What's the "hardest" comic you ever read?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by LigerPrime, Jul 10, 2006.

1. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When I mean "hardest" I mean, to "understand". For me, it has to be the DC's original "Crisis"...yeah, I'm sure there are more complex storylines out there but the original "Crisis" was hard for me! LOL!

2. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

Neil Geimens (sp?) Sandman Endless Nights. I did not, and still don't get that read.
    I think what a lot of people get confused about with COIEs is the massive amount of continuity that is crammed in the story.. It is slightly easier once you get to know all of the characters and the various earths that they are all from.

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    morrison's the invisibles.

i promise you it will be the most dense read you will ever find in comic form.

i'm not saying it's consistently good (and at times, even make sense), but if you can read thru invisibles, you are teh hardcore.

i am teh hardcore.

4. JoshBot

JoshBot Well-Known Member

Atomika. I always kinda have a weird headrush when I read it.

5. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

Watchmen, only for the whole Pirate subplot that I still have no idea what it means.

6. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    One time my mom bought me a four-book miniseries she saw on sale at an outlet store called 'Gilgamesh II.'

I read it through, and was confused by the ending. I assumed I had missed something, so I read it through again, AND read the epic of Gilgamesh for good measure.

Turns out Gilgamesh II was just really fucking stupid.

7. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

I know it's translated Manga and whatnot, but Ghost in the Shell 2: Man Machine Interface absolutely lost me about 10 seconds in. I regret buying every issue without reading anything and trying to read it all upon completion as I still have no idea what was going on in that book.

8. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

SPOILERS

On one level the Pirates comic is supposed to show an example of what's popular in comics from a universe with superheroes in it.

But it's also supposed to parallel with parts of the story, particularly Adrian Veidt (who is represented by the Pirate story's protaganist).

For example, the chapter where Rorscharch is captured. It was parallel with the pirate sequence where the protagonist took down a shark (and remember Moore had the cop going, "Raw shark? Why should I want to know where to find..." when he realizes that "Raw shark" = pronounciation of Rorscharch).

And there's some other examples but I can't think of 'em at the moment.

9. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    yeah, but some of the parallel didnt work directly, i could be mistaken, because those were from actually old genre comics from EC. so in parts the associations were arbitrary.

what i took from it was the whole 'sane man in an insane world/insane man in sane world' message, which would apply to either veidt or rosharch, depending on who youre partial to.

10. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

Jim Lee's and Brian Azzarello's run on Superman. I haven't bothered to go back and read the thing in one sitting, so I've only read it on the monthly basis. Shit didn't make ANY sense.

The original Crisis I read before I was hardcore into DC, so every page I was like "Who's that?" I reread it before the Infinite Crisis, knowing my stuff, and the book read a whole lot better.

11. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

All-Star Superman...I mean seriously...WTF?!?!

At least All-Star Batman and Robin is hysterically bad and you can understand what's going on.

12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Spawn, and more specifically, Hellspawn.

The former drags along so slowly and yet is so continuity heavy that if you do skip ahead an issue or two suddenly you've lost the plot.
    The latter was just screwed up and the art didn't help me.

Spawn I still read, just wish more happened in an issue. Hellspawn... what the heck was that all about anyways?

13. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

Ultimate Nightmare. I read it while I was sick, so the dark coloring and rapid cuts made it hard to remember which team was which sometimes.

14. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Really? The only part of Endless Nights that I found kind of hard to follow was the Delirium story. But it's a Delirium story, so I expect that.

And as far as COIE goes, the biggest hurdle to following it (aside from the fact that it requires a bachelor's degree in DC continuity) is the fact that it featured a lot of subplots that led into tie-ins in books that were running at the time. All that stuff about Guy Gardner and the Guardians on Oa, Blue Devil in space, Amethyst and her book that I'd never heard of and still really know nothing about, etc.

Anyway, for me the "hardest" comic storyline I've read is Marvel's House of M. Seriously, who the hell thought that was a good idea? An eight issue miniseries where absolutely nothing fucking happens between issues 1 and 7? Isn't the reason comic companies have editors so that someone can step in and say "Now wait just a damn minute here..."? How anyone could have greenlit that disaster still puzzles me.

15. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

As Devilsfan said, All Star Superman - WTF is going on?
    Lee/Azzarello Superman - It was so boring and drawn out
    1602 - I was so lost for most of it then it all finally fell into place.

I'm sure if I go through my collection, I can find some more for various reasons.

EDIT! Oh wait, I forgot two.
    Iron Man 327-332 - Not hard to read, hard to stomach
    Spiderman, the clone saga - this wasn't hard, is was just hard to keep getting it. but after having so much invested in it, I'd be damned if I wasn't going to finish it.

16. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Grant Morrison is playing 1950s/60s. That's pretty much it.

17. The Spider

What's so hard?

The idea so far is basically, "In an alternate universe, Superman is told he's becoming powerful but may die soon as a result, so he tries to put things in order in case it does happen and along the way we see loads of out-there things like a Cosmic Anvil and the Dwarf Star Key all that".

Unless we're seeing Barbelith and fictionsuits and all that stuff from THE INVISIBLES being the focus I don't think this should really be that hard.

18. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Heck, I teach a Batman comic book class, and *I* still can't make sense of a lot of Moore's work, particularly V for Vendetta and Watchmen.

With V, it was "hard" for me, because I find politics really boring. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I read V, I thought the story was good, and I thought the movie was good too, but the graphic novel was so difficult to read. If it takes me 1 minute to read a page for a "normal" mainstream comic, it would take me 3 minutes to read a page of "V." Also, the comic was difficult to read because all the characters just started looking the same. A majority of the cast was balding, middle-aged men.

"Watchmen" was hard for me to read because the story was so dense (as in, a lot happened in a few amount of pages), and that pirate subplot just irritated me. Yes, I understand that there's symbolism in there, but Moore spent way too much time developing his pirate story. If that's an actual story from an old comic, then he REALLY spent too much time on it. But in the pirate story's defense, I know a lot of people who hated the "main" storyline of Watchmen and only liked the pirate plot, so I guess people have different tastes.

Also, I found "Batman: Arkham Asylum" very difficult to read because everyone spoke with a different style of text font, and a lot of it was just eye-straining. Joker, for example, spoke with some weird text that was pale-colored, set atop pale-colored talk bubbles.

19. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

See, that's what I didn't know, alternate Universe.

20. The Spider

I think I also gotta amend that to, "self-contained universe," since it's not connected to the current books or ALL-STAR BATMAN for that matter.