What's the difference in the 2 Masterpiece Rodimus Primes?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Rodimus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

Apperently there is a newer version of the Takara version Rodimus Prime which is listed Rodimus Prime "version 02". They say it's "To fix the flaws of the first wave release". What's the difference in version 02, and what flaws does the Takara Masterpiece Rodimus Prime have?

2. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When it's releasead, i'll let you know, until then there's nothing but conjecture. However, we can assume that the Hasbro release will have the same QC fixes. I can't imagine HasTak shelling out for three distinct moulds.

3. xion14

xion14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The main fix is the leg panels that could break off easily in the first release.

4. fun15power

fun15power Well-Known Member

I've seen Hasbro's MP Rodimus Prime. It's looks a lot better than Takara's. More colors and no useless trailer. I hope Hasbro's Rodimus Prime transforms better than Takara's. I had a hard time changing the first one into car mode. Some parts wouldn't connect properly in place.

5. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    not making any comment to the quality or preferable look or mold quality…how does it have more colours?
    [​IMG]

6. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    There's been some discussion about whether or not there have been design changes to accommodate the larger matrix in his chest or if there are two matrices in the box. People who have the TT version already have claimed it's impossible to alter that storage space in his chest, but nothing on the box says anything about two matrices. There's just a picture of the large matrix on the side with the words "Matrix stores in chest" or something to that effect. It will be interesting to me to see how that plays out.

7. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    He asked about qc. Not our opinion on colors or the trailer.

8. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Ugh, it's only when you put them up against each other like that you are really able to see how astoundingly shit the Hasbro version looks.

Sadly the mold flaws ruin the Takara figure, so... Such a damn shame. :redface2: 

9. F18Starscream

F18Starscream Commander of the Skies

News Credits:
    I just want him. Didn't get the chance to buy him first time around. I'll worry about the qc issue when I pick him up at the store.

10. JazzBot95

JazzBot95 Well-Known Member

^Same.

That said, Takara's Rodimus is accurate to the G1 Animation model while Hasbro's Rodimus stems from Rodimus' original toys.
    Depending on what you prefer really. By all means pick up the Hasbro version if you don't care about cartoon accuracy or like his toy deco better. And if you jsut want to own the mold in general
    (And don't wait on it like I did with Grimlock. I regret it so much not getting him last year. Now he's expensive as all heck)

11. Cliffbee

Cliffbee Well-Known Member

The difference between the two is that one shall stand, one shall fall.

12. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From the Allspark.com, QFT:

Written by NightViper
    Monday, 13 June 2011

F-FIX ME!!! Allspark Member SwiftEagle obtained a replacement Masterpiece MP-09 Rodimus Convoy from TakaraTomy last weekend. To his surprise, there were tooling differences between the replacement and his original. Are these signs of what are to come with the "Mp-09 Rodimus Prime Second Version"?

Read the list below for the differences:
    * The backpack/spoiler holds in place much better (though there's still no solid clipping-on).
    * The right hand hole holds the rifle tab firmly, even in combined mode. The left hand is loose, but some fiddling with the thumb gets it to holds the gun in place well.
    * The ankle springs no longer uncoil during transformation.
    * The hands fit fully inside the forearms when using the saw or welder.
    * The side leg panel is now held on by what looks like a pop-off metal and plastic pin instead of the original unremovable (and fragile) pin. It's much looser, but stays in place in both modes.
    * The spoiler still scrapes in the trailer, but since only the robot was exchanged, maybe they're altering the trailer slot instead.
    * The shin panels still don't tab in place well under the car mode.

Actual link: The Allspark: Transformers News Movie Comics Animated - Mp-09 Rodimus Prime Second Version Details?

13. amethysted

amethysted Well-Known Member

I didnt want to spend to much on the Takara release. So I skipped it. I dont need a Rodimus with a trailer on my shelves...

I'll pick up the Hasbro version, though. It'll be cheaper and I wont have to worry about storing a trailer in my closet!

The arms look better on Takara. Both have chrome...

Otherwise, I like the Hasbro orange and legs look awesome to me!

It's basically an MP Hot Rod... I think that name is taken, though...

Plus we get a sweet targetmaster (who will go to another TF in my display).

I'll buy one from TRU as soon as its on the website.

14. apooh812

apooh812 Well-Known Member

$200 vs $70 ... I can't justify paying more than twice the amount for the same mold with more colors and a useless traitor.

15. Rodimus

I just wished the Hasbro version actually had a lighter colored face and yellow painted wrists (like you see in the Takara version) because it looks dull and bland without those details. If it had them I might consider that version, but as a die hard Hot Rod / Rodimus Prime fan, I think I'm leaning on the Takara version if they actually did fix the problems it was having. The trailer does matter to me because it's what makes Rodimus Prime, Rodimus Prime. I find it stupid Hasbro is calling their version of the figure Rodimus "Prime" but not giving him any of his qualities that truly makes him Rodimus Prime. They should've called it "Autobot Hotrod" or something like that. I'm sure that could've been copy writed. The compound word would work.

16. Rodimus

Many many thanks for that!

17. Grneclipse9902

Grneclipse9902 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What's the difference in the packaging from the first release and the second? If there is any discernible difference, I see a lot out there in collectors shows and such, but none of the vendors can seem to tell me if it's the first or second version.

18. daddytron

daddytron Your mom is an oversized CHUG

There is an embossed serial number on the bottom of the box. 6-7 characters. The first release starts with an A and the improved version starts with an H.

19. Grneclipse9902

Grneclipse9902 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Awesome, thanks!

20. grymg

grymg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I think the trailer is pretty badass. . . wish they would reissue him in the US with the trailer someday.