Whats the deal with Gormiti?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by VictoryLeo19, May 2, 2009.

1. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

I see a lot of these selling around where i live. Anyone gotten these yet? They remind me of battle beasts, but a little less fun. Im tempted to get some, but im wondering if its even worth it starting a new interest.

2. deceptifocus

deceptifocus *Supercharged*

Ebay:
    they look like just another money pit aimed at stealin some of the dollars from Bakugan fans

3. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Gormiti are cool, but they're definitely not for everyone. They cater more to the minifigure fans, like Battle Beasts and M.U.S.C.L.E., more than typical action figure collectors that are more prevalent around here.

Gormiti has been around for around four years, give or take some months. It's been incredibly popular in Italy, where they originate, and slowly spread throughout Europe. The UK only got them towards the end of 2007, and aside from test markets we've just gotten them this year. There are many sets that have yet to reach us, so the US has a lot of catching up to do. Gormiti also have a game using the cards and random point values on the bottom of the figures, but DO NOT buy it for that. Anyone older than five is too old to bother playing that "game."

If you like the sculpts, give them a shot. These days a two-pack is more affordable than Robot Heroes, and the four-packs, an even better deal, each include one of the larger Lords from each elemental tribe. If you're not buying them expecting some compelling gameplay or articulation, you should be fine.

Oh, duh, almost forgot to mention. I myself am a Gormiti collector, very close to completing my US set as a matter of fact, and I also own a selection of some Italian stuff and a few from the UK Series 1 run. So any other questions you might have, I'll be glad to answer.

4. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    The only reason they were made was to compete with Bakugan.

5. Crown_Athlete

Crown_Athlete Well-Known Member

Shelf fillers, just like Bakugan and Power Rangers.

6. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    my freind has a fair few... but then he's the sort who will collect anything

7. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Yes, that's absolutely it! The fact that Gormiti were created in Italy and existed two years before Bakugan were even conceived doesn't mean squat, because they HAVE to be Bakugan ripoffs!

8. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Rooks Gang Leader

News Credits:
    Bakugan is more or less like Bey Blade... where Gormiti is much like Battle Beasts.

And, there are many fans of both toylines here, no need to bash people for it.

9. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Got any pics of stuff the US has yet to get?

10. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

yes i would be interested to see some non US released stuff too! i noticed some clear or cystal molds on ebay that i havent seen in stores. as well as some black painted figures that ive seen in stores but not on card backs, so im a little interested. i just get nervous about collecting new things, because i decided not to collect "dead" lines a year or two ago, and i am interested to know if this line will go on for much longer, thanks!

11. netkid

News Credits:
    Alright, crystal ones, black ones, now this is REALLY staring to sound like a Battle Beasts ripoff.

12. Crown_Athlete

Crown_Athlete Well-Known Member

I'm not bashing anyone.

13. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

I'll definitely be buying some of these when they inevitably go on clearance.

14. Opticron Primal

News Credits:
    Well excuse me for not having the same knowledge of Gormiti as you do.

15. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

This to the power of x10!

16. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Reading comprehension would suffice. I brought it up before you posted.

Gormiti | Gormiti Club

The series that we have in the US is not the same as Italy's Series 1. Ours (and the UK's) is actually the figures from Energheia, which are the same characters but with improved and larger sculpts. Use the arrows at the top to navigate between the various sets.

There are also two newer sets, Cartoon and Elemental Fusion, based on the Gormiti animated series, but they're not pictured on that website. When it's working again, I can also point you in the direction of some great image threads on the Little Rubber Guys forum.

I don't understand how crystal and black figures means it's ripping off Battle Beasts. There's only been one marbled figure and three or so clear figures, and they were all rare Japanese exclusives, so that doesn't make sense.

I know exactly what you're talking about though. In Italy, whenever a set was first released, it would be followed by a recolored set of the same figures. What really made them unique is that each tribe's figures had a different set of gimmicks to set them apart in another way. Earth figures, the black ones, would have parts of their bodies painted so they would glow in the dark. Volcano figures had clear parts of their bodies that changed color to a bright orange when heated, Water figures changed color when cold, and so on.

Unfortunately, the US Gormiti figures don't work that way. First of all, these special figures only appear in two-packs, so if you don't see them around, you won't notice them. Second, for whatever reason, nothing on the packaging or advertising actually mentions those figures. And finally, they don't actually possess those gimmicks now. The US Earth Tribe figures might look like they could glow in the dark, but it's not actually GITD paint. The other figures only have different-colored clear plastic for each tribe, and don't change colors. They're still not bad though, especially the clear Volcano figures.

If you want some idea of how they look, check the Atomic and Final_2 sections of that Gormiti link above.

17. Opticron Primal

News Credits:
    Ah, yes. My fault for not reading your post. Please forgive my hasty comments.

18. netkid

News Credits:
    SO BOUGHT! Color change, glow in the dark, AWESOME!:D 

:banghead:  FUCK.

19. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Rooks Gang Leader

News Credits:
    Besides, even if Gormiti were ripping off Battle Beasts, it's not like the line is still around anymore, if anything it's like a retcon, but for figures.

I'm not into Gormiti enough to collect them, but they do bring back memories of my Battle Beasts.

20. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Other then being tiny rubber-ish figures with associated elements (something a lot of collectable toys have) I don't really see the resemblence to either Battle Beasts OR Bakugan. Battle Beast's thing was having animals in armor with weapons and junk and Bakugan is a whole different can of worms. M.U.S.C.L.E., yea, I can see how there would be a resemblence, but it's no more so then any other tiny collectable rubbery figure toyline out there.