What's The Deal With Wheelie? (Fans encouraged to post!)

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Malunis_T, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Malunis_T

Malunis_T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So yeah, I've not gotten to the post-movie stuff just yet in my recent viewing of the entire US G1 series (but will be starting tomorrow!), so I have to ask - Why DO so many people hate Wheelie? It's gotta be more than the rhyming stuff.

Personally I thought at first he would be annoying, but think about it - In the course of the movie, where he first appears, he manages to tame and befriend Grimlock of all characters, is helpful in saving two key characters (one of which destroys Unicron, mind you), and plus, he's an awesome breakdancer. :D 

And on a more serious note, I recently checked out the Spotlight Wheelie comic, being the first time I check out the comics, and I really had more respect for him because of it. It took what I thought was a really unserious character, and gave him depth and a very dark background, where he then transitions to a happy and peaceful Autobot living in the wild. It was a beautiful ending.

So, what am I missing? Is he super-annoying in the show? Can't be as bad as some of the other characters in G1, I'm sure. I did read somewhere that in the Headmasters (or some other spinoff G1 series), he became a bit of a rude and jerky character, but I don't know anything about that.

Please feel free to share your opinions on why you hate him. Or, also, I encourage people to say why they like him. :)  I haven't seen all there is to see of him, but right now, I'd consider myself a fan of the character.

I think he has a nice design (which was a little crude in the toy version, but check out Jizai Toys' figure for him, wow!), the rhyming is something I like, and I would really like to make my own rendition of him sometime, not just my previously mentioned Animated concept.

Let's keep this nice and mature, yes? :) 

2. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

If he was more like the IDW version, and looked more like the new Universe toy of him, I would've loved Wheelie. And that's how I'm pretty sure everyone thinks. But lets not Wheelie hate, people! Not when there's plenty of Professor Princess and BM Nightscream for everyone to hate!

3. Sideways

Sideways Banned

Wheelie's just annoying.

4. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

i never hated him, besides his voice..the sound of his voice that is

5. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He's cool, in fact, I'd say he's better than alot of other G1 characters such as that goddamned G1 Blurr and Shrapnel, Shrapnel.

6. antapp

antapp Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Shrapnel's cool!!!

7. Tela_Tran2

Tela_Tran2 AUTOBOT MAIN FRAME

You don't hate him, and wouldn't want something bad to happen to him but he's like your best friends annoying little brother that won't go away.

8. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    He was the Jar-Jar Binks of Transformers. That, and he always rhymed.

9. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

He had a cool bio. Too bad Hasbro screwed him the way they did. I'm really hoping for a cool incarnation of Wheelie in Animated.

10. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    No, that's about it: the sound of his voice and the rhyming stuff.

11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

The rhyming in and of itself wouldn't have been that bad since we had other cartoon characters at the time who were into the rhyming thing like GI Joe's Road Block.

Ouch but just so many annoying factors to the character, the push to make him some sort of cute character, and all the other factors combined into something I just hated. If they had taken out the cute crap then maybe he would have been okay, but the cute factor just crossed a line into I can't stand the guy territory.

12. AMG

AMG Old School

I've hated Wheelie since I was a kid and saw him for the first time in the movie theater. Everything about the character disgusts me. I don't even own his toy, and have no desire to do so in the future.

I didn't realize so many other TransFans hated him too until the Internet flourished.

13. underwear-ninja

underwear-ninja Eats Gobots for breakfast

Its mostly his voice and childishness overall. They sorta made him, and I hope this doesn't offended anyone, retarded. After the movie he didn't do anything really that useful on a regular basis, plus he became something of a main character. If he was just on the show on occasion or more of a background character, probably would've worked out better.

Sadly that's not the case and its been 20-something years without much redemption. On the plus side he at least has a cool animation model and the IDW comics have a good design.

14. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I think most dislike comes from S3 where he was a "Junior Bumblebee" type, along with Daniel the duo really brought the show down to a very young child level IMHO. Now, I'm not saying S1 and S2 were high art or mature shows, but they seemed to be pretty clearly aimed at 6-12 year olds and managed to be entertaining without treating the audience like outright imbeciles. Spike was a teenager with Bumblebee, who may have been kid friendly, but wasn't a useless lump of a character either; he had his roles to play. Season 3 on the other hand, replaced teenage Spike with very young Daniel (6-8?) and bumbling Bumblebee with Rhyming Wheelie. The result was the show seemed suddenly to be aimed at even younger kids, appealing to 3-6 year olds, and not the bright 6 year olds. While Bumblebee was a Scout and Autobot Officer, Wheelie wasn't really anything other then generic kid robot involved with things he had no business being involved in. Now, while Wheelie was not responsible for the "dumbing down" of the Transformer franchise, in a lot of ways, all that resentment gets aimed at him, since he was on the screen so often doing things that were borderline retarded. In addition, he was the only primary character to have a bizarre speach pattern, all the rest who had such goofy aspects were secondary characters, further singling him out for irratation.

There's also some "guilt by association" for Dinobot fans. Up to that point the Dinobots were portrayed as extremely powerful, competant warriors who may not have been super intelligent, but were determined and standoffish. After befriending Wheelie, many Dinobot fans saw that as a turning point in the franchise; from that point on out the Dinobots were a joke. No longer standoffish, they were the Autobot pets who were even dumber then before. Grimlock went from someone who would save the day with his strength and instincts, then point out to Optimus that he had to once again save the day to someone who needed a 6 year old to tell him what to do and followed said child around like a puppy, as part of the series dumbing itself down. Since Dinobot fans usually hate S3 Grimlock and the Dinobots, and there seems to be a pretty clear turning point when they met Wheelie, Wheelie gets the blame.

Wheelies tech spec bio is rather cool, and his recent Spotlight was also rather good. Wheelie can be a great character, but the way he was portrayed in the cartoon was a complete waste of time.

15. Malunis_T

Malunis_T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I see... wow. Thank you, Pravus - You've provided exactly what I needed to know. :) 

Somehow I knew the Dinobots had something to do with the hate. But mainly because the moment they encountered each other, Grimlock goes "Me Grimlock DON'T LIKE YOU!" . . . Though, not all fans would follow a character's word that closely. XP

If it's mainly the show where his hate comes from, I think it's pretty minor - As much as I like the G1 and G2 shows, I consider them a just-for-fun series. The more I watch it, the more I can see it just being one huge advertisement for the toys. "Hey, look at what my gun can do!" and the like basically translates to "Hey kids, this is what you can do with me when you buy my toy!"

Anyway, thanks for the post - It tells me what I should do when making my own Wheelie.

16. Starscream2008

Starscream2008 Megatron sucks!

I don't really mind Wheelie. Somebody has to stay back and guard the base.

17. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    Only thing I don't really like about him is the high voice.
    I like the rhyming.

His only portrayal/fictional appearance I don't really like him in is Headmasters.
    He doesn't rhyme, and is a horrible role model for Daniel.

18. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't like Wheelie, and at the same time I like him. He is kinda a mixed bag, and I really don't mind him.

Or Jar Jar Binks.

*avoids gunshots*

19. thundrwaveprime

thundrwaveprime the witch king

i don't know why everyone hates wheelie. the ryming has to be his only flaw (plus his squiky voice). other than that, he's ok.

20. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Personally, I don't have a problem with Wheelie. Once in a great while, that rhyme-speak gets annoying, but I don't hate him. He's just not my favorite character, if you know what I mean.