i feel i am coming out of that now just part of the learning experience.

like asphalt said i also do not have the means to make a ceramics and metal working shop so this keeps me within my means.

6. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    short answer: because hasbro isn't making what the fans want.

long answer: because I love everything about customizing TFs. From the initial idea (be it my own or someone else) through the photo shoot, it's a passionate ride every time.

I realize hasbro is a toy making empire. that being said, I realize why hasbro cannot put great detail and time/money/work into their TF figures. I've loved TFs for 25 years and will continue to do so, there's nothing better than making a living doing something you absolutely love and adore.

7. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Hear Hear!

8. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

This is true.

9. returnofplex

returnofplex Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Even as a kid I looked at my transformers and tried to think of ways they'd be cooler. All I ever wanted was for Prime to have blue eyes like in the cartoon. So my first custom was painting Powermaster Prime's eyes blue. From then on I got more and more comfortable with painting, and from there it was making minor mods. I customize because can. And because there's usually something I don't like about a mold, that is easily fixed. My Classics voyager Prime looked a lot like his Japanese cousin before Takara even thought about the repaint.

10. seali_me

most of the time i find myself complaining about trivial things about the toys.i bought a tftm ironhide and to my disappointment, the picture in back was inaccurate, misleading. then i saw the same thing on classics prime. that made me think of painting it myself but personally the tftm toys are not even worth that. then came the reversed autobot logo on myfirst alt prime. lol. what's a tf fan in his late 20's to do? lol

i still hate the disclaimer: "colours may vary."

11. seali_me

sometimes i think that the henkei line was made just for that reason. something like a higher class repaint of the generic factory universe line. takara -tomy's strategy for selling more repaints. deliberately distributing lower class tfs before selling the the original and intended toys.

12. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    One word PLOWKING !!!!!

When I first joined TFW, I was one of the guys in the sigs thread making sigs. PK made a request, being a fellow Snowplow driver.
    I took his request on. That was where I saw my very first custom TF, Alt Plowking Ver 2.I started playing around with Photoshop
    more & came up with the design for Alt NP. I started talking to PK about it & commissioned him to make Alt NP.
    After I received NP the rest of the Nemesis Predacons designs soon followed. I started talking to PK more & more
    and he strongly encouraged me to take on the task of making the rest of the Nem Preds myself.
    I'm pretty sure I drove him crazy in the early days of my bashing, asking tons & tons of NooB questions
    & messages on MSN that simply said "HELP, I F&^%ED UP !!!" After that I was hooked on Plastic Crack & the rest is history.
    Thanks to bashing I have made so many great friends, PK, SQ7, RL, TTT, ABX23, BH & all the other Radicons.
    I feel blessed & honored to be part of (IMO) the best TF customizing community.

13. Paul Prime

Paul Prime Well-Known Member

I was always playing with construction toys as a child. I don't have a lot of toys, but I made my own toys. So when I grew up, suddenly realized than I missed my childhood, and began to modify my Transformers (the first one was a gift from my wife). Plus after a week of working and stress, kitbashing makes me relax.
    And surfing the internet and see customs from some artists helps a lot, too (you know who they are!)

14. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    The same reason everyone else does it - OCD.

C'mon guys, admit it. It's not our fault, we're just wired wrong!

15. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I started out simply because I watched the customs communities both here and at Transtopia and saw a neverending abundance of not only ideas, but helpful tips and guides. I also wanted the figures that Hasbro never gave me.......those figures that never saw release AND because the ones that DID see release, just didn't live up to the name. I'm 32, grew up on G1, loved everything about it from the show to the toys.........but most of G1's toys were bricks, to put it bluntly. Hasbro has come a long way, but I do this not for the fame or money or whatever--I do it for the love of the hobby and to not only create what I personally want to see, but to also give ideas and tips to those that may want to do something similar.

So for me, it was about the great customs I saw, the love and fun of the hobby, and the sharing of tips, tricks, and ideas to create something GREAT.

16. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

I wish I could claim some loftier reason but the truth is that I want certain characters or certain repaints, and if hasbro doesn't make them, I try.

If I had a magic wand and could wish Hasbro to make all my favorite toys I'd have no problem hanging up my dremel and throwing out all those smelly paints.

17. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

i've watched and have admired the custom section on TFW2005.com for the past 2 years. I always loved the aspect of customizing something, especially scratchbuild (huge fan).

I never tried jumping into the game until about 4 months ago when I decided to quit smoking. And i figured I would give my hand at customizing to try and keep my mind off smoking. I started off repainting a bootleg devastator i had laying around, lol, it wasnt pretty but i found myself being proud of it in some way.

So ever since, every time I jump into a custom, I try and outdo my last.

Honestly, I customize for self satisfaction, and try and sell what I feel is good enough to be sold at the time.

If it weren't for the great radicons here, I would still be smoking and never have discovered such a great hobby.

TFW2005 & RADICONS, u ROCK!!!

18. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    Ive been collecting TFs for years, but only recently joined a forum, this forum. When I first got here, I really had no idea what the Radicons were about, and I went about posting my first thread, I had customized my G1 Red Alert to look cartoon accurate, and posted him in the toys discussion forum. Well obviously it wasnt the spot for it, and I was quickly notified of my mistake by another member.:rolleyes:  When I finaly found the Radicons, and saw all the insane customs, it was like seeing Transformers for the first time! I really had no idea people were going the the extent they were to mod their figures. I instantly knew that I wanted to take part and contribute, but I felt that my basic G1 repaints weren't a good reprisentation of my customizing skills so I refrained from posting it again until I stepped up my game.:eek: 

Im a steel fabricator by trade, and I specialize in some prety heavy automotive modifications (custom turbo systems, roll cages, chassis mods, air bag suspensions, chop tops, suiside doors, back halfs, etc...) and have a good understanding of mechanics, and since I only really only collect G1 TFs, articulating my "bricks" was a no-brainer. I have been building, and customizing scale models since I was a kid, but haven't touched a one in over 10 years, so picking this back up has been great! I really enjoy figuring out unique and creative ways to acomplish my mods, and I get real satisfaction when I complete a custom. And since I have multiples of 84'-85' TFs, and many reissues; by buliding customs, Im actually getting my Transformers fix without spending gobs of money for rare figures every week. Actually the only downfall to picking this up as a hobby has been the lack of sleep, and a less than thrilled, neglected girlfriend.

19. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

To get myself the characters Hasbro doesn't intend to make.

20. Geminii

Geminii Toyetic multiformophile

I still have to get started, but I'm fairly sure my motivation would be to see my own designs in solid plastic - partly because it's just cool, but also partly because it'd be confirmation that what's in my head would physically work as an actual 3D toy.