Whats the overall opinion on the Armada and Energon toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Recall, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I wasn't into collecting at the time so have no idea what came out during the Armada/Energon time period and wondered what is the general consensus of those toylines?

Was there anything worth getting back then? Do people have favourites or was the toyline mostly disliked?

2. a-town

a-town Well-Known Member

dont have a single AEC toy, but im considering to get downshift to be my classics wheeljack

3. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    You'll always get a wide range of answers based on personal tastes to a question like this; I doubt there's a consensus at all, just as there's not with any other line.

IMHO, Armada is more or less easily skipped. Energon had very few gems on the Autobot side, namely Landquake/Landmine and Omega Supreme/Omega Sentinel, but the Energon Decepticons were all great figures. The Energon Autobots were hobbled by the combining gimmick while the Decepticons got extra weaponry.

4. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    there was some really great toys, and then were some really shitty toys. just decide for yourself on what you like. I loved the bendy nemesis prime from armada, the shockblast/sixshot from energon, and the prime and galvatron from cybertron. Oh and omega prime from rid is a cant miss, especially the toys r us exclusive clear one with the god sword. gotta love big ass swords. also the birth of minicons/microns. those little guys kick ass.

5. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I have all the original molds and some repaints from both and it really depends on what you like in your toys. If yoy like articulation and poseability, honestly most of Armada is not for you. Uniron is probably the the most poseable toy from the line and one I recmmend most. Energon was slightly better, but the gimmich realy hindered the Autobots in the line. The Decepticons were better overall but I feel Cybertron had a better overall aestetic when dealing with the gimmiack to toy ratio.

6. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    To me, most Armada toys are more 'interesting' than 'good', but there are some standouts, like deluxe 'bendy' Optimus Prime, Tidal Wave, Unicron, and Hoist (if you can take the shovel-arm). There are some excellent Minicons worth tracking down too - if you like little toys, that is.

Energon was better overall, but the majority of Autobots suffered for their 'everything combines with something' gimmick. Most of the Decepticons were pretty nifty though, especially Starscream, Shockblast, Divebomb, and Galvatron.

7. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Thanks for the info :)  I wonder how much Energon Galvatrons go for. *Runs to eBay*

8. Deadpool.

Deadpool. I want my bird.

News Credits:
    Cybertron has the best molds/designs out of the three, if you ask me.

I wasnt really into Cybertron back then since A/E kinda killed my interest... Which is why I bought loads of Cybertron repaints from the Universe line instead.

9. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

You can pass on Armada without missing anything good, with the possible exception of Tidal Wave. Energon has some good stuff, mostly on the Decepticon side.

10. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I bought Armada Prime (ugh.)
    Armada Unicron- YIPPEE!
    Cybertron Primus- AH-SUM!
    and I got a TFTM '07 repaint of WingBlade.

I need to snag an Energo Omega Supreme and the i can easily say i am done with A/E/C collecting. they just weren't that great, to me.

11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    general consensus doesnt exist for these lines. So many years later, the fandom is still completely split.

I loved both lines, in their entirety. I dont think the autobots suffered much for the combining, because the combining is a big part of what made the line so interesting and fun.

12. Seibermore

Seibermore Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have 2 Energon figures and a few Cybertron but I also want a Downshift to be a Classics Wheeljack.

13. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I only watched a few episodes of Armada and Energon, so my assessment is based solely on the toys.

I like the Minicons, mainly for introducing transformations which don't involve "unfold front/back of altmode to reveal legs, pulls sides of altmode to reveal arms" which was practically standardized for Micromasters. I don't like some of the results, but props to them for trying something new with such small toys.

As for the larger toys that are supposed to work with these Minicons...their designs don't appeal to me, with the exception of Unicron and the Deluxe Bendy Prime, and the latter's only recently after seeing the kitbashes based on the mold at the Radicons forum.

14. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not a fan of armada, but I really like the energon line and I love the cybertron line.

With a bit of mistransformation most of the autobot combinations can look quite nice.
    Energon Omega Supreme is an awesome figure, Fatimus Prime is a great figure when combined.
    Shockblast/Sixshot is a great mold. It stands by itself on one of my shelves.
    The energon combiners are sickness (especially with the addon kits that are available)

Cybertron prime is one of my favorite molds, but most of the cybertron line is pretty cool and very poseable.

Don't skip Omega Prime if you have the option. VERY Cool combination.

15. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I liked Armada and Energon. I have to agree with what most have said tho: Armada toys in general have some limited posability and the Energon Autobots are underwhelming to say the least.

The Armada and Energon toys I'd go after are:
    Armada Supercon (deluxe) Prime
    Armada Hoist
    Tidal Wave (Energon or Micron Legends deco)
    Armada Unicron
    Any Energon Decepticon not named Insecticon
    Energon Landmine
    Energon Skyblast and Strongarm

16. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Neither Here Nor There

News Credits:
    Love all the Armada toys, Energon I can't comment since it never came here

17. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Armada was shit, except for the Optimus, Megatron, Tidal Wave, Jetfire, Unicron, Red Alert, and Starscream molds.

Energon is undrrated, in my honest opinion. Probably the most underrated figure in the line was Optimus.

18. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Not a fan, but it did have it's gems, such as Demolishor, Tidal Wave and, of course, Unicron.

19. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    Armada and Energon had some gems in their toylines of fail. Cybertron on the other hand, was far better.

20. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Armada is overall passable. The only figure worth having is Unicron, which is why Hasbro's re-released it twice.

Energon is a good deal better. A nice homage to G1 in many ways. But I think a lot of the molds look like crap, namely most of the Autobots. If you like combining them, I guess it's a different story, but that's just a lame gimmick that hinders the figures both in function and aesthetically. Many of the better molds you'll find will be the Decepticon molds. They were just engineered to be good stand-alone figures without having to worry about gimmicks aside from firing missiles or something.