What's the best way to remove stickers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by U.Magnus80, Sep 16, 2009.

1. U.Magnus80

U.Magnus80 Well-Known Member

I'm considering order from reprolabels new labels for my G1 Ultra Magnus and G1 Optimus Prime. What's the best way to remove the old labels without harming the plastic? Acetone?
    I work in a body shop and the paint thinner would absolutely destroy the plastic.
    Also, what's the effect of replacing the original stickers on the value of the figures? Would I be better off leaving worn original stickers or would it be all the same with "aftermarket" stickers?

2. swampflight

swampflight Banned

My method...

I use 70% rubbing alcohol because first it softens the paper and glue and then removes them without any harm to the plastic and I usually rub it on with a piece of scrap cloth(an old undershirt works perfectly).I wouldnt recommend anything higher than 70% because it will remove the paint apps.

3. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll usually peel off the stickers first, then depending on the residue:

1. Use fingernail to scrape off large spots of adhesive.
    2. Use strips of scotch tape to pick up small spots of adhesive.
    3. Use rubbing alcohol (see above) to thoroughly clean remaining adhesive.

Do not use acetone, it's way too corrosive.

It's hard to say what impact repro stickers will have on value. If you do end up selling these figures, it's going to depend on the buyer. Personally, I would much prefer a figure with mint stickers regardless of authenticity, just as long as they look good. Someone else may prefer authetic despite years of wear and aging.

4. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Peel the stickers and use Goo Gone to get rid of the residue. Do not use rubbing alcohol! It's fine on some toys but others it will strip the paint, even if you think you've wiped it all off. Better to not chance it at all.

Also, to get stickers that may overlap tight spots on the plastic, I suggest getting a plastic dental tool kit or the disposable teeth picks. Won't scratch the toy and is very helpful. I managed to find both at my local CVS.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  5. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yep just use finger nails and some warm water, not too hot or cold with q-tips or even a soft cloth has worked fine for me!

6. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    ^this^ Us Ohioans must think alike LOL

As far as I know Reprolables don't really hurt the value of a toy since it is common practice among collectors to use them, but if you sell the figure you might want to disclose the fact that you used them just in case.

7. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    A liberal dab of lighter fluid on the sticker works a treat, certainly with ancient (i.e. G1) stuff, in my experience. Bit of persuasion after and the old sticker should just peel, or flake away.

Works for getting price stickers off packaging as well (and records too, handily enough for me). Doesn't stain the card when it dries, either.

8. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I used WD-40 last time I had to remove some residue - worked fine (but I didn't get it near paint or clear plastic).

9. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

This is gospel truth-- I used goo-gone on a G1 Megatron (chrome parts and all), and it turned out great.

10. the (H)i(GH)con

the (H)i(GH)con raver-in-diguise

Apparently so, because I swear I was gonna suggest the same thing before I read his post. Go Ohio! Our sports teams may all suck, but at least we know our toys! lol

11. U.Magnus80

U.Magnus80 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips everybody

12. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I use lighter fluid. Dissolves the glue, doesn't damage the paint, doesn't affect the plastic, and evaporates in seconds leaving no trace. I've used it on God knows how many vintage Transformers & GI Joe toys with no ill effect to any of them.

13. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i use a hair dryer and heat up the label a little, so it comes off w/o leaving any residue
    dont over heat to distort, just enough so the label and plastic are warm and come off w/o any resistance