Whats the deal with the achievements/trophies on RPGs?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Recall, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Especially J-RPGs??

You have a game that it is gonna take 60-100 hours to complete, and instead of that being enough, if you want to s-rank the game you have to spend 250+ hours. That's waaaaaay too much.

I'm currently playing White Knight Chronicles and to get 30%+ in trophies it will take forever. So long in fact that I just can't be arsed with continuing. There isn't even a trophy that will show people i've beat the final boss. :crazy: 

I can understand making short games longer, but to make long games take longer to finish is absurd. I know its my own fault being cursed with achievement/trophy love but damn you JRPGs, damn you to hell :mad 

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, heheh, you're obsessed buddy. Don't put too much value in them, and you'll be happy again.

Come in here and say, "I beat WKC" and we'll congratulate you and aknowledge your real achievement :) 

3. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    I'm looking at you Star Ocean.

I put in like 150+ hrs and still only got like 50% complete:( 

4. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I actually despise that publishers award trophies/achievements for simply progressing naturally in a game.

Of course I made it to level 3, why the eff do you think I'm playing the game?!

5. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    I like those trophies, they chronical how far you got in the game and allow you to compare your progress with your friends without necessarily asking/spoiling anything about the game.

I actually think that progress marker trophies are some of the better ones out there. They make good sense in that the first few levels give low level trophies, while finishing the game is usually a gold trophy.

Besides, it's not like even half or a third of the trophies are dedicated to that purpose.

At any rate, I just got 100% on Final Fantasy 13. Most rewarding Platinum run I've made. Others being Bayonetta and Prince of Persia.

6. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I personally like achievements for just playing through a game. I mean, beating a boss or a level or the whole game should be and achievement, right? Beyond that, they should give you incentive to play through a couple times, but I've played very few games where that's the case. Resident Evil 5 awarded you mostly through doing everything in the game, but that was a task easily done in under 30 hours, and that seemed fine to me. No reason to force players into playing for 100+ hours to get their achievements.

Achievements can give me a little incentive to play a game I REALLY like some more, but I won't break my back to get them, nor will I play more of a mediocre game for them. Afterall, if you really want to be an achievement junkie, play some kids games where you can get all 1000 in under 10 hours, which I know my friend who has well over 120,000 achievement points does.

Some other ridiculous achievements I can recall is a good number of GTA 4's, like killing the pigeons, and Gears of War 2's kill 100,000 enemies. Let's just say that I've played through the campaign several times, and played a TON of horde mode, and still only have just above 15,000 kills.

7. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Killing the final boss of a game is an achievement though, you've completed the game. I'm not asking for easy achievements, just less of those that need you to grind forever.

250+ hours for less than 30% doesn't scream odd to you?

8. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Depends on how good at the game you are. Is 250 hours a good players average to unlock those types of achievements? Is it simply because you missed getting those rewards while playing through the game and now have to retrace your steps to get to those rewards?

And end boss/end of game award is a-ok with me. But I don't need to see the little pop-up after every single level or level-up that I get, as many games do. I'm not really into trophies/achievements to begin with, but I do appreciate a game that awards you more for your thoroughness of playing or for your ability to progress in unconventional or impressive ways.

9. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    I have to agree with this. There are some games that I play because I enjoy them, not for sake of getting trophies. There are times that I'm amazed at the amount of grinding it would take just to get them, and I don't see how some people do it. I can understand it when you are looking for a weapon or items that will help you in the game, but other than that........

10. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Disgaea 3...

LoL.

Anyone who's played deep into post-game knows what I mean.

11. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think I like it most when games reward you for exploration and completing tasks that you would normally want to do even if there were no achievements. Like with Fallout 3, they give you an achievement for getting all the bobbleheads- it's not an easy task, it takes time and exploration, but I wanted to do it because they actually increase your stats. So, the achievement I got for it was just a little perk. However, killiing all the pigeons really gets you nothing worthwhile, just the achievement. Same with killing 100,000 enemies in Gears of War 2- you MIGHT get that achievement for mass amounts of playing it, but its doesn't get you anything but the achievement.

Developers really need to just realize the amount of time they are asking for their achievements and try to balance it. I heard FF11 has achievements for getting the highest level in each class- a feat that takes hundreds of hours. If a game takes 10 hours to beat, I can understand the achievements adding another 10 or so hours. If a game is 60 hours long, like a lot of J-RPGS, they really shouldn't make you invest hundreds of hours more just for that.

12. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Isnt there one for Gears 2 where you have to play 2000 matches?
    Unless its something really easy and fun, I'll never go out of my way to get 100%.
    E-peen points have never been something that concerned me.

Stuff like the 'Reach level x with good/bad karma' in Fallout 3 I just skipped.
    After putting 200+ hours into my playthrough, starting a new save file just feels pointless.

I also saw one in Feeding Frenzy for playing for 10 hours. I like Feeding Frenzy, but I think it'll take me a good year or so to get that much play time on it.
    Hell, I've only logged 20 hours into Modern Warfare 2 and I've had that for 6 months now.

13. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Part of the problem is that the console makers have now made it mandatory to have achievements / trophies in every game regardless of the intent of the developer. So while the dev might have not really had trophies in mind from the beginning, they have to find ways to incorporate them in. Adding a percentage of them for normal progress makes the job easier when finding ways to fit them into the game.

14. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    It drives me batty when i 100% a game months ago then a cheap DLC hits and makes it impossible to complete.

I'm looking at you Dragon Age and your Darkspawn chronicles/Traveler glitch.

Mass 2 left me with one left.

Ranking ones piss me off too.(see ROTF)

15. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

When it comes to easy ass achievements for an RPG...Oblivion FTW!

16. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

I'll be one of the few to stand up for difficult achievements (even though I hate them and rarely do them too), they're not much of an "achievement" if you can get all of them on just one play through of the game. Sure, stuff like all these "get all the items" or "beat super impossible boss" achievements suck hard, but they really are quite an achievement.

A friend of mine had a decent idea. 500 points (or half the trophies) for a game should be standard play through, and the other 500 should be all the extra stuff. I don't fully agree with him, but i'm sure it would make a lot more people happy. It does suck to beat a game and barely have any points (I'm looking at you, FEAR and DMC 4, even if you aren't RPGs).

17. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I'm not wanting easy achievements, just an J-RPG where playing for 100 hours is considered enough.

18. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

It could be worse, it could be like World of Warcraft's achievement system, where you're punished and not given achievements if 1 person out of 25 screws up. Or an achievement that relies on a random number generator. Or an achievement that takes a year to complete AND involves multiple random number generators.

After that game, Xbox 360 achievements are a blessing.