Customs: What's the proper term for a whole lot of Cyberjets?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by ClassicDrogn, Sep 20, 2006.

1. ClassicDrogn

ClassicDrogn New Member

Okay, so, Car Robot Convoy puts on his "trailer" armor and becomes Fire Convoy - or just the feet on his shoulders and is Super Convoy. Combine with God Magnus instead, and he's God Fire Convoy, IIRC - maybe just God Convoy, s'not like they've never reused a name at Takara or Hasbro. I got them as imports before a US release was even announced, but only discovered the online TF kitbashing community yesterday, hence the long out of date post - but I think my version, keeping the "missile toes" on the shoulders to beef up God Fire Convoy's look even more (and better support the ladder-as-cannon, for that matter) is mor interesting than the other mods I've seen that generally have the Fire armor hand parts up there as mini-turrets.

Ne?

That at least is a simple matter of adding a post hole on each shoulder

Like so

That done, I decided to use the shoulder/arm Fire pieces to fill out the back of the legs a bit - they end up being attatchable in either of two ways with the same holes.

This way looks better - it's how I originally intended them - but the post that has to plug in is recessed in the Fire arm-part, and unless your new holes are JUST right they tend to fall out (hence them not mathcing when I took this - the other side won't stay this way)

THis way, they're much more firmly in place, but look kind of awkward - though only if you're looking for it. There's no real effect on poseability since the knee is restricted by the other (unmodified) parts before they could bind. It does mount the heavy end of the Fire parts, with the folded up hands, a bit lower down, so I suppose it's slightly more stable - and with the weight of this beast and how top heavy it is even BEFORE adding samurai shoulder pads and the ladder/cannon, I'll take every bit of stability I can grab.

Hmm, I'd wanted to put up an image of a Spacecase mod, my absolute favorite TF "evar," but I can't find the scans, let alone the actual toy right now. The paint job is hard to describe, but the bash isn't - I added a hinge on the back plate so the wings would fold up onto the back and (together with the tail fins) look like G1 Starscream's in robot mode, added some little arm guns with translucent green rods for barrels, also ala classic Seekers, and cut the lower legs just below the ball, rotated them 90 degrees, and filled them with Green Stuff epoxy before painting, with just enough knife work on the feet for the landing gear to flip down and be toes. The faceplate also got a bit of XActo cutting to have a nose/mouth/eyes and then painted over in black with mettalic green (still translucent with a light behind the head) for the eyes.

Oh yeah, and before even starting, I pulled the pin and got rid of the lame ass missile launcher, just like the other ninety or so Space Case and Strafe repaints I've done. Most poorly, but meh.

This one turned out well enoguh, though - the flames are obviously photoshopped in, but the rest of it is a physical toy, and yes, it still transforms, if a bit more chunky - looks rather like a Super Valkyrie, or Jetfire, actually. The hip piece has two notches cut to clear the second shoulders, and the arms lie in flat against the missile racks, with the legs folded over them, bent at the knees a bit. The legs also had holes drilled in the feet, so the two clubs could fit in there like Machine Wars Mirage's gun parts, while the swords sat on the missile racks like the missiles they were cut from.

Here's a brother - this one has Hooligan wings pinned to the tips os his stock wings, but they're folded up in this image, and it's too dark to really see them (all 0f these are scans of better customs I'm finding while not finding the one I want - I have no idea where any of the toys are now, it's been seven years or so since I did them)

The first from that series - this one had the wings set up to peg on and detecth, then stuff into the molding slots in the arms in robot mode as big blades. They're actualy reversed in this image from the way they'd be for combat, but eh. The background is some park in Washington State.

This little guy got made from left over parts I had kicking around, so I named him Brickabrack, and proclaimed him the head Curator of the Iacon Museum of Fine Art, who loaded the most irreplaceable exhibits into his exceptionally capacious cargo space (he's a twin-nose shuttle) and fled when the Decepticons kicked off the Third (current) Cybertronian Civil War with an assault on that city, and has been looking for a safe enough place to reopen it ever since, with little luck.

his side his back shuttle mode, top shuttle mode, bottom - the blue strip on his chest opens to fold in the head

Another, more complicated Space Case mod, this one preserving the original kick-ass paint on the moon.

His jet mode, with Terrorsaur's gun (only useful thing on that waste of plastic) and a booster made from ... er... four Hooligan lower legs, two shoulder/launcher arms, and one inner backplate, all leftovers from other bashes.

Hmm. I'm going to check on my other computer.

- CD

2. ClassicDrogn

ClassicDrogn New Member

Drat, still can't find the one I was looking for... I did turn up a couple of other pretty good ones.

This guy is very original-Seeker-ish, though not as much as the later one. I call him Sunraker, and he's got advanced alloys and cooling systems that make him all but impervious to heat, so when he says he's going sunbathing it doesn't mean lying in a field somewhere. his head, traced from a way-too-close-up. Thgouh it's not as slick as it looks in this, he does in fact have the face-carving I mentioned earlier - he was my first attempt at it. The eyes are neon pink Testors paint marker, which bled into the yelow plastic to look red.

THis one is named Zing, and it's probably my second favorite bash - it would be tops, but it's too awkward from the side, and I really wanted a couple more joints than I could squeeze in, to let the waist/hips block flip and smooth out the tansformation, and to let the canard wings fold down over the shoulders in robot mode. I'm not sure what it would take to get the chestplate to look fembot, but probably another couple pivots and pegs on top of the ones I had planned... I was really happy with the way the wing stripes lined up in both modes, though, and the fake mini rubsign on the wing. The metallics on this one are all Gundam Marker paint pens, bought from HLJ, which work very well on TF plastic.

disassembled arm/torso block lightened closeup to show how the top aligns

I'm annoyed that I can't find the other one. I was really happy with the paint effect I got on it.

- CD

3. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Pretty wild customs, man! They look great. I like Zing.

4. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Propper terms for "a whole lot of":

A large group of Cyberjets is a "gaggle".

Autobot cars in a large social group form a "pride".

Several combiner families living together are a "squadron".

Decepticon jets roam in "herds".

Throttlebots can be found living in large "flocks".

Get enough Laser Rods sharing common territory and you have an "assortment".

Large amounts of Minicons organize themselves into dense tight-knit "cliques".

Pretenders live thier lives in large highly-social "carpenters unions".

Power Masters usually have one alpha male ruling over each "variety pack".

Hope that clears up the original question.
    Nice customs. :) 

5. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

And a group of insecticons is a "swarm".

6. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great work!

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Murder, a group of Insecticons is called a "murder". :D