Customs: What's the best way to do panel lines?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by payton34, Apr 4, 2009.

1. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just got my City Commander reprolabels today and I'm wanting to do some panel lines on him to bring out more of the detail, but I've never done that before.

What's the best instrument to use for making panel lines, and what exactly is the process? Is it really as easy as it sounds (just marking in the grooves of the plastic)?

2. Drpee

Drpee Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the easiest way is to use Gundam markers.

3. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A 3x0(.25) Rapidograph with the color ink of your choice.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  4. payton34

News Credits:
    Can I get that at most craft & hobby stores? The only ones close to me are a Hobby Lobby and a Michael's.

Or is Ebay my best bet?

5. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Hey Mike,

Simple answer: Gundam Markers...they are made specifically for panel lining. I Grab Gundam markers from ebay. The ink seems to hold up much better than rapidographs or any other types. I've tried the beige and grey rapidographs from pearl or michaels...they suck and jam up after a few minutes. And they are quite expensive, hardly worth keeping care of, plus you'll probably want waterproof or permanent inks, which I've never seen in the store...

You want a felt type, not ball tip, the ball tip will get jacked up after a few minutes. I get mine from some sellers in China or Honk Kong via ebay, usually $1-2 each, and there are different colors. I have a drawer with about 20 in it. Make sure you get the ultra fine tip ones.

here's 3 for $1...can't get better than that.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/GUNDAM-MARKER-G...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

6. payton34

News Credits:
    Sweet, thanks for the info guys. Just snagged that gundam marker and I may go check out the rapidographs as well. Once everything's done I'll post some pics.

7. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Micheals will have that size Rapidograph and a few different inks available at the very least. They flow much better than any pen you can buy prefilled and once its out of ink or if you don't need that color anymore. Clean it out and fill it again.

As for jamming or messing up. Just take care of it and clean it if your not going to use it for a while is all. (If it ever does jam just run it on some clean paper and the ink flows steady again).

You can use the ink they come with or you can buy some Daler Rowney ink that most stores usually have. They are some of the best inks you can get your hands on and are colorfast and all that good stuff.

8. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I personally prefer doing a wash for my panel lines as opposed to the gundam markers, but the markers are easier to use.

With a wash you have to be careful of your base coat to not wipe it away, but if you use acrylics and then do a wash with enamels, then its a little easier to clean up your lines. Tamiya sprays also don't readily act with thinner, so those work nice as a base coat also.

Basically, after the base coat is applied, I take whatever color I want to use for my panel lines (be careful of this, because you wouldn't want to use black to panel line a yellow vehilce), and thin it to about 50/50. Then I take a brush that can hold paint but stilll comes to a nice point, let it soak up some paint, then I find a spot where several lines come together and very carefully touch the tip of the paint brush to the lines. Capillary action will do the rest, you will see the lines fill themselves. After the paint has dried, you can VERY carefully wipe away any excess with a paper towl damped in thinner.

This way is nice for highlighting areas in corners and crevices that naturally get dirty. Its a lot more involved, but I like the outcome better.

9. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    On bogg's comment, I've had good success with washes, but using acrylic on enamel bases. The water/acrylic won't budge my enamels, so if anything floods or gets effed up, it can be wiped away without effecting the paint underneath.

The panel lining markings are best for long straight lines, like on a plane's wing or something like that, the smaller details, I go w/ washes.

10. payton34

News Credits: