What's the deal with "kids only like good guys"?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NGW, May 21, 2011.

1. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I dunno about you but even as a kid I always preferred the bad guys. They usually looked cooler/were cooler in the show. I'd much rather have had a bunch of badass bad guys and a few good guys for them to beat up on.

Or even if kids do prefer good guys, they'd still need bad guys to beat up on, I mean the hell are the good guys gonna do without villains, fight eachother?

Honestly the only real explanation I can see that fits is parents (at least moms, I doubt most dads would do the same) would rather buy good guys for their kids than bad.

2. iamamachine

iamamachine colonyofcells

News Credits:
    My friend only bought the good guys for her kids. There is also more profit to be made from product placements in the good guy toys and in the good guy car models in the movies.

3. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    Yep, parents. They'll almost always buy a "good guy" first, then buy a "bad guy" for the former to beat up.

4. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me, even as a kid, I liked characters I respected and admired and wented to emulate. Plus, most media shows the heroes winning and the badguys losing, so why would you rather have a loser? I still wanted some just to have enemies for my goodguys, but I had to have the goodguys first. My parents were pretty good about listening to what I wanted for holidays, so it's not my parents fault at all.

Now I care more about the designs and aesthetics, but there is still a little of that bias in me.

5. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

This.

6. Grimlockprime16

Grimlockprime16 Me Grimlock King!

I agree this is really lame. Does hasbro really think we would buy this? I love the bad guys.

7. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    1977. 6 years old.

Walking out of "Star Wars" with my mother. She asked me who my favorite character was and was horrified to hear the joyous shout of "DARTH VADER!!!"

I like to think I got in on the ground floor.

8. Suchus Prime

Suchus Prime Well-Known Member

It depends what form of media these good guys are from. In the movieverse the bad guys are pretty much all generics with no characterization so it's hard for kids to like them (when's the last time you saw a kid say "Blackout is my favorite transformer"). I for one like the autobots more and therefore have more autobots from the movievere but that's mainly because they have a wider range of alt modes, colors, and designs while the decepticons are always dark in color, look really sharp, and turn into some sort of vehicle we are not familiar with (helicopter, tank, cybetronian stuff).

9. Wheeljack94

Wheeljack94 Autobot Lycan

News Credits:
    1999, 5 years old

to this day, darth maul is the single reason why my favorite color is red. i love that guy. a double bladed lightsaber? i mean thats so iconic.

10. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    I always liked the bad guys more, but i admit this isn't the most common thing (nothing to feel special about, neither)

Maybe a poll about this would be interesting, if just for fun.

11. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Yeah I'd say it's at least partly a case of parental preference rather than kid preference.

Although I do remember when I was very young, my first exposure to TF fiction was one of the old ladybird books. After that Optimus Prime and Bumblebee were the two transformers I wanted most, followed by Jazz and Hound. Maybe as a child we're wired to look for friendly faces. I think that's probably more true when you're at some ages than others.

12. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Yeah, should have attached a poll, didn't even think to.

Any chance a mod can do so?

13. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

I've always liked the bad guys better. I mean, c'mon:

Megatron
    Starscream
    Insecticons
    Galvatron
    Cyclonus
    Beast Wars Megatron (F**k, yeah.)
    Waspinator
    Cobra Commander
    Serpentor
    Destro
    Skeletor

I could go on...

14. Suchus Prime

I liked the bad guys more too. In cybertron I always liked Scourge, Starscream, and Megatron the best and when I was in middle school, my friend had a leader OP and showed it off all the time so I went out, asked my grandfather too buy me leader megs, and rubbed that in his face only for us to have the two fight but that's another story (and the reason my leader megs is missing a few pieces sigh).

15. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Even when I was around 5 watching G1, megatron was always my favorite character. My mom WOULD NOT buy his toy for me :lol 

Got it many years later from the encore line. Paid much more for it, lol.

Think they toy companies know this as well. Parents would much rather see their kids with happy toys then evil ones, so the 'cons numbers are usually diminished compared to the 'bots....or in crankcase's situation neutered.

16. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

Nice! That's cool.

I'm picturing epic recess playground TF battles. Ahhhh, childhood memories, lol.

17. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

And my mom tells me that I always told her I wanted Optimus Prime and Bumble Bee. Because she asked all of us what we wanted for toys. So that shoots holes in both your suppositions.

18. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree, the movieverse Decepticons are far more alien and insect-like. They're also more fragmented and shapeless. It's harder to relate to that.

I also found a similar thing with WFC designs. Bumblebee's altmode was awesome, it was appealing and streamlined. I felt the same about most of the other autobots. Nice clear forms, and the botmode carried over the same feel. The Decepticons, much less so. Everything was far more abstract and disjointed (the glaring exception being Slipstream).

19. Suchus Prime

Yes 8th grade was full of that, nothing but Kids fighting over who was cooler. Jetfire vs Mudflap on the basketball courts while red alert, override, and hot shot try and fight crumplezone who for some reason made friends with long haul in the cafeteria.
    EDIT: How could I forget supreme starscream being brought too school for the last time by some kid named Jeffrey only for it too be thrown off the staircase because someone was getting too into it.

20. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Well gee, guess you showed me huh.

Except that having several other people say that they too preferred the villains as kids.

So the blanket statement we often get that "kids prefer the good guys" isn't really all that accurate.

...huh guess that shoots a hole in your supposition.