What's The Best Way To Get A Refund From An Ebay Seller?

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Mirage232, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Mirage232

Mirage232 Well-Known Member

Hi guys, I know this post is not Transformers related, but this has to do with Ebay, and I didn't really know where else to post this, plus I am getting pretty desperate at this point. I recently got gyped on Ebay with a Star Trek Motion Pictures DVD collection set. The seller had good feedback so I figured he was legit. Turns out the guy is in Canada but he shipped me the set from China, and when I got the DVDs home, I came to the conclusion that they were infact bootlegs. Poor quality DVD cases, no encryption barcodes in the center of the disc, (just the name of the movie in small letters), bad smell, and last but not least, the fact that when I play them on my Windows Media Player, the bootleg disc won't tell me the name of the movie or the chapters, I just get "unknown DVD". The worst part is that the seller advertises the set as "Authentic". The guy is obviously a crook, so I guess I would like to get some advice on how to handle this situation as best I could?

Should I contact the seller directly first, or Ebay and/or Paypal? Should I just come straight out and tell the seller that I know these are bootleg DVD's and demand my money back, or should I come come up with another reason why I don't want them? He says we will refund the buyers money if they are not happy, but won't I still get stuck with paying for the shipping and handling out of my own pocket when I send them back? Should I demand he pay for the shipping and handling charges as well? Sorry guys, I was never in this situation before, and I would appreciate any advice. :confused: 

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    File a paypal claim.

3. Slimaximus

Slimaximus Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yup file a paypal dispute NOW, they take forever and a day but you will get your money back

4. Mirage232

Do you think it's better if I go straight to Paypal without contacting the seller first? I mean if that would cover the shipping and handling charges I will most likely have to endure then I'll do that. I just want this to be as painless as possible.

The funny thing is that the guy says on his page, "100% SATISFACTION GAURNTEED", and that if there is a problem, contact him first, and not to leave him any negative feedback. :rolleyes2 

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Contact him as well if you like, it probably won't get you anywhere except even more angry. But definitely go through Paypal, then leave negative feedback once you are refunded.

6. Mirage232

Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it. I'm going to go to PayPal right now and see where this goes. Hopefully they will tell me what to do with this bootleg piece of junk as well.

It's a shame that sellers like this are around on Ebay. The scary part is that there are apparently a bunch of other buyers who bought his junk as well. When this is all said and done, I'll not only leave him negative feedback, I'll try to contact the other buyers as well. I also think I'll post his name on the bad ebay sellers list here as well, even if he doesn't sell Transformers.

7. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Contact the seller with a link to his original sale thread that states the DVDs are "authentic" and let him know that unless a full refund is given you will be filing negative feedback, a claim with ebay, and a claim with paypal.
    If he does not respond to that, then follow through. You will get your money back, and he will have problems with ebay and paypal.

8. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    If you file a Paypal claim be careful with return shipping. You MUST ship them via a trackable method, such as Priority or EMS, which will cost YOU at least $20 or $30 respectively. If the return shipping is to Canada Priority is fine but if it's to China use EMS (Priority might not be tracked in China). If you don't use a tracking method, the seller could claim he never received the returned discs, Paypal won't return your funds and there's little, if nothing, you could do. If the seller is willing to lie about the authenticity of the product then, IMO, he's equally untrustworthy for a return.

9. Mirage232

Thanks for the reminder about the tracking method. However, it sounds like I am screwed with the shipping. I still have to fork out 20 or 30 dollars out of my own pocket regardless, even if I do win the dispute or get refunded from the seller?:mad 

10. Nemesis_Dirge

Nemesis_Dirge Banned

News Credits:
    actually...paypal changed their terms of service recently....if they find in favor of a buyer on a KNOCKOFF claim...paypal will have you send the stuff to them...you will get your money back...paypal will destroy the stuff...and the seller gets SHIT ...he will not get his items back and will have the $$ removed from his account for the amount of the claim...

11. Thonor

Thonor Autosmot

I did not know that - VERY cool.

Where was this rule when I got sold a KO G1 mirage last year??:( 

12. Conboi

Conboi Active Member

I once purchased some Fred Perry shirts off ebay, and I got really bad fakes. The seller location was the UK but they were shipped from China. I contacted him first letting him know they were fakes not worth any price. The seller offered a full refund and didn't ask for the shirts back. So try asking first, but don't threaten claims or anything. If he doesn't reply or says no just start a claim with in 48 hours. If he ignores you he will ignore the claim.

13. Mirage232

Didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

14. Mirage232

That is basically what happened to me. The seller is in Canada but he shipped the DVDs from China. I decided to contact the seller last night and try to be reasonable, and he told me the same thing as the other seller told you. He offered a full refund and said I can keep the DVDs. However, he told me he was doing right away, and as of right now I still do not have a refund. I wrote back to him today to see what is going on. I'll give him one more day before I take further action. :thumbdown 

15. Conboi

Conboi Active Member

Hope he refunds with no problem, good luck man.

16. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    File a claim with Paypal for something that egregious. Don't even bother trying to "fix" it with the seller since he is clearly a crook. Paypal will take care of all of it for you.

17. Mirage232

Well, the seller finally decided to refund my money through paypal, but as of right now it still pending. So how long should I wait for this "pending" status to go to "completed"? I hope this is just an issue with Paypal and not some scam the seller is trying pull. Incidentally, I am also having problems with my recent purchase of the Hasbro Toy Shop Soundwave. That is also still pending. So I have both a refund and a payment in limbo. And yet, a purchase I made for a figure yesterday on Ebay went through right away! :banghead: 

18. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    File a claim with Ebay as well. It might expedite things.

19. Slimaximus

Slimaximus Headmaster

News Credits:
    Welcome to paypal LOL, The SDCC Soundwave pending is common they make sure funds are available but don't put the charge through until the item ships, the refund will take 3-5business days(the time it takes the money to be removed from his bank acct and into paypals hands)

Hope that info helps you, sounds like your in the clear with the refund

20. Mirage232

Thanks for the info. It has been so long since I had to have something refunded to me through Paypal, that I figured that I would get it right away, much like when I make a payment. I forgot that I had to wait a few business days for it to go through. I'm also glad to hear that it is a common case for Hasbro Toy Shop to wait until shipping time. Thanks again. :)