What's the point of hiding?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by StarYoshi14, Jun 10, 2011.

1. StarYoshi14

StarYoshi14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just gunna put this out there for discussion. In every Transformers TV series up until Prime, the Autobots and Decepticons had no problem interacting with humans, being publicly known, and they didn't really bother keeping up the 'robots in disguise' thing. The first movie has the Autobots remaining covert, but in the final battle, half the city was destroyed.

The second movie shoehorns the excuse that they were prototype robots on a rampage and were able to cover up every battle until the Fallen blew their cover for all the Transformers. If the second, and supposedly third, movie showcase how well the Autobots can work with humans in fighting Decepticons, then what's the point of hiding?

"It's time for the world to know of our presence. No more disguises, NO MERCY..." -Bayformers Megatron

G1, the Unicron Trilogy, and Animated have little or no attempts to actually hide themselves from the humans. I feel the Autobots and Decepticons would be much more efficient in Prime if they just dropped the disguises. The whole disguise thing makes them seem more like superheroes instead of soldiers.

Any thoughts or oppositions?

2. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    >Disgusies makes them more like superheroes isntead of soldiers

That made no sense, if anything, going around LOL LOOK AT US SAVING THE DAY PEOPLE WE ARE ALIENS is more like superhero shenanigans.

3. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    If they revealed their existence you may end up with people creating prototype weapons. Anyways, in Armada at the beginning the Autobots tried to keep their cover. Having giant robots fighting couls create fear in the people around them aswell.

4. caitlindevi

caitlindevi Sculpticon

News Credits:
    You might as well be asking why do they bother transforming.

In Animated robots being around in everyday life was more accepted...even when they were wandering about everyone thought they were Sumdac bots

They hide so they can spring surprise attacks, do covert survailence and avoid enemy attacks.

Why do you think the army wear camoflage and have developed stelth technology?

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Because people would freak the fuck out if they found out there were not only aliens, but intelligent aliens, who were also giant warring robots who could turn into everyday vehicles to perfectly hide themselves amongst us.

6. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

For the Decepticons, they hide for the same reason that a tiger has stripes. Cons are predators, and predators are usually hidden from their prey because it gives them the best hunting advantage. And in this case, the prey (humans) are actually capable of fighting back to some degree, so it's probably best to keep a low profile and not expose yourself as a target. Ask Breakdown or Sunstreaker what happens when the prey fights back...

For the Autobots, I think they generally hide to keep from panicking the human population. Realistically, if a race of giant aliens came to earth, there would be widespread panic. It's unlikely that humans would celebrate the Autobots and happily buddy up with them like they did in the older cartoons. I always liked the way it was written in the G1 comics, where the humans didn't know that there were two different armies, and lumped the Autobots in with the Decepticons. Random Joe Human isn't going to understand the politics of an alien species, he's just going to know that giant robots are trashing the planet and might come for him next.

That's probably why the Autobots are usually shown working with a small, top-secret government group in the modern stories. They're working with humans, but in a way that doesn't cause fear in the general population.

7. StarYoshi14

StarYoshi14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I meant hiding from the public eye. Disguise and camouflage is definitely a military tactic. However, not telling the residents that a war is being fought where they are is not.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Because people probably wouldn't take it very well. At all.

You don't just "reveal" the fact that a devastating war between two factions of giant alien robots who can hide anywhere they like has been secretly waging unknown to most of the world, but then say "nah, it's cool."

9. Jive Guru

Jive Guru Professional Amateur

Because panic would ensue in the public, same as why the real governments don't tell US about the real alien stuff out there.

*Puts on my tinfoil hat*

Not everyone would panic, but waaaay more people than you might think would.

10. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    If you have a problem with the robots hiding then whats the point of transforming. We can just call them fighting robots from space instead.

11. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Call them what you will, but considering that we freak the fuck out because of harmless Mosquitoes & Hadron Coliders, I think it's safe to say that we'd freak the fuck out even more if CNN's next big story involved the said "robots in disguise".

12. mynamehere

mynamehere Well-Known Member

Because they're just glorified toy commercials, and the hook or gimmick of said toys is ability to transform, so the disguise stuff is backstory to support the toy gimmick. Just wondering, how are dinobots explained in the various tv shows and comics? Because giant metal dinosaurs are a ridiculous disguise.

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    In the Marvel comics they were released from the Ark long before the other Autobots, and since Teletraan-1 doesn't register organics properly, their metal dinosuar "disguises" were the result. In the G1 cartoon, the Autobots just thought it would be cool to make some robot dinosaurs. (I'm not kidding) In IDW (and this is my favourite) they tracked Shockwave to Earth which was filled with unstable Energon radiation, so as protection they scanned the dinos since Grimlock didn't like mammals, but the Earth creatures were immune. (as well as Shockwave who was causing the raditation) Shockwave burned away their flesh in battle leaving them as organically-styled robot dinos, who were trapped beneath a volcanic erruption caused by Grimlock's last ditch effort to defeat Shockwave.

14. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

Yeah, lets drop one of the biggest defining aspects of the franchise. Why not? Robots in disguise? Like, whatever...

Also, as much as I didn't really care for the shows themselves, Armada and Cybertron actually did play up the whole thing of being in disguise from public eye.

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I liked Animated. Even though the Autobots were public figures, they still managed to use their alt modes as disguises.

16. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I didn't much care for it. Didn't really make much sense to me, and didn't really come into play much either.

Transformers Animated: Robots in disguise...Kinda...Sorta...Not really...Hey look, G1 homage!...*Runs*

17. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

:lol 

18. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

This.

19. Kostya

Kostya Destron

News Credits:
    Okay, MECH is an organization with a lot of tech that would love to tear the Autobots apart and use them as war machines from what I gather. But they're the bad guys so the bots can smash them if they have to. Substitute the US, Russian, Chinese, or any Government for MECH and you get a lot of problems in terms of fighting them off.

Now guess who would want to take a peek at the latest weapons of war if they found out about them.

20. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

Actually, as I understand it, MECH is an independent terrorist group. They're just as much in hiding as the Transformers.

The Autobots are also already working with the US.