What's the chance we'll see...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Viper08, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Viper08

Viper08 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    On retail here in the states the cassettes reissues (I mean like at Walmart or Target, etc.), i din't wanna buy Hound just to get Ravage (I already did this just to get Dirge at Target). i really would like to get me a copy of Ravage and some of the others.
    Any thoughts?

2. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    I doubt these will hit US retail. It's almost like an accesory pack at this point and Hasbro has little interest in anything other than movie and Animated.

3. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    Slim to none. Hasbro seems to have no interest in reissuing the G1 cassettes for some reason(barring the Ravage/Laserbeak included with TRU Soundwave). Just get the Encores when they come out or just buy vintage. Most of them can be obtained reasonably enough.

4. Viper08

News Credits:
    Is the TRU Soundwave official?, if it is I'm getting one; where can i find some pics of this figure?

5. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    It already came and went. Gotta go to secondary markets to get it now. It was packaged as a "classics" figure, but was basically a Commemorative series figure.

6. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    This guy was sold about 2 years or so ago....

[​IMG]

7. Viper08

News Credits:
    Ahh, ok, I just recently stasrted collecting, so i hope htey'll re-release him sometime in the not to distant future.
    Thanks guys

8. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's not going to happen. Soundwave was a unique case to get a release at all, the Commemorative figures bombed big time in the US, and Soundwave was released under the classics banner just to get rid of them since they had already been produced and TRU was getting cold feet about it. Let's face it, there isn't a market for G1 figures in the US, and there is a healthy market for new Animated and Movie figures, so that's what will and won't be made.

As to the Cassettes, they're an even harder sell, since there isn't a "player" for them to be compatable with and once again, we've proven time and time again there's no market for G1 figures.

Unfortunately, the market has shifted, and the retailers now decide what toys get made big time and they will never pick anything that has warmed shelves or had to go on clearance, or gone on clearance and never moved. Since the Commemorative series was the latter when offered at only a single store chain, there's ample evidence that the line has practically no interest in the US.

At this point, if you want G1 figures, go with Takara's Encore series, go KO, or use secondary markets to find commemorative or original figures. I wouldn't count on 25th Anniversary line to give us a second G1 figure ever, the way 25th G1 Prime is shelf roasting will mean an end to any notions Hasbro had about any other old figures in the line and will not release a G1 or similarly old figure likely ever again (or at least not for another 25 years).

9. Movebuster

Movebuster Hiding True Intelligence

I apologize If I am hijacking the thread in any way, but what about the possibility of Takara/Tomy or Hasbro designing a new Universe Soundwave that could hold Universe Ravage or the other cassettes? I haven't made any plans to buy the Hound/Ravage combo, and I haven't heard if Music Label Soundwave can hold a cassette although I thought I saw a picture of him with his chest open. If I knew that it can I might reconsider.

10. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    I'd say the chance isn't that bad. The head guy for Universe said he wants to do Soundwave and Rhinox for the second (third?) take on Universe after the TF Movie 2 line. Prior to him saying that, though, I would've said "slim to none."

11. Cyberjet #7

Cyberjet #7 Banned

I would like to mention that I think the market for *some* G1 re-issues is actually good right now. The TRU TF Commemorative Series I think failed because it came out at the wrong time. If it were released last year or even early this year, it would still be riding the TF Movie craze and would do realy well. I think even now the 25th Ann. Prime would do great, if it were just made right.

Plus, Encore seems to be doing well. Some of their figures like Jazz and Ironhide/Racthet are "clearancing" at some online stores; but then you have Prime, Megs, Omega, and others still holding their initial retail value.

So I can't agree that G1 re-issue stuff is dead. Just has to be the right time and right way - ride the TF Movie wave and make the damn colors right!

But, unfortunately I can't see Hasbro dipping into G1 re-issues until after 2011 - sometime after the inevitable TF3 movie. And then at that time they may be thinking about doing G2 re-issues...