What's the better G1 DVD Boxset?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Retrospex, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Retrospex

Retrospex Plastiholics Anonymous

I've been looking around online it seems there is an assortment of DVD boxsets for the TF's TV series.

I have the G1 Rhino Season 1 and thought the quality was great! But seeing all these other products such as:

A 20th anniversary tin set with all the seasons in one

A wooden boxset with Chinese lettering on it

A region 2 set with Optimus' face on a silver box (front) and what seems to be 14 discs to the set

The Rhino box sets

My question is:

Which is the better set in your experience?

I was thinking of going the Rhino way but seeing that there are sets available in one shot... perhaps selling season 1 and getting these full sets should be the way to go? Or not? I am all for quality, my DVD player plays all regions and I have a PS3 (does the PS3 play all regions?)

In the long haul, I'd prefer to have quality and spend more to get it than get stuck with a whole series run of Chinese DVD's with English subtitles. ;) 

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Much thanks,
    Spe><

2. decepticon665

decepticon665 the amazing bored-man!

you'll be lucky to find the other 3 rhino volumes.otherwise,the chinese import version from tfsource is supposed to be pretty good,if pricey.

3. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

I say stick with official products when ever possible.

4. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Buy the region-free Chinese Tin Box Set. It has a remastered Picture and 5.1 stereo sound.

It has gotten expensive as of late though.

5. decepticon665

decepticon665 the amazing bored-man!

agreed.$108 on tfsource last i heard.

6. orionprime

orionprime <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Wow that is a heck of a price jump. Got mine for $35 including s&h just under 2 years ago.

7. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

Glad I got my set (in the tin) when I did. I think it was $40-$50 shipped and I got it within the last year.

FYI Retrospex - the set in the tin (with every episode from the US series) is in English, and has Chinese (?) subtitles which can be turned off. The sound on it is great. I never saw it listed as an anniversary set, but sellers might through that term into auctions just to get more people to look.

8. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    No.
    There were 5 Rhino volumes in all.

9. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Get the Rhino ones. I am thinking all the other ones are copies of them.

10. Astro-Furby

Astro-Furby N7 Destroyer

well i have the chinese set, bout last year for £23 on ebay and its great, 14 discs, the movie (with Spike swearing), and mine came with a keyring and postcards in a very sweet tin box, if you can get the tin box one cheap, i highly recommend it

11. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

I've had the Rhino sets since they came out and I've been happy with them. My friend recently got the Tin collector's set which he says is good quality. Can't say as I haven't seen it myself.

12. Optimus62

Optimus62 War For Cybertron!!!!!

I got the Tin Box Version back in April off of Ebay and got it for $75.00 (including shipping). I love it.

13. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    Even at around $100 the Chinese box set (which is licensed) is going to be cheaper than getting the other 4 Rhino volumes. Each one normally goes for around $60 a piece on eBay.

14. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got the tin box set off of amazon for $75 and the quality is great.

15. Ian_GSi

Ian_GSi Active Member

Do any of the dvd's have multipart episodes like MTMTE as a 1 episode like the old VHS tapes used to be ?

16. iron maniac

News Credits:
    Same here. Paid $40 for mine shipped. Price really skyrocketed.

17. iron maniac

News Credits:
    Also note that the Chinese tin set has a remastered(or improved) picture.

The bonus disc on the Chinese tin set actually shows a split screen comparison between the Rhino set and the tin set. The picture on the tin set is a lot brighter and more detailed. So there IS a difference in picture quality between the 2.

The funny thing is the commentary text says "ask Dr. Rhino" whenever there was a real bad frame comparaison! LOL

The 5.1 stereo sound on the Chinese set sounds great on a good system as well.

Can anyone confirm if the Rhino set is in 2.0 or 5.1 stereo for sure? I had heard the Rhino set is in 2.0 stereo but I don't know for 100% sure.

18. Rend

Rend Decepticreep Killer

I have the Chinese Tin, and I love it! The quality is great, and I can switch it to English by just hitting the audio button on my remote (if your remote has this feature). The audio is great, and I think the actual series looks better than when it was on TV 20 some years ago (probably because they remastered it). :p 

The acutal tin the movies are packaged in is great because it contains all 14 DVDs (all 4 G1 Seasons) & the unedited TF Movie, along with a Autobot keychain, and some TF postcards. This tin keeps everything organized, and cuts down on shelf space!

Even if you buy the Chinese collection for $108 off tfsource you're still getting a GREAT buy IMO.

However, I have seen this set go for way less than $108 on eBay. Here's one going for U.S. $41.35: http://cgi.ebay.com/TRANSFORMERS-DV...ihZ016QQcategoryZ2290QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

19. Retrospex

Retrospex Plastiholics Anonymous

Thanks for the help guys.

I've been looking at the prices for the Tin boxset ... and wow have they gotten expensive. I may be leaning towards the boxset though. It seems cheaper than getting the individual Rhino sets PLUS from what all the info I'm getting, (thank you guys!) the quality is cleaner and brighter. I have seen some on eBay for under $65 but of course the auctions aren't done yet. (-_-)

I got a bunch of questions for you though:

Okay... if Rhino put out the first remastered series...
    Who put the Chinese one out?

How did get the episodes better remastered than Rhino?

Anybody out there have both the Rhino and Tin Boxset? If so, what do you think is better?

Thank you so much!
    Spe><

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  20. iron maniac

News Credits:
    Licensed by a company called Pexland International

They use some sort of process that brightened the colors and took out the grain, they show the process on the bonus disc.

I don't have the Rhino set but I can do some screen grabs of the comparison screens from the bonus disc if you want.