What's the difference in the 2 Masterpiece Rodimus Primes?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Rodimus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I know that's an old comment but I lol'd. Touche!

I remember saying a while back that it wouldn't surprise me if they re-visited a complete Rodimus Prime, if MP10 sells well in the West, with his trailer. Also would expect the nailed on upcoming MP Ultra Magnus to be complete too.

2. mfic99us

mfic99us Stunticon

Ebay:
    I have the Hasbro version and while fiddling with it, I realized I wanted the trailer to display in battlestation mode.

What are people's thoughts on the V2 Takara Rodimus? Do the updates/tweaks promised in this version bring it up the quality of the Hasbro release, or is it still more of a 'flawed' figure?

3. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:

Apparently slightly less flawed than the Hasbro one..... it doesn't appear to have the same fairly common issue with the pinnned area at the shoulders disintegrating.

4. Grneclipse9902

Grneclipse9902 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I haven't had a Takara version in my hand, but from the many reviews and boards talking about it, the Hasbro version seems to be the best out of the three. Apparently Hasbro's version has better shoulder articulation, the rear leg clips hold in better, and the backpack issue was resolved. Sucks it doesn't come with the trailer, I had to buy the trailer separately.

5. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Sucks that a 'Masterpiece' figure should have any batch QC issues at all.

6. mfic99us

mfic99us Stunticon

Ebay:
    Thanks guys! I was thinking of just picking up the trailer too but darn it if the paint deco on the Takara is slick. The white hands and face, the forearm highlights, and the black shin panel makes himm look so clean. I think I'll have to make the plunge and go for it. Here's to hoping I find one at a good price;) 

I agree about the QC issues on a Masterpiece figure. So far the only one I've owned that I have been able to fiddle with and transform with out having an anxiety attack (I am looking at you Megs-just kidding I love you!!!!:) ) is the AL-originAL Hasbro MP01. Thing is a frickin' brick, and I love it!

For the most part they were intended as collector's items/display pieces rather than toys, and therefore treated more along the lines as an interactive, posable resin statue of sorts. On the other hand broken out the box or anything causing you to be fearful of interacting with said item is unacceptable.

7. wildfly

News Credits:
    I have V1, V2, and TRU, and your claims aren't that accurate.

8. Grneclipse9902

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Like I said, I'm going off of what I read, not my opinion. You don't have to be a dick about it.

9. Genetic

Genetic Morg Than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    He's said he doesn't own it, he's asking for advice and saying it seems that the Hasbro one is the best and your very best advice is that he's wrong?

[​IMG]

How about actually advising him then?

Personally I only have the Hasbro version and the backpiece on it is crap. It can be turned around to hold better but the whole toy feels very cheap and almost bootleg quality. Unless you absolutely have to have it, I'd just spend the money on something else entirely.

10. Grneclipse9902

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have the Hasbro version, and have no problems with it, save for the rear left leg panel that likes to pop off. I love mine, as far as I know it's an improvement of the first Takara version. I'd like to own a 2nd version, but it's increasingly difficult and expensive to find. That's why I had to settle for someone selling the trailer separately because their 2nd version Rodmius broke. But maybe I got lucky with my Hasbro version, I bought it second hand, and have messed with it to no end, and it's fine.

11. mfic99us

mfic99us Stunticon

Ebay:
    Well said:) 

True, nothing really feels like it fits snugly in place on my Hasbro version. Right now I am refocusing my collection on G1 and Masterpiece so getting my hands on this guy would be something I'd want to complete that. But doing a quick look at some of the online retailers seems they are asking way too much, even for the 1st Takara release (the one loaded with QC issues). Might hold off on it, see if I can't work out a deal with a board member in the future.

12. mfic99us

mfic99us Stunticon

Ebay:
    Yeah I heard some reports of people removing him from the twist ties to find a detached limb or two from the Hasbro release. Seems weird finding out while unboxing since having him displayed in a clear plastic container would be a dead give away of parts coming loose. Have to thank my lucky stars I grabbed a winner off the shelves first try!

Outta curiousity, how much did you fork over for the trailer?

13. Grneclipse9902

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The cheapest 1st version I've seen is $175 at a local collectors show. The vendor said he believed it was a 2nd version, but seemed uninterested and bored rhetoric of his answer made me doubt his answer. Hence my original question. But armed with the knowledge of the date stamp, I dare hope that it truly is a 2nd version.

That vendor also had a MP Megs for the same price. Outside box had corner wear, but for the price, it doesn't bother me.

The trailer ran me a crispy Franklin, half the cost of the figure. It was the only one I've seen separate, and I couldn't pass it up. It was practically brand new.

14. wildfly

News Credits:
    Read more. There have been enough comments about the shoulder joints on the TRU version disintegrating that it could not conclusively be stated as better made.

...and in your case, read post 23. But congrats nonetheless on reminding what I put in bold

Maybe you drew a short straw on yours, but seems like an overstatement to me, and casual profanity doesn't really add much to it.

15. Grneclipse9902

News Credits:
    Ebay:

16. wildfly

News Credits:
    First Version of MP9 would seem to have a wider *range* of potential faults.

- Weapons not tabbing into fists.
    - Springs uncoiling at the ankles.
    - Chest tab not tabbing properly (this one as far as i can tell was never actually fixed at all?)
    -Alignment problems in alt mode.
    -Shin panels popping off
    -Backpack doesn't tab on some.

(I may have missed one or two?)

The Hasbro version went a good way towards fixing most of those substantially, if not entirely.... but the joints at the shoulders crumbling seems to be a new one

But based on the one i have, it still has slight alignment problems in alt mode. the backpack tabbing issue is improved, but still not quite right.

MP9V2..... in my experience, caught everything except the chest tab, and even if you have a V1, that seems to be fixable with a small dab of glue.

I'd contend that whilst the Hasbro one is a substantial improvement on the first run of MP9.... It still left room for improvement.

17. Grneclipse9902

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Lol, it seems most figures out nowadays have plenty of room for improvement.

18. Acidophilus

Acidophilus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MP-09 is a very ambitious figure, and the engineering is impressive. I've owned the V1, TRU, and V2 versions.

My V1 had most of the regular QC problems, then after a couple years(transformed maybe twice the entire time),the arm broke off at the joint that pin connects it to the chest. The first V2 I purchased had a broken windshield hinge, and several stress-marks right out of the box. The replacement V2 came in good condition, but had a stress-marks after one transformation, I'll use a hairdryer on that soon.

My TRU version has some paint chipping off on the windshield hinge area, but other than that is good.

After my experience with three versions of the mold, I think the most predominate problem is that the figure, and it's transformation relies on so many thin hinges, and tabs, and tight clearances. It looks great in all modes, but transforming it is more scary than fun.

Overall, I would recommend Takara's V2, or Hasbro's version depending on your personal preference(mostly colors). Just be sure to buy from a seller, or store that you can have it replaced if there are any problems. Then no matter what version you choose just be careful when transforming it.

Check the later pages on the main feedback thread for plenty of information about the differences between V1, and V2: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...masterpiece-rodimus-prime-rodimus-convoy.html

19. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  20. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    My Takara MP Convoy and Grimlock are both flawless QC.

Starscream (stress marks on some parts ), Megatron (arm sheared apart) and Ultra Magnus (foot keeps popping off) all have issues. Rodimus... well lets just say I don't want to test his QC issues.