Whats the best Transformers comic book series?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by ErbFan28, Mar 20, 2012.

1. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've recently decided I want to get more into Transformers comic books. I know there are several different series including the original marvel series and the war within series(which I own). I would love to buy them all, but sadly I can't afford to do that. So, I need to narrow it down to one set.

What do you you guys believe is the best comic series?

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It's personal preference, but for me, it's hard to top the Marvel (including UK) G1 series when it's at it's best.

3. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Energon (No that isn't a joke).

4. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This.

5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    UK G1 series, imo. Although, in rereading them recently, I'll admit part of that is nostalgia talking.

The end of US G1 is pretty good, too. And US G2 is a good read, even if most of the art is hard to look at.

Dreamwave Armada and Energon were good, but left unfinished.

But honestly, if I'm trying to be objective, the current IDW stuff (post-ongoing) is probably about as good as TF comics ever have been... although we'll see if they can keep that up.

6. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I grew up with the Marvel comics and so on some level it will always be my favorite. Some of my all time favorite TF stories ever are from there. If you didn't grow up with it though... It's very much a comic of its day. So you have to be up for old school Marvel Comic's art and stories at times. Also, while it's got some amazing stories I love, it's also got some dips in quality too. Still it's HUGELY important to the history of the brand and SOOOO much of what defines TF fiction comes from here I kinda think all fans should read them.

The Dreamwave comics... The first two G1 miniseries are not very good. The ongoing is actually, IMO very good. BUT it's also TONS of set up that never gets paid off because DW folded just as they were getting to that. The MUST READS from DW are the MTMTE G1 character guides which are wonderful profile books and the first War Within mini which was quite good and has been very formative for "begining of the war" fiction and designs since.

With IDW I recomend the first 4 Furman miniseries (The "-ations" and Stormbringer) as a well written if occasionally a bit slow and methodical intro to the new "more realistic" IDW universe. A lot of the early spotlights are good too. I would mostly recommend skipping "All Hail Megatron" and most of the first IDW Ongoing as missguided at best, really poor at worst. The exception in the ongoing: "Chaos Theory" a 2 issue backstory of Prime and Megatron by then "guest writer" James Roberts are great and important.

The objectively BEST WRITTEN TF COMICS EVER IMO, are those written By James Roberts in recent times. Last Stand of the Wreckers miniseries was a revelation to many and easily ranks as one of the best mature TF stories ever told in any medium. His current run, starting with "The Death of Optimus Prime" and continuing in the current More Than Meets the Eye ongoing has been equally awesome and is just getting better and better. It's sister book by Barber is nearly as good. Both get my highest recomendation. Definately MUST READ stuff for any TF fan IMO.

-ZacWilliam, can recommend specific stories out of the Marvel run if you want...

7. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    Marvel G1 for me, but the current IDW ongoings (along with LSOTW) already outrank most of what we've had in the last ten years.

8. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    I haven't read any of the older stuff but More than Meets the Eye and Robots in Disguise has been quite enjoyable for me thus far.

9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Someday, I'll make myself read these. The story premise sounds great, and the bits of synopsis I've read make me think I'd love the story. But I have tried and tried and the art and coloring always make me quit after a few pages. I'd love it if IDW had the early minis at least recolored, or maybe printed in black and white. That would help me a lot to get through it. Or maybe even better, if IDW would publish all the original comic scripts from Furman... Just dialogue and panel descriptions with no art at all. Or maybe just illustrated with a few of Su's character design sketches here and there. I'd be all over an "-Ation" script book.

10. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    IDW G1 for me! :D 

11. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    My personal favorite is the IDW "itions" miniseries, with G1 Marvel a very close second.

12. Fisitronus

Fisitronus Wrecker

IDW Last Stand of the Wreckers is my fav!

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    The Marvel run. That's the UK, which also includes the US run, plus I'll throw in the G2 comic series for good measure. After that it all got a bit iffy and is only really starting to pull itself back up with the recent IDW MTMTE and RID comics. LSOTW is good too.

14. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Marvel Saga (UK version, which incorporates all the US stories).

Accept no substitutes.

15. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I think now is a good time to jump on a few different Transformers comics. For one, get the Marvel comic runs. IDW is releasing them in trades from both the US and UK; Amazon has them for killer prices right now. You probably won't get a better chance to get them then now.

Second, hop on the current IDW ongoings: More Than Meets The Eye and Robots In Disguise. Two great titles that come out twice a month.

Finally, Last Stand of The Wreckers is a very, very, very fun read. That too just came out in hardcover and someone every reader should pick up.

16. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    Dreamwave G1 & Any IDW with Roberts or Roche writting it for me.

17. Oracle_Aesir

Oracle_Aesir Outback is back

News Credits:
    MTMTE has been great so far, but in terms of a completed series? I'd have to go with Last Stand of the Wreckers

18. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have War Within and Universe comics. I really need to get into the IDW comics. I hear they're really good

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The new ones deffinately. Look for anything done by James Roberts or Nick Roche. That's a good starting point.

Avoid anything with Shane McCarthy or Mike Costa's name on it.

20. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I like McCarthy's Drift character though.