What's the going price for NES carts and...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Scrapper6, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

How hard is it to find certain games in this market? I plan to check out a few pawn shops and flea markets in the coming weeks to see about scoring a few NES games for my system which still thankfully works. I'm also looking to get two new controllers because the one I have now is definately glitchy, when I was playing TMNT 3 The Manhattan Project or TMNT 2 The Arcade Game the sprites wouldn't react occasionally when I hit the buttons and sometimes the game would pause without me pressing start. (Unless that's a sign of either malfunctioning carts or system? I'm not up on what to do if anything does happen, does Nintendo still offer repairs to game carts or systems as old as the NES?)

How can you be guaranteed that the carts you pick up from said places are going to be 100% or at least 85% good?

Any advice would be welcome, and should I pick up a second NES in case the first one does crap out on me?

2. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

It depends completely on the specific game. Some are extremely common, some are rare and super expensive. There are websites that categorize how easy or hard to find a game may be if you search around. The good news is a lot of popular games are common and easy to find because so many were made.

You can't guarantee a game will work. Buy them from reputable places and find out if they have a return policy if the game is defective. Truthfully though, NES carts are pretty resilient. I doubt you will have many problems with this.

3. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I still buy NES games, and only rarely do I wind up spending more than $5 a game. Definitely check flea markets, as you will usually score good games at cheap prices. If you are worried about your system, there are two options. Buy an new, easy to install, 72-pin adapter. Or buy an FC Twin or Retro Due.

4. Scrapper6

Ok yeah, I have NO idea what those things are dude.

5. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I'm promise I am not being a smart alec. Just showing you the results I found when I searched.

FC Twin or Retro Due - Google Search

I think Bendimus Prime was saying he got one of these and is quite happy with it. It even had optional wireless controllers.

Although you might get more results if you look up Retro Duo :) 

6. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    A 72 pin adapter is just the connector that your games slide into. Really easy to replace. The FC Twin and Retro Duo are new systems that play NES and SNES games.

7. Scrapper6

Ok any one of those systems would rck with me, not only could I score a ton of older NES carts that I really wanted back in the day dirt cheap and then play them to my hearts content but I could also finally play my Super Mario RPG and Earthbound SNES carts again without having to wait until I can buy a Wii. Now the big question, how do you get one of those in Canada and where am I going to scrounge up the necessary cash for both the system and all those lovely games I'm looking for. Oh right, get a job, or mooch off my brother either way works for me. :lolol 

8. Scrapper6

Yeah, ok here's what I think I need to do. See I just got two games today, Batman and Adventues of Lolo. Adventures of Lolo worked after a few tries, Batman seemed to work only for the game to glitch out and now it won't do a damn thing. I suspect I should not only clean all of my NES carts connector points but also change the 72 pin connector for a brand new one. (Since aquiring the system I've had the dreaded flashing power light deal and had to fight to get any of my games to work.)

Would this make all the games work better? Ok stupid question of course it would. Would it mean Batman might work? I mean it was a used cartridge to begin with, but I should try all things before seeing about returning it or junking it. After all as was pointed out to me in this very thread NES carts do tend to last. Replacing the pin connector shouldn't be too hard right? I mean if I've never done it before and I follow that sites instructions clearly and properly it will be simplicity itself. Right?

Perhaps I should explain the symptoms, the Batman game seemed to be working after a few tries. I was playing alright then halfway through the stage the background completely changed looking like glitched out jibberish and impossible to determine what was a platform and what wasn't. Is that indicative of a serious problem or is it simply a result of dirty connection points and a screwy system? Because if it still won't work then I could just take it back now and save me a hassle later. Right?

9. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Basic sciens. ( excuse all spelling errors)

Metal gets corrosion; ( I think its called in englinsh) after time old NES games might have a problem with that on thier connector at the bottom. What you can do is to clean it. In Sweden we use chemical clean gas. It is a liqid you buy at the supermakrt, its good for anumber of things but it works for cleaning NES carts. I dont know but you probably have something else in the US that someone here knows about. This cleanes away corrosion and dirt from the carts connector and this helps in 9/10 cases.

I have cleaned so many NES games in my last 10 years its insane and most of them I get to work. There are even more extrem ways of cleaning them but I dont know how to explain that in english.

so try cleaning the cart piece that is showing a couple of times on both side and try again.

10. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

All the local comic shops usually have a good handful each

11. Scrapper6

Too true, it's amazing what you can find on Youtube. After watching a video on replacing the Pin Connector I decided to use the guys advice and clean with Windex, since I have that lying around the house in abundance. Turns out after a good cleaning I got Batman to work on my second try. So far Batman was the most corroded compared to my other titles and I only have four at the moment. Hopefully way more.

I stupidly took the NES apart to see how the thing works if I ever do replace the connector and missed a crucial step when I put it back together again, talk about one small problem turning into a big a$$ frustration.

So now I can challenge myself to beat Batman. (Beat Adventures of Lolo this morning, now to find the sequels, hope it won't be too difficult.)
    Goes to show when you use common sense things turn out for the best, good thing too cause both of those titles set me back 35$ (Picked up a second controller too.) I don't know where you could buy old NES games for under 5$ I mean everyone selling them at the Flea Market I checked out started the lowest at 7$ and it only went up from there. I got a deal too since Lolo was originally 25$ and Batman 12$ with the spare controller 7$. (Lolo still had the box which is why I guess they chose to charge so much.) After all nowadays everybody is in to retro gaming. Can't wait to see if I can score some more goodies this weekend. But you know after finding out about the cleaning trick it kind of makes me wish I hadn't sold the three Double Dragon titles I had a few years back.

12. Scrapper6

UGH, why would a game work just fine then after you take it out and put it back in you get Sprite Errors? Batman was working fine and dandy after I cleaned it, I tested another game to make sure the system wasn't screwy and to see the results of game cleanage then when I put Batman back in and put it on again recently the Batman character Sprite is all screwy. Is it the Pin Connector, the System, the game cartridge? What causes game glitches and what should I do about it?

13. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Been looking at misb NES games (mostly AFA graded) in one of those Brians Toys catalogs and holy sheit...

Metroid $800, Mega Man2 $600, Wrecking Crew $1,200, Aero Fighters $2500, Mario's Time Machine $4,000

14. Scrapper6

WTF no way in hell am I paying 600$ just to get Mega Man II, I already have the Anniversary Collection and just wanted the cart to see if I could beat it as easily on Nintendo with out all the frills of the AC. And even if I did buy Metroid or one of those others who in the hell in their right mind would pay that much? You could probably find a used copy at a pawn shop or such for between 5-25$ depending on the greed of the owner and the condition of the game. So why pay crazy prices for MISB? Although if I'd known how expensive they would have become as a kid I would have gotten a game and kept it sealed just for the cash alone.

15. MST3KFan

MST3KFan Master of the Obvious

Brian's Toys has such insane prices because they're charging for MIB/factory sealed video games as odd as that sounds. I mean, whom buys video games and doesn't open them and play them? They're considered 'collectables' accroding to Brian's Toys, but seriously...whom collects video games to keep sealed in plastic and never play them?

I've gotten a lot of old NES, SNES, and Genesis games from a few stories selling them used. I still need a few for each system, but I'm not gonna go crazy finding them. I will say though, for what is the most expensive games to buy nowadays is mostly RPG games.

Earthbound, for example goes for some serious money nowadays. I lucked out on my copy way back when the SNES was still in Best Buy and they were getting rid of Earthbound for $4.99. Seriously. The big box with strategy guide and game. I also have Suikoden 2 for PSX which seems to go insanely pricey now and I also have that game's strategy guide.

16. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

probably the same people who buy toys and never open them...

17. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

mario rpg only works on a real snes unfortunately... :( 

18. Scrapper6

Then a real SNES may be what I need to buy. How much harder is it to get the newer SNES version with the newer design? My original SNES got busted because I forgot to shut the power off a few times before ejecting the game cartridges causing that little bar thing that slide out from the inside to get bent. Leastwise I think that's why it stopped working right.

19. MikeTSI

MikeTSI The Reclaimer TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Scrapper6,

Man, I got a crapload of old NES games in a box in the closet I'll sell you cheap. I don't think there are any big name titles though. I'll dig them out and work on a list. Let me know if your interested.

Mike

20. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    not the same thing ;)  (imo)

yeah scrapper, sometimes games requier additional cleaning but it sounds as your machine needs to be fixed.

When cleaning use a cue-tip (correct spelling? ) and you will see all the green stuff that comes off. Once nothing more comes off then the corrosion would be gone.

Good luck and prices are insane in Sweden aswell for NES and SNES game. Its hard to get them especially if you want a complete one with box and bok and the black insert.