What's the problem with Megatron?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by megatroptimus, Feb 9, 2007.

1. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    I don't know, it seems all the last incarnations of Megatron we got recently were pretty lame compared to other toys from the same series.

-Cybertron Megatron : lame jet mode, can barely stand when combined with Nemesis Breaker

-Energon Megatron : lazy transformation for a big toy (I know Minicons that are more complex), stupid tank/gun/sword

-Armada Megatron : the tank rocks except for the semi-visible head, but the bot socks because of the legs and the combined form with Tidal Wave is so-so

-RID Megatron : doesn't look like anything in any of the modes except robot

-BM Megatron : lame dragon, lame robot

-TM2 Megatron : floppy-necked dragon, lame robot, dragon head arm is floppy and looks out of place

So to me, the last good (very good imo) Megatron was TM Megatron. Hopefully Movie Megatron will break the bad streak.

2. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i like all those toys... especially the tm2 megatron dragon!

and rid megatron, is one of the coolest incarnations ever, i mean, what other transformer, can actually, HOLD g1 megatron in gun mode? i mean it turns in to a giant hand! plus 9 other things!

cybertron megatron, is pretty cool too, and energon megatron is probably THE best of all the megatrons to come out in the 21 century.

and if the transformation seems simple, then that would be because it was originally a mega sized toy. not a super.

pm megatron may look a bit cheesy, but megabolt megatron makes up for it pretty nicely.

so what makes them all lame?

they're all pretty cool to me.

fun toys, at least. and when it comes down to it all, isn't that all that matters?

3. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    All you had to do to fix TM2 Megatron's arm floppiness is switch the lever around... it was installed incorrectly on bot him and Cryotek. That whole 2 seconds of work elevates him a whole lot, IMO.

4. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I haven't like a single Megatron since G1, until the 2-pack tank Meagtron.

5. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    And what does that change in the neck? My 2 favorite Megatrons are G1 and G2.

6. Phorpus

Phorpus RHco.

I wouldn't say lame but "guinea pig" comes to mind.

Prime has usually kept to the basics in most designs but Megatron seems to constantly evolve, he hasn't kept his bucket head in any new designs and most heads are different from the other, the body designs seem to vary constantly, and while Prime's alternate mode has always been a truck of some sort recent Megatrons have ranged from a dragon to a car to a tank to a hand.

I don't know why but Megatron seems to be where a completely different design from G1 is allowed. But maybe that's what made him "lame"?

7. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    When I compare each Meg with the Prime from the same series, I always find Prime to be the best of the 2 when it comes to design and playability.

TM2 Meg vs TM2 Optimal Optimus : ok, it's pretty even
    BM Meg vs BM Primal : even (although I find Primal's transformation better)
    RID Meg vs RID Prime : Prime has electronics, rubber wheels, a super mode and combines with Magnus!
    RID Megabolt vs Air Attack Primal : Primal, hands down.
    Armada Meg vs Armada Prime : regular mode and super mode for Prime, combines with Jetfire AND Overload, can tow Overload and has auto-transform trailer that also does a base... that's a lot
    Energon Meg vs Energon Prime : more playability with Prime with a super mode again and the ability to combine with Wing Saber and Omega Supreme/Sentinel
    Cybertron Meg vs Cybertron Prime : Prime wins for stability and playability (combines with Leobreaker and Sonic Bomber). Has regular mode and super mode too, some kind of battle base as well, and he has 3 alternate modes.

Not that I don't like Megatron, but I don't find the recent Megs satisfying compared to Prime (or other toys from the same series).

8. Boo

Ebay:
    Gives it some stability and poseability. Not an incredible amount of poseablilty, but enough to straighten it out and have his head turn left and right a bit. It's not much, really, but ti makes a world of difference.

His bot mode still needs some work, though... wish he had a more show-like chest and legs.:( 

9. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    Ok, my Meg must have been fixed before because he can do that... but that neck is still floppy. The gimmick is cool but annoying at the same time if you want to pose it properly.

10. Dolza_Khyron

aa op primal better then megabolt megatron? you only say that because he wears his butt on his head for a hat!

11. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I like most of the Megs but what I am really waiting for is MP-05. It will be the best incarnation of Megatron ever.

12. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    200% true.

13. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Browning is cooler than Megs :p 

14. Boo

Ebay:
    Which way is the lever pointed? If it's pointed towards his beast head, then it's fixed and should provide the stability. Underneath it is a little tab that folds down and helps to "lock" the neck in several different positions. Wish i had pictures...

15. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    Whats the deal with the first Titanium Megs he looks like and old man, all he is missing is a cane.

MP-5 and Titanium War Within Megs will definately rock IMO

16. Boo

Ebay:
    MP Megs does look very good, but my favourite is still BWR/BWX Megatron. He'll be hard to top for me.

17. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My fave is still G1 Megs not because he's simply from G1 but his design is still the best looking among the many versions.

18. Dolza_Khyron

yet, g1 megatron, is the worst in toy form lol

19. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I only own two versions of Megs (G1 and Rid) and I think both are quite nice. The classics Megs, which I have yet to buy would be a home run if not for the colors. The upcoming MP Megatron will probably be the last Megs I buy.

20. Boo

Ebay:
    No. BM "mega" Megatron is. But i love him anyways.